Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Large Member
787 Posts
Not for me. They are extremely annoying and the main reason I like riding a Goldwing, I can hear my music or sirens or the co pilot. Can even talk to other people at stop lights, who BTW, comment on how nice it DOESN'T sound. When I ride with my Harley friend, I'm always in front so I don't have to hear the damn thing. When we get to destination and off the bikes, he's yelling until his hearing returns. I have to sit 2 tables away to have a conversation :)

Reactions: limpy45

·
Premium Member
2,445 Posts
Loud Pipes piss off voters.

Reactions: siouxindian

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
I've pretty much "ridden the alphabet", and I know the harleys,Indians ,etc. weren't loud,from the factory,..until recently.
I prefer the throaty,rumble,to something that sounds like an artillery barrage !
Makes for a more pleasant ride,....and also explains why the Harley riders break down,a lot,.....they can't hear thos warning sounds,until it's too late !!

Reactions: corkya

·
Premium Member
3,777 Posts
I prefer the throaty,rumble,to something that sounds like an artillery barrage !
Makes for a more pleasant ride,....and also explains why the Harley riders break down,a lot,.....they can't hear thos warning sounds,until it's too late !!

I agree. I love the sound of a throaty v-twin, but most of todays riders just want loud. Honda hasn't made a decent sounding exhaust since the old CBX-1000 days.

I understand that the noise shouldn't intrude on your ride, but I like to know the bike is running with-out having to look at the tach.

Reactions: jhngardner367

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hot Rods

Loud pipes are on Harley's for the same reason headers and MagnaFlow mufflers are on muscle cars. C:cool2::cool2:L factor. Personally I have found loud pipes useful when a lane changer started moving over without looking. I popped the throttle and she jerked back to her lane, again without looking. It was quicker and louder than using my horn. Works like a charm. I am always watching the head of the person I'm coming up on to see where they are looking. Even if they don't look before they start switching lanes it's less of a surprise when you see it start to happen. To each his own. My Honda will be quiet, that should balance me out.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,650 Posts
I have always thought loud pipes were foolishness. They irritate me and lots of other people. They don't help anything and they make motorcycles less popular.

agree, but for me, I have poor hearing at best, and certain frequency noises make my ears actually hurt, and those HD straight pipes rank right up there at the top of the Hurt List. :frown2:

·
Magic Moderator
4,566 Posts
Sad part is some mobile home communities are not motorcycle friendly and some HOAs in communities may restrict motorcycles. (Gee I wonder why). Those who want to make a racket ruin it for those who don't. If you own a Goldwing even though it is quiet, you're S.O.L.

·
Registered
31 Posts
By the time Harley Bike Weeks in Myrtle Beach are over (Twice a Year) I've had my fill of loud pipes & bumper to bumper traffic.

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
I personally do not enjoy the sound of a loud bike, either loud exhaust (Straight pipes) or someone on a sport bike winding it out to the limits. That is a major complaint I hear when people see/hear them go by.

·
Administrator
26,145 Posts
I personally do not enjoy the sound of a loud bike, either loud exhaust (Straight pipes) or someone on a sport bike winding it out to the limits. That is a major complaint I hear when people see/hear them go by.
A 4 cyl. sport bike sounds good, and they are gone pretty quick so you don't have to listen long. A noisy V twin is just irritating and stays in hearing range too long.

Reactions: limpy45

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,650 Posts
you mean like today on the Talimena Trail where it is a Double Yellow for 40 friggin miles???

if they don't pull off, we are stuck behind those loud things.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.