Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Has anyone had any luck running a hand held CB on a GL1000 without unacceptable static? I have 2 portable CB radios, Midland and Cobra and both of them crackle badly when the engine is running. I also have some FRS and GMRS radios that we tried to use on a trip last summer but the noise on those was also unacceptable. The bike has a Dynatek ignition instead of points which I thought might help, and it has a noise reducing capacitor on the regulator.

Any chance that resistor plugs would do the trick, or grounded metal sleeves over the plug wires? Would a automotive type CB work better?

Q

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts
imported post

Are you running them off bike power or batteries?

John

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Have tried them both ways but would prefer to run them off the bike's electrical system.

Q

Jluvs2dive wrote:
Are you running them off bike power or batteries?

John

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts
imported post

For using bike power, you can put a filter on the power connection, but that's not going to help if you're having the problem even running them on batteries. Resistor plugs might help. Where did you have your radios when using them on the bike? Did you try different positions?

John

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

I tried putting the radios on the fairing, on the rear box, and clipped to my jacket. Made no difference. I'll try some resistor plugs.

Q

Jluvs2dive wrote:
For using bike power, you can put a filter on the power connection, but that's not going to help if you're having the problem even running them on batteries. Resistor plugs might help. Where did you have your radios when using them on the bike? Did you try different positions?

John

·
Premium Member
167 Posts
imported post

dont think it will be the resistor plugs, you may have to xhange the leads on the plug wires. Some (the big end ones) were built with resistors in them, an example were the ones on the yamaha venture from the 80's. the venture also had a filter inline on the elec system to the accessories. so once you try the plugs and if they dont help you may need to lookk for the resistors on the wires and just possibly change your wires out at the same time.

I run aftermarket car wires on my venture, have no problems with static, but these are the high quality silicone wires with resistor plugs so that may be something to look at also.

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

The plug caps are 5 k ohm resistor but the wires are solid core and molded into the coils.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.