Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

sheesh, I sure am asking a lot of questions lately :/I just went for a test ride after putting in new plugs. It was difficult to start because it tipped --slowly- onto one side from soft tarmac giving way whilst on the center stand (and, yes, then the other after I picked it up) :(  thank DOG for crash bars (no damage at all)After I got it started, I noticed popping upon decelerating or downshifting whilst driving around town - at most 45mph.Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

no, well, not by my definition. I think a backfire is much louder. this was very low volume and somewhat "continuous," since it was happening in series. I guess some people might call it backfiring.. ?

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

Okay... low-grade backfiring?

If it doesn't go away after re-timing the ignition, it's probablythe air cutoff valve on top of the carbs. Rebuild kits cost less than $20 and it's easy to do.

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

You said "popping".. is it making that noise thru the carbs?? Or, the exhaust pipes? Popping usually is thru the carbs..

Does it do that hot or cold or all the time while riding?

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
imported post

I am having the same problem , its more like a cough back through the carb when i let of the gas . it happens warm or cold . also in the upper gears if i give it throttle it it revs fine but if i give it full throttle it makes a sound i can only describe as horible valve tapping with no go.any ideas would be appreciated i am tired of beating my head against the wall. document.write('/forums/images/emoticons/emoticonsxtra/baffled.gif');

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
imported post

My 85 ltd (FUEL injedcted) made a similar noise up inthe nether regions of southern colorado on the downgrades of a couple of the really high passes back in june.

A very mild back fire caused by it being a little too rich maybe?

bob

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

:waving::waving: Welcome to the World's Greatest Goldwing Site smackpappy! :waving::waving:

The cough or backfire could be a bad air control valve. I don't know how they're set up on the GL1000, on the 1100 there's a diaphragm on each carb, mounted on the side of each carb with a little cover held on with two screws. On the 1200 it's a single valve located under the plenum. The purpose of the air cutoff valve is to prevent backfiring into the mufflers. You really need the service manual for these bikes. The Clymer manual is better than the Haynes and the Honda manual from Helm Inc. is the best of the bunch. Take a look at Randakk's site, he's pretty much the expert on the GL1000, lots of information at his site that you can't get anywhere else.

Randakk's Cycle Shakk

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
imported post

:baffled:the bike was backfiring when i first got it and i rebuilt the carbs using randdaks carb kit and the air cutoff valve as well this stopped the backfiring but it is still coughing it is a distinctly different sound. i had the air box off and when it coughs it actualy forces air back through the intake.this can be heard out of both pipes. the engine runs ok but i wouldn't say that it runs great. i think whatever is causing the coughing is robbing me of power, although i still average 38 MPG.:stumped:

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

Exavid

The 1000 has a single cut off valve that services all 4 carbs. It is a marginal system andis usuall the #1 suspect for backfiring under decelleration. I think that is why the shift to 4 valves on the 1100??

Smackpappy/ Sanfelice

Seeing as you have recently changed the valve then the next likely susect for popping and poor performance is timing. If you have not tried the split timing technique listed on Randakk's pages I highly recommend it.

Two other thoughts come to mind and they are Cam Timing and Carb Balalnce.

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

sanfelice wrote:
sheesh, I sure am asking a lot of questions lately :/I just went for a test ride after putting in new plugs. It was difficult to start because it tipped --slowly- onto one side from soft tarmac giving way whilst on the center stand (and, yes, then the other after I picked it up) :( thank DOG for crash bars (no damage at all)After I got it started, I noticed popping upon decelerating or downshifting whilst driving around town - at most 45mph.Any ideas?
sanfelice, assuming you didn't pull a plug wire or vacuum hose loose while lifting the bike back up, & you didn't dislodge a lot of dirt from the bottom of the fueltank & feed that into the fuel supply,,I would suspect you pulled a muffler loose or otherwise caused an exhaust leak from the tip-over..

Any air leaking into the exhaust system,, from a pin hole, to a leaking muffler joint, to a leaking pipe to cyl head gasket, to any damage,,can & will cause a popping in the exhaust on decel.. Look closely at the exhaust system (especially the side that was on the bottom during the tip-over).. If any leaks found repair them..

Twisty

·
Banned
1,234 Posts
imported post

I'm having the same type of problem, I had just purchased this bike a week ago. it has a Jardine exhaust recently put on, not sure if jets were redone or not. Also while riding, it seems like a loose a little bit of power then comes back. Not sure what the issue is, but other than that, the bike rides good.

Any one in Hinesville, GA or close by have any knowledge working on these

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
imported post

Had the same issue on my 78.Turned out to be defective exaust manifold gaskets.First check to see that all the bolts on the exaust system are tight.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.