Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I’m currently on an ‘87 Goldwing 1200 interstate. my biggest concern with it currently is it makes a single pop noise upon start-up every now and then. It’s been like this since last season so I was hoping for some advice on where to start looking

·
Administrator
27,362 Posts
Pop noise from where?

Reactions: Shadowblitz1

·
Administrator
27,362 Posts
Maybe some unburned fuel in the exhaust that gets ignited when hot exhaust hits it. Does it run smooth?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Maybe some unburned fuel in the exhaust that gets ignited when hot exhaust hits it. Does it run smooth?
Apart from a different issue it runs pretty smooth. Struggles to start in the morning. Usually have to choke it every time and am greeted with a cloud of white smoke from exhaust. Only after it’s sat and cooled down

·
Registered
16 Posts
My 95 did this a few times. I read somewhere that it was due to a less than fully charged battery (something to do with a relay). I went for a long ride and it stopped doing it. Keen to hear others' thoughts and experiences.

Sent from my CPH1979 using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
61,134 Posts
If you leave it on the Side Stand overnight,
that is not uncommon.

as for the smoke?
that will stop if you make it a habit to ALWAYS put it on the Center Stand.

and I do, I never use the Side Stand except to get off the bike, and then I immediately put it on the Center Stand.... even going into a restaurant, or filling it with gas.

·
Registered
1984 Honda Goldwing Aspencade
2 Posts
I think I am experiencing the same thing on my '84 aspen. after a cold start i hear pops, and i assumed it was just maybe some backfires as she warms up, especially if i start riding kinda quickly after starting it.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,086 Posts
'84s are a bear to get on the center stand. But...the '87s float up with ease.
White smoke would indicate coolant/water. Where do you live? It might be condensation in the exhaust headers. Make sure the drain holes aren't plugged up.

That gray looks pretty good, nearly stock. Please don't ruin it. How many miles? They used to sell a matching seat cover for the black seats on eBay...still there.

Honda GL1200 Seat Cover GoldWing 1987 Aspencade GL1200A Interstate GL1200i 228 | eBay

·
Registered
1 Posts
So I’m currently on an ‘87 Goldwing 1200 interstate. my biggest concern with it currently is it makes a single pop noise upon start-up every now and then. It’s been like this since last season so I was hoping for some advice on where to start looking View attachment 325473
vaccuum leak.
So I’m currently on an ‘87 Goldwing 1200 interstate. my biggest concern with it currently is it makes a single pop noise upon start-up every now and then. It’s been like this since last season so I was hoping for some advice on where to start looking View attachment 325473
vaccuum leak

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
balance the carbs one or two is richer than the others

·
Registered
2008 GL1800 Airbag "Titanium Torpedo". Former 1987 GL1200.
14 Posts
I recently had a '87 GL1200 Interstate just like that, but with some pinstriping. Very easy to get up on the centerstand. Almost rolled back effortlessly. After getting used to wrestling my GL1800 on the center stand (much harder), the next time I put the 1200 up, I nearly threw it into the air. Don't have it any more (pic below). I had problems galore with pops, rough idling, hard starts, etc. until I had the carbs rebuilt by the local Honda dealer. Evidently, it sat for a long time. Rebuild not cheap ($600), but they did a great job, and had no problems after that. They had to try a few different jets to get the mixture just right, but they did. Others have said (and I agree) that these 1200's are cold-blooded, so it always had to be choked to start, but that's why the choke is there. After warm-up, ran great with choke off. So, I'd bet that if you rebuilt the carbs correctly and get them balanced just right, it would run great. If it has problems when sitting on the side stand, then the carbs need rebuilt because the float valve is leaking (I think). I did not have that problem after rebuild. I really liked that bike, but wanted something bigger and newer- hence the 1800. But, I will say that I will never own another bike with carbs. And, I'll bet the new owner will not have problems with my old 1200 for years to come because of the carb rebuild.
00J0J_kkmcGr9AuvL_600x450.jpg

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
1986 GL1200 interstate 132,000 miles on it now, bought it new in 1986, still runs great, a little tender loving care goes a long ways. I am 74 years old now and this is the last bike I will ever buy.

·
Registered
286 Posts
These bikes were set up lean to pass emissions tests. Gets worse with age from corrosion. I secretly would drill pilot jets 1 size over with micro drill bits. Customers praised me saying it ran better than new.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 33 Posts