Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

How much do you spend for an oil change?

• Approx ~$15: DITY Oil and Filter

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Approx ~$25: DITY Synthetice and Filter

• Less than $25: Std Dealer/Service Oil Change

• $25-$40 Std Dealer/Service Oil Change

• + $40 Std Dealer/Service Oil Change

• Less than 50: Synthetic Dealer/Serv Oil Change

• +$50 Synthetic Dealer/Service Oil Change

• And, I do not change oil for my vehicle(s)

• And, I DITY oil change for my vehicles(s)

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Here is a poll to identify how much we pay for an oil change on our wings and to see if we service our oil changes or not.

There are a few other questions so multiple entries are allowed.

Jiffy Lubes here do not serviceMCfor oil changes.

Poll to run 10 days.

·
Premium Member
814 Posts
imported post

first oil change was done by the dealer. 2ond oil change I did myself. For me, it was easy and I will continue to do it myself and spend the extra money I save for trinkets on the bike:D

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
imported post

I'm the one that picked the dot - (.)

By the time I buy a jug of Rotella, and a filter - I'm well over $15.00.

(I don't let other folks work on my equipment)

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
imported post

Well, I can't decide which to select. I just changed my own oil, taking advice from the latest oil threads here.

Four quarts Mobil 1 synthetic motorcycle oil, with tax: about $39

One Honda OEM oil filter from stealership: $16

You have to write your own time off as valueless, but it's far from that. Still, I've got $55 in my personally performed oil change, using what I decided were the best products to take care of the bike that takes care of me and my bride. Lots of money, and I'd love to find less expensive sources for the above products. I've looked and asked, then just pulled out my wallet.

·
Premium Member
659 Posts
imported post

I do the oil and filter on the bike but can't come in anywhere near the $15 to $25 mark. In general I buy a gallon of non-synthetic Honda oil from the stealership and a NAPA filter.

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
imported post

I enjoy tinkering so I always change it myself. It is getting harder to dispose of old oil though. What do you guys do with it?

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

Actually, less than $15, thank you Wal*mart....

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
imported post

I put the used oil back in the 5 qt container and take it to the county recycling center. Auto parts stores will generally take it also.

I've always used Valvoline 10/40 car oil and Fram filters from Walmart. Yes, I'm cheap but it works just fine.

Q

whitehouse wrote:
I enjoy tinkering so I always change it myself. It is getting harder to dispose of old oil though. What do you guys do with it?

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
imported post

whitehouse wrote:
Anyplace that sells new oil should accept used oil. CA might be more strict but I always take it to an auto parts store. I suggest invest in a quality drain pan/carry-jug.

What is DITY? I voted for the under $15 category but wondering about the DITY. I'm assuming it means something along the lines of DO IT YOURSELF but the T is something I haven't seen before.

Happy New Year and many more oil changes!

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

mikef wrote:
Actually, less than $15, thank you Wal*mart....
Yep. Delo-400 and Super-Tech filter together < $15 at WalMart.

Good stuff and works better than a charm.

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

What is DITY? I voted for the under $15 category but wondering about the DITY. I'm assuming it means something along the lines of DO IT YOURSELF but the T is something I haven't seen before.
I guess the proper term would beDIY. DITY is more common with the military and maybe more appropriate with aPCS DITY move. Do it yourself - move vs GBL - Gov Bill of Laden.

---------------

Maybe mycosts are off... becauseI have not changed oil in quite a while, doh!

Actually, I was hoping one of ya'll wouldpost the cost of an oil change at the dealer. I know we here are more of abiased sample group and tend to perform more maintenance and oil changes, but surely there is a busy man (lazy man) among us that routinely and religiously gets his oil changed at the shop. +90 percent of the people I know go to JiffyLube. What does the dealer charge in your area?

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

I use a small local shop that charges $31 for the car or truck.

Oil
Filter
Grease

Washes front windshield
Checks air in tires
Vacuums the front
Tops off all fluids
Checks for lights working

·
Premium Member
4,910 Posts
imported post

I change all my own oil/filters...and I give the drain oil to a guy who uses it to heat his auto-trans business shop thru the winter. :goofygrin: Free heat, but I doubt the USEPA would approve...:shock:

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
imported post

My last change I went to Amsoil 10/40 + Amsoil filter. I change it myself, and it was still $56. Unless it's warranty work, I use a trusted local independent for everything else.

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

Oh, it cost you, alright.....:cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
imported post

my local independant shop charges $60 for 4qts of pensoil conventional motorcycle oil 10w40 & a fram filter if they do it.

i can get 5qts of shell conventional (car) 10w40 & a proline (pep boys brand) auto filter for $10 package deal. the honda odosey (& most of the honda autos) use the same filter & it fits the gl1500 even though there is no official cross reference stating the auto filter fits the gl1500.

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

Wouldn't work for me. I'd be in there every 4 days or so........:cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
2,419 Posts
imported post

It's working good, here. Last time I went in, they changed out my rear end oil for free. One time I wanted to order something and pay for it when it got here. They told me the only way they would do that, was if there was an existing PO for job in progress. Ok........oil change!

You'd think they would be getting a little 'tired' of this. Not so. Couldn't care less. Can't wait to see what happens when I pull this on another dealer.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.