Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I changed the 194 bulbs in my position lights to 13 SMD LED. I have been looking for a while found the following and they were only $6.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130396050613&ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:CA:1123

They are not brighter than the incandescent but are a purer white.

Incandescent is 1" long and LED is 1 5/8 " long, fits well

I foiled the top and bottom of the position light lens. Just to reflect more light.

After foiling.

Incandescent

LED

Incandescent on right.

LED on left.

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
imported post

Good find Hodgy, look forward to pics..!!
Peter.

·
Premium Member
1,834 Posts
imported post

Good catch Hodgy. $5.89 for 2 bulbs...and free shipping. I have mine ordered now.

P.S. Click on "See other items" for other items of interest from this vendor on eBay.
Tom Bishop

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
imported post

Hi Hodgy, have ordered some of the ones you referred to above myself, along with some LED's with a BA9s socket, suitable for my 1200 "position" lights, the trader certainly has a lot of choice re. LED stuff, thanks again..!!:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
imported post

Thanks. I've been looking for a good place to find LED bulbs for my wing.

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
imported post

and if all else fails and ya want them now, try a chrome shop for tractor trailers, they have almost all the leds ya could want

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Hodgy wrote:

I changed the 194 bulbs in my position lights to 13 SMD LED. I have been looking for a while found the following and they were only $6.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130396050613&ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:CA:1123

They are not brighter than the incandescent but are a purer white.

Incandescent is 1" long and LED is 1 5/8 " long, fits well

I foiled the top and bottom of the position light lens. Just to reflect more light.

After foiling.

Incandescent

LED

Incandescent on right.

LED on left.

Warm white here...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/130603084550?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

·
Premium Member
555 Posts
imported post

Hodgy,

I was looking for a different bulb (and you find it)but I have one question. You said that you foiled the lens.

Was it the outside of the lens or did you take it apart and do it on the inside ?

Hickey

·
Premium Member
3,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Outside the lens, I did not think it was worth the bother to take them apart.

It did block some of the light escaping out the top and bottom. If I did it again I would use the silver (aluminum) duct tape.

·
Premium Member
555 Posts
imported post

Thanks Hodge, :bow:

I order the bulbs. Now I just have to wait for themand do the lens.

Hickey

·
On a Wing & a KLR
287 Posts
Be careful

I did this replacement and am now regretting it. The bulbs melted the reflector in front of them. Actually the bulb melted the reflector to a point that it became one with it. Can't get the bulb out of the reflector and I'm afraid I'll break it. Only noticed it because one of the LED's quit working. So much for long life. Looks like I'll be clipping the wires on the bulbs and having no position lights unless I can figure a way to remove the melted bulbs.

·
Premium Member
1,348 Posts
Nice write-up...thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
Some modifications just don't work too well and it takes time to find out.

I personally like the "amber" colored 194's in my position lights.

Be careful

I did this replacement and am now regretting it. The bulbs melted the reflector in front of them. Actually the bulb melted the reflector to a point that it became one with it. Can't get the bulb out of the reflector and I'm afraid I'll break it. Only noticed it because one of the LED's quit working. So much for long life. Looks like I'll be clipping the wires on the bulbs and having no position lights unless I can figure a way to remove the melted bulbs.

·
Answer Seeker & Kibitzer
632 Posts
I personally like the "amber" colored 194's in my position lights.
I too did the Amber 194's for position lights on my 'Wing... I also changed my running lights in the lower fairing to amber ...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.