Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Replaced the stator on a 1986 gold wing 1200. The man that owns the gold wing told use that in order to fix it and put on the poor boy we had to open up the motor and replace it but the instructions said we did not have to do that but after it was fixed and started and was warming up the motor locked. Was it something we did or was it the motor it self? He said it talked to a honda repair person and he said we had to open the motor to get to the alternator but this bike has a stator who is right?

·
Administrator
27,122 Posts
If you had used a period once in a while your post would be more understandable. I fixed it for you. A stator is an alternator. A poor boy is an automotive alternator added on to the engine when someone doesn't want to replace the stator. Did you replace the stator or was it an external alternator?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you had used a period once in a while your post would be more understandable. I fixed it for you. A stator is an alternator. A poor boy is an automotive alternator added on to the engine when someone doesn't want to replace the stator. Did you replace the stator or was it an external alternator?
we replaced the alternator

·
Administrator
27,122 Posts
we replaced the alternator
with the stator with the poorboy
That makes no sense. Did you or did you not open remove the engine and replace the stator inside the rear case? Does it also have an external alternator mounted on the left front of the engine? If you did by chance remove the engine and replace the stator & did anything with the bolt in the center of the alternator rotor inside the rear case then it might have backed off and locked the engine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That makes no sense. Did you or did you not open remove the engine and replace the stator inside the rear case? Does it also have an external alternator mounted on the left front of the engine? If you did by chance remove the engine and replace the stator & did anything with the bolt in the center of the alternator rotor inside the rear case then it might have backed off and locked the engine.
no we did not open the motor at all

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,900 Posts
your last two posts don't tell what you really did.

it if has an Automotive Alternator on it , ala a Poor Boy modification, you cannot use the Stator to replace the Alternator

Pictures are worth a 1000 words, of which you do not use enough words to tell us any thing

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
I think he is not sure of the difference between and alternator and stator.
I bet he has the external poorboy alternator. I bet he never took the engine apart. He just added the external poorboy alternator. When he started the motor it quit.
My fear is that working inside the timing covers while installing the crank sprocket, he made some kind of mistake. That ended with a broken belt. Probably bent valves and locked up???????????????????????

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,999 Posts
I like Mike's translation the best, though, trying to make sense of what we're reading is nearly impossible.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I am in UK and totaly confused as to what is happening to this one!
They do say we are two countries separated by the same language!!

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,900 Posts
I did some research, every post was the same IP address on ComCast Cable and it locates him in the "deep" south drawl where I cannot understand a word they are saying.

Ambridge Pennsylvania

·
Registered
159 Posts
I'm in PA and Ambridge is north of Pittsburgh, for cryin' out loud. It doesn't get much more 'northern' than that...lol. By way of clarification, I don't understand the post either. Most of us here in PA use punctuation or, at least, try to use it correctly. Sorry I can't help.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Huum,looks like the forum may need to be limited to college professional Goldwing riders.

·
Registered
538 Posts
No, just needs people that think about what they are asking and ask clearly

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
No, just needs people that think about what they are asking and ask clearly
In a perfect world where everyone that needs help,knows exactly the proper name for parts they have questions about but that’s not always the senerio,some posters are REALLY NEW about mechanical workings of a motorcycle so they ask ( what seems to someone that has had and worked on motorcycles,) not to brilliant questions and need help,not an English assignment.

Reactions: dpbrio

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
In a perfect world where everyone that needs help,knows exactly the proper name for parts they have questions about but that’s not always the senerio,some posters are REALLY NEW about mechanical workings of a motorcycle so they ask ( what seems to someone that has had and worked on motorcycles,) not to brilliant questions and need help,not an English assignment.
That is where whatchamacallit and doohickeys come in. Can you remember Whatchamacallit candy bars????

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Huum,I do not,I’m a Baby Ruth guy.😂😂

Reactions: redwing52
1 - 20 of 21 Posts