Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

hi my 1500 keeps fouling its plugs.

it runs really bad on low revs when the weathersvery coldchecked and sealed for damp plus i dont think its damp as i can ride all day in the rain with out a problem

i have checked the warm air systemto the carbs this is working ok

new air fillter/plugs.

carbs are running perfect in till its very cold.

the plugsare black and sooty which would indicate a weak mix

other than cold days the bike runs perfect and if you let it run on cold days till its fully warm then it clears its self and runs ok again

what does the TA sensor do?

thanks for any help

Glenn/uk

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Any possibility the choke is sticking and not opening fully?

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

While I am not a GURU ,,if your plugs are black and sooty ,it means that it is running too rich not too weak ,,it sounds like your choke is sticking on ,,possibly theinner cable is rusting,,if it is only happening when the bike is cold ,it is probably the fact that you put the choke on and it takes forever to come off ,,after the bike has warmed up ...you would only use the choke when it is cold ,,,if it is a sticking choke it will eventually come off but very slowly,,But as I say I am not a GURU and no doubt you will get pointed in the right direction by them ,:waving:,,cheers Ciaran

·
Premium Member
407 Posts
imported post

Hi Glennuk

The problem is only occuring on first startwhen the choke is on and the engine is cold - yes?
NGK DPR6 plugs are recommended for cold running.

Once the engine is warm the problem goes away - yes?

When are you checking your plugs?
after a long run of normal riding , if the plugs are black and sooty after a 10 - 15 minute run you surely have a mixture problem - it is running too rich [i will assume there are no clouds of blue smoke], the mixture needs to be set, or the operation of the choke needs to be checked as it may not be opening fully.

Carb Icing is another common problem at this time of year ,do you have a standard exhaust system or an after market one?

Thanks

BB

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

sorryI ment rich .chokes all good.I been reading up today and i to now think it could be plugs as it keeps poping up in the manuals or carb iceing but i thought modern fuel had additives to stop this

thanks Glenn/uk.

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

Hi glennuk, modern fuels have additives (methyl hydrate)that keep water in the fuel from freezing in the fuel lines and tank. Carb icing is another issue alltogether, icing occurs when the moisture in the air going into the carb freezes inside the carb throat causing the engine to run too rich by choking off the airflow.

I would try installing new plugs with a hotter heat range and see what happens. Also make sure your engine operating temp is proper, if not change the thermostat.

Vic

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
imported post

My 1500 dosn't like the cold either .It lives outside at the moment (waiting for its new shed ) and gets started up every couple of weeks and runs rough for a good 5 minutes + untill its fully warmed up. A couple of times i've given up as it just wont clear . Once its warm it runs sweet . This is my first year with it so i'm still learning but its had me worried. Never mind springs on the way !!!!!!!!

Ever optimistic allan in chilly Glasgow

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
imported post

allan

i changed my plugson monday to the cold weatherNGK DPR 6and so far so good

starts and runsgreat no cold start spluter:clapper: i will keep you posted

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.