Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after a long long decision on what to due and watching and reading up on the stater change I have made the decision to put a alt. on my bike. I would love to put the stater in but just can't due to the time and room to pull the engine. I am not quite sure about the little wire out of the alt. Does it go the the ignition terminal ? I know the big one goes to the batt. I found a one wire 70amp Denso Mini alt. for $99 thanks. MCFF

·
Alaskan Explorer on a Valk
564 Posts
The wire needs to be attached on any circuit that is live when the key is turned on.
That is your exciter wire to tell the alt to start working. Do NOT hook it to a line that is always alive-like your clock. If you do it will drain your battery. I plugged mine on the plug for the stator.
Best thing I did for my wing is putting the alt on it.

·
Impersonating a mechanic
1,134 Posts
. I am not quite sure about the little wire out of the alt. Does it go the the ignition terminal ? I know the big one goes to the batt. I found a one wire 70amp Denso Mini alt. for $99 thanks. MCFF

I think most people put the exciter wire on the accessory terminal in the fuse box. That's what I did too.

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
Ditto Wilcoy02,

I installed my Poorboy 3 years ago, by far the best upgrade you can do to a 1200.
Not one electrical issue since installed. I installed my exciter wire in the plug where the regulator was removed.
Just turn your key on and find the wire with a test light.

Ride Safe,
Goodoni

·
Registered
767 Posts
What kind of pulley is on the alternator? Did you get the one wire Denso or what?

What I put on mine was the one wire mini Denso, and it comes with a vbelt pulley. What I found is the largest pulley you can use, and still have the inner cover bolt pass, is 2.65 inch pulley. I just used a 2.65 inch alternator pulley for the drive pulley and raised the idle to 1200 rpm.

Some say a drive pulley that size is not large enough, but so far it has been adequate as I don't live in the city and sit around idling much. As I remember the Denso mini one wire's charge cuts in at 1200 rpm, and continues charging until it is stopped turning. I think Don Piggot used to use a 1:00 to 1:00 ratio, and later switched to a larger drive pulley to make it charge at idle.

I don't remember the bolt size myself, but you can just take the bolt to with you to get a longer one.
Hope some of this helps. In doing it without buying the kit is far cheaper, but not easier to do.

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
the black wire on the mc side of the regulator connector can be used and its already fused

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
Ditto Wilcoy02,

I installed my Poorboy 3 years ago, by far the best upgrade you can do to a 1200.
Not one electrical issue since installed. I installed my exciter wire in the plug where the regulator was removed.
Just turn your key on and find the wire with a test light.

Ride Safe,
Goodoni
I wired my alternator the same way nine years ago , best thing you can do to old goldwing,

·
big PIA
1,369 Posts
I have a question about the poor boy, do you need to get different radiator hoses? And what get used for spacer between pulley and crank?

·
Just Winging It
3,324 Posts
Well after a long long decision on what to due and watching and reading up on the stater change I have made the decision to put a alt. on my bike. I would love to put the stater in but just can't due to the time and room to pull the engine.
From everything I've read over the years it takes more work, time, and money to install a poorboy than to replace both the stator and rectifier.

A stator was changed a couple years ago.

The guys first time pulling the engine he rented a storage unit and did the job in 8 hours. Cost him between $300 & $400 for everything IIRC.

The engine is relatively easy to remove. I thought it would be harder until I did it on my parts bike. My stator is still limping along but I bought an OEM stator and rectifier for under $120 on ebay (separately $60 for the stator and $55 for the reg/rec) so it will cost me less when the time comes.

Hope all goes well with your project.

I would think it would give the bike more power if you remove the stator you are not using. Just my 2 cents.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
the OEM stator will have zero effect on engine power, provided it is not hooked up electrically to anything. If it is not supplying current, it is just a rotating mass.
I beg to differ.
If the stator is shorted it could rob up to 0.5HP and 0.0005 M/G in fuel.:ROFL::ROFL:

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
JeffMayfield,

A halfway capable backyard mechanic can to the poorboy in the same amount of time, but with a lot less difficulty, and the stator will fail again - its just a matter of time.
If you do need to replace the poorboy in the future, its a 10 minute fix. The startor on the 1200's was the Achilles heal of that model, the poorboy cures the issue.
I appreciate that 1200 owners want to keep the bikes as original as possible, but the poorboy is the way the bike should have been designed from the start.
I was actually considering dumping my 1200, once I installed the poorboy - i no longer have that urge.

Just my 2 cents.

Ride Safe
Goodoni.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.