Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 86 Interstate is really stripped. I'd like to at least add a stereo to the dash and a power outlet. The power outlet plug looks like it's on the right side of the dash. I have a stock Honda car power outlet I'm planning on using there from an Accord or Civic (can't remember) but it should work fine. I'm sure I can find a way to tap into the bike for that. I'd like to know what others have done.
Can you just buy a car audio deck and install it and it will work? Marine version to be waterproof? The bike wasn't prewired so I'm going to have to figure out the wiring.
Anything else worth adding that people have done?
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
If you use a car stereo you'll pretty much be running new wires anyway. You can do it like Dennis' (which I've always liked by the way), or you can get the "install kit" from Sierra Electronics. I used the second option and have never really liked it, but I am, as I type this, working on prettying it up a little.

EDIT: I should also mention that even though mine is an LTD, I know the aspencades are the same in that area and I'm almost possitive the Interstates are too...

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
i put a 300w booster in there where a radio would go and added speakers where there werent any and use my mp3 or small sony handheld in the left pocket.I didnt want a antenna and all the other stuff. JB

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Still looking for a solution here. Most brick and mortar stores suck and the radios are double din or CD player combos. I see stuff online for marine application that looks good but its not available in stores. Really want a radio for my commute

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
Hi, I fitted a Sony car head unit to my '84, looks ok and am happy with it. When I got my bike it had the original radio and cradle (presumably from an Aspy) which didn't work, so adapted the cradle (easy enough to do) to fit a "typical" car radio. If I was to do it over again, I would probably buy a "mechless" (as in no CD player) unit with aux and USB in/out, it would fit and probably look a lot better. Also, fitting speakers in the back makes a good difference. (I put mine in the lid of the panniers because I have passenger armrests where speakers on the Aspy would normally be.)
Cheers,
Peter.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.