Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

It's quite embarrassing. When I'm on a ride with all the buddies or especially while in a parade-type run...to throttle my wing it hesitates bad. It makes it difficult to travel at real low speeds or while at a stop trying to pull onto the hwy...it's nerve racking. Like it may stall as I get on the hwy. May wife keeps slapin me as if I'm playin round as we herky-jerk til the rpms smooth out and we get running at a decent speed.
WHAT'S GOIN ON WITH MY RIDE? Anyone have an idea??!!
I have had the carbs looked at already. I'm just not sure how reliable the technician was but I heard good things and he said the carbs were good to go.

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
imported post

Still sounds like a carb issue/fuel starvation. Put a little Sea Foam in the tank & see if it improves. Did they replace fuel filter?

If its still running like crap take the bike back to where the carbs were done & have them recheck/take for a ride so they can see what's going on. If you've paid your money you should get something for it.

Not familiar with 1500 but they all need the same fuel,spark & air.

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

What is your idle speed??

·
Premium Member
1,847 Posts
imported post

sorry could be a multitude of things, plugs, air filter dirty, plug leads tracking coil problem, fuel starvation, timing problems etc, check all the basic stuff like plugs leads etc first, air filter and so on

·
Premium Member
465 Posts
imported post

From what I understand, both the 88's and 89's had that hesitation until Honda corrected it. I have an 88 that had the same problem and I know what you mean by nerve racking! The solution is to change the timing wheel to the aftermarket 4* one. I just did mine this winter and WOW what a difference. Use the search for trigger wheel. Lot's of good info here.

Even with your bike having only 10K on it, the belts are still 20yrs old. Change them while your doing the advance trigger wheel and you'll have a rocket.

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

bout 225lbs? is that a pick up line? i thought we were here to talk bout riding gold wings?

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

unfortunately i'm not a mechanic...sounds like an expensive venture but i will ask my local dealer what this would cost. thanks for the info!

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
imported post

Rebuild the carbs. Triggers help.

How long have you had this bike, and what is its history?

Rebuilds are pretty really time consuming on a GoldWing. The dealer will dig deep into your pockets and try and take some of your ass also. A rebuilt carb is really just a very good cleaning on the inside.

You really need to get the carbs in tip top condition, IMO. The bike is too heavy, and throttle response in very important when riding.

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
imported post

If your carbs are not the problem, find the vacuum leak.

First, I'd pull the shelter and airfilter, then look at the carbs with the bike running to see if both vacuum pistons are reacting the same. If there seems to be some sticking, some light oil, WD-40, may free them up, sometimes you can get the same benefit with Sea-Foam in the gas tank.

Next, if that looks OK, pull the spark plugs and look for anything out of the ordinary, color not the same, black or wet.

Then if you still haven't located the problem, you'll be were you need to to find vacuum leaks. With all the plactic off, run the engine and lightly spray carb cleaner at one vacuum hose at a time, the change in idle will point to a vacuum leak, replace or trim the hose to eliminate the leak.

The '89's should not have had the low speed problem as that was cured late in '88.

·
Ole Guy
171 Posts
imported post

Just an idea: I had a similar problem until this weekend on my 1985 GL1200. Since you have low mileage, it means it had lots of time for deposit to build up in the cards and rings, lifters, oil passages, etc. My Wing ran okay at speed, but the low end and slow accelerations it always sputtered. A lifter chatter noise always came and went.

Two years ago I ran about four of five tanks of gas with Marvel Mystery Oil. It improved and reduces some of the sputtering, it started easier. The lifter noise did not improve.

Yesterday I change the oil, but ran a container of Gunk MotorFlush. Add to oil and run engine for five minutes, then change oil. To my surprise it actually worked and made a pretty darn good difference. The engine fired up easily and did not sputter as usual. I then drove it 80 miles at 75 mph. It seemed smoother and accelerated clean from low end to the red line. Then this morning I returned and paid more attention to the performance and did a few experiments to see just how much it improved. Pulling a slight grade, I started and just let it idle along, each time it top outI up shifted anddid this up to fifth gear. It chugged and the drive train clanked, but the engine hit smooth. Then some throttle to about 15 mph in third at 1500 rpm, it ran pretty darn well and smooth -- this is where it sputtered the most. I am impressed with the difference this product made. I am going to assume, the lifter oil passages were cleaned and they might be operating as they should. Maybe a ring or two were stuck in the grooves. I will never really know what it improved or cleaned, but it made a big difference where I expected little if anything. The lifters never chattered once as theyalways didon every ride, so I’ll assume at this early stage they are cured too. I am happy and feel like riding some more.

Ole Guy

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.