Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone out there know if the Poor Boy Conversion kits are still available for the 1200's.
I understand that Don has passed away? His website seems to be down. I am in need of a new charging system.
Is the stator the only option left?

·
Administrator
21,865 Posts
Stator is probably the easiest option. And much cheaper.

The motor doesn't actually have to come out. Slide it left and turn it a little and the stator cover will come off. Have your stator rewound by a reputable shop, put it back in, you're back on the road in less than a week.

The conversions are expensive, require cutting away at the bike frame and many parts, plus the fairing lowers never fit back on correctly.

·
Registered
218 Posts
:surprise: Here's likely a better option.

1. If you were able to find a mechanic. to do job? $250.00
2. A cost of New Life Stater? $125.00 - $275.00
3. If you are able to do change-out? $0.00 - unless
you did not do change-out correctly (lost parts intalled
backward, ect... Burned out wiring $1400.00 to $3000.00
for new GoldWing
4. I did the Poorboy change-out using the help of
others postings on this forum............. $345.00

5. But what do I know??? :ROFL:

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
Hell, I don't know. I hear there's a guy in Buick who does good work. That's up your way. >:)
I've heard you to refer to this "Reputable Shop" many a time.
I just want it's location.
When/if I'm in need I will pay the shipping both ways but an address of (Reputable Shop, Somewhere, Earth) might not be enough.:surprise:

·
Roll Tide
105 Posts
I would do the clutch too.I just replaced stator,clutch,water pump on my 1983 interstate.Pulled the motor out and put it back MYSELF.Im 60 years old with a bad back and knees.

·
It aint rocket science
3,809 Posts

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
I have to agree, I did my poorboy 3 years ago.
It is the single best modification to the 1200, once installed - not 1 electrical issue.
Best $300.00 bucks I spent.

Not a hard job at all, just mt two cents!

Goodoni
Ride Safe!

·
Administrator
57,487 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
if i may add,i did mine myself during my wintertime here in Quebec.if you are manual or have a friend that will help.it cost me + or - 150$ for all my parts.Alternator is new from Rockauto.on goldwingdocs.com there are many photos and how to do the job.Good luck.Gervais

1 - 20 of 42 Posts