Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Honda Guru
2,043 Posts
imported post

My former business partner's wife used one on her VTX and it worked great. Reception was excellent and transmission was clear. I'd say it's an easy installation and performance was above par. For the money it was an excellent investment.

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
imported post

A couple of riders I know tried this with marginal success. I don't remember the brand but suspect they got them from Radio Shack. They worked when configured with the antenna attached to the radio but when they tried to extend the range by mounting a bigger antenna on the back of the bike they had SWR issues. Despite repeated attempts the lowest SWR reading was on a high channel (39, iirc). We moved there and we can communicate but the range seemed less than the larger/OEM unit. Audio quality is good and while I don't know the actual power output but in some situations we had a hard time hearing them.

There's no denying that there is a good bang for the buck.

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
imported post

I have read a few posts about them and from what I have heard they get rave reviews. I am thinking about buying a set of the radios to have them if I ever have the spare cash.

Kit and some others should be along soon with a little more info.

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

i fitted a midlland got it on ebay $25 to a yamaha v star with a larger aerial no prob when i got my wing no cb fitted i hot wired it through the headset worked a treat until i could get my hands on a honda model and used the cb aerial from cyclemax range was about 3 miles

·
Premium Member
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

agnogel wrote:
i fitted a midlland got it on ebay $25 to a yamaha v star with a larger aerial no prob when i got my wing no cb fitted i hot wired it through the headset worked a treat until i could get my hands on a honda model and used the cb aerial from cyclemax range was about 3 miles
How did you wire it thru your headset?

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts
imported post

82winginvegas wrote:
Has anybody used one of these Midland CB's that J&M has on their bikes? Any reviews?
I have one of that model of CB that I used on my 1200, but not with the J&M stuff. I was using a Motocomm RiderLink intercom system. The only problem I had was it wouldn't work with bike power. I got a terrible squeel when using the auto adapter, and it wasn't just on the bike. Did the same thing in the car. Might have just been my radio. It worked great with batteries though.

John

·
Premium Member
1,224 Posts
imported post

John you also have another handheld cb that I used for a day in Calhoun, it had a ear phone adapter that I plug my ear buds in to here and when I wanted to talk I just picked up the unit and talked. Not the safest way to use it but it did work.

Keith

·
12,840 Posts
imported post

keithg64 wrote:
John you also have another handheld cb that I used for a day in Calhoun, it had a ear phone adapter that I plug my ear buds in to here and when I wanted to talk I just picked up the unit and talked. Not the safest way to use it but it did work.

Keith
Well you're half right my friend. I do have another handheld CB, actually two others, but the one you used is the same as we're talking about here, the 75-822. :) The bottom half comes off. There are 3 configurations. One that holds regular AA batteries. A second that holds rechargable batteries, and the third bottom is the Auto adapter. Here's a picture of the one you used, in the configuration you used it, with the standard AA battery holder attached.

John

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

I used one a valk for a year , here is a link to air rider ,if you read through the info they not only do the hand held for the bike ,but they also sell a PTT switch and a adapter for a goldwing headset ,It worked a treat ,I strapped it to the handle bars and the PTT button was on a velcro strap and not expensive for the whole thing .here is the link .. http://www.airrider.com/store/product.php?id=477

Ciaran

·
12,840 Posts
imported post

keithg64 wrote:
OH, ok, thanks John I didn't know that, I was looking for a cb like the one I used but wasn't exactly sure what it was.

Thanks

Keith
NP bud. :) Hope all is well with you and the family.

John

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.