Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

My bike seems tuned well now -- all plugs read normal/tan, good idle. I'm getting 34mpg in the city/40imp. I'm still getting popping out the left exhaust. Air-cut valve is good. No hesitation to speak of. I'm wondering if it may be holes in the exhaust? My points static timing is bang on, and points brand new. Could this be from a battery no longer holding a load? Also there are definite chafe marks in the spark plug lead wire insulation on that side. I seem to get a fat blue spark though.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Mag, under what conditions to you get popping? I doubt it's your battery as long as it's staying charged enough to start the bike. Wrap a few layers of electrical tape over the chafed portion of the HV lead. You can also watch for spark leakage in the dark, often you can see blue sparks jumping from the wire to the frame or other places they shouldn't.

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks, Paul. That's what i figured, re: battery. I get popping mostly on downthrottle, but ocassional acceleration, but only out of one side. All the air-cut valve o-rings are good. No vacuum leaks. I'll look for arcing in the dark, and then put some electrical tape on. Is that mileage about right for city use? I always got 40mpg with this bike in good tune (Imp gallons), which is the mileage it's getting now. Seems a shock to get only 33/34 US gallons, but according to Randakk, spirited riding yields 34-36mpg, and Honda states 40mpg (probably hwy use). The bike also has a K&N reusable filter in it, which was serviced recently. I wonder if this is restricting air flow, or possibly too much?

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

If you wonder about the K&N filter, you could hook up a vacuum gauge and then with the engine running around 3000rpm, open the airbox over the filter and see how much change if any you got. If the vacuum dropped a couple inches of mercury it would indicate the filter is restricting the airflow.

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
imported post

I'm a new user of this forum and havn't owned a goldwing all that long but have been running and working on bikes since I was 14. I am now not 14 any more and have double digit experience with the pleasure of riding and wrenching on motorcycles.

Now all the preambles are out of the way, I had the same problem with my 84 wing and did all the things one first thinks of. Lean carb, gas filter fuel pump ect. ect. It turned out to be bad seals on the mufflers.On deceleration with throttle closed it would suck air into the pipe till it got to the point that enough oxygen was in a fuel rich environment that the heat would ignite the mix and produce a backfire.

Well after that long winded spew of verbage, Check the clamps on the bike where the mufflers fasten to the header pipes and also the crossover pipe might be rusted.

Just my 2 cents worth, Good Luck

Nickpipe2;)

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

well suggested, Nickpipe. It has to be it. I recently put on a set of OEM used mufflers, with new seals, but maybe didn't get them on completely on one side.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

:waving::waving:Welcome to the Best Goldwing Site on the Internet, Nickpipe2!:waving::waving:

Interesting post,hadn't come across that before, now if I can only remember it!:dude:

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
imported post

Good luck with the backfire prob. Mag, you might check the exhaust o-rings at the head also. I've seen them go bad and cause backfireing on decel.

Thanks for the howdy Exavid, I'll be around a lot as I am currently referbing an 84 GL1200

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

I'd be more inclined to think it's the header gaskets, though they are just copper ones. Not sure how that would affect things. I'm pretty certain that with new muffler 'packing' at the header/muffler clamps there were no leaks there. Any suggestions on checking for leaks, other than burning my fingers?

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

I was able to get about 20-25º turn on the header bolts. It seems to have quieted down the popping considerably. i'll try a little more tightening (with box wrench/hand) when the bike's cold. Sure is running like a champ now.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Just don't get too enthusiastic reefing down on those exhaust nuts.

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Yes, you're right Exavid. Tight is tight. Anything more than what it's probably at risks stripping, and would signal new gaskets needed anyway.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.