Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

having a few problems with my 87 gl1200 aspencade, its not running as it has been sat for 3 yr. i have a hanes manual but am a complete amateur with it! tracing a wire to the ignition control unit and a blue and yellow wire seems to be cut. were not getting any fuel to the carbs and also the rear two cylinders are not sparking. i have replacement coils so if the coil is dead thats ok. any help much appreciated!

Ali

·
Administrator
26,177 Posts
imported post

Do you mean a blue and a yellow wire or a blue/yellow wire?
The blue/yellow goes to the 3-4 coil so there may be the problem with the spark.

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

Davogd430 wrote:
Do you mean a blue and a yellow wire or a blue/yellow wire?
The blue/yellow goes to the 3-4 coil so there may be the problem with the spark.

bule wire with yellow strip .

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you!!! u guys i had just figured it out and botched a wire to connect it back together and now i have all 4 cylinders sparking!! what a sense of relief! just the other problem with the fuel pump an she should be running! does the fuel pump come on when the ignition is turned?

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

OOps sorry I shoudl read everything first..:doh::doh:

·
Administrator
26,177 Posts
imported post

He has a 1200 RB, it has an electric pump. The pump runs off a relay that is activated by the ignition signal for the 3-4 coil. Not sure but it might run for just a second when you turn the ignition on.

·
Premium Member
2,525 Posts
imported post

In your manual there should be a procedure to do a flow test on the fuel pump. I can't remember exactly how or where it is in the book, but I know it's in there. As for the fuel pump running, on my 1200 I could never hear the pump running but if you put your hand on it you can feel the clicking that it makes when running. The pump is internally pressure regulated and doesn't run continuously. It runs " on demand" but should run for a short period when the bike is first started as pressure should be low. You may also want to check the wires going to the pump to be sure you have power. There could be an electrical problem causing it not to run.

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
imported post

The pump unly runs when you are cranking the starter or when the engine is running. It does not run just with the ignition on- which fooled me when I broke down with an unrelated fault at the roadside, I thought the pump was dead (assumed it would pump with ignition on). It does run off a coil o/p- controlled by the ignition unit I believe. I think it gets more voltage with more revs to avoid overloading the needle valves in the carbs or omething. Steve W

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

many thanks guys! i now have the bike running (rough but running!) the severed wire from the ignition control unit was to blame, now fixed the 3/4 coil is sparking the plugs and the fuel is pumping! not sure that all cylinders are igniting yet as the right side gets hot whereas the left remains cold so i think i need to tinker! it was funny because i never thought it would be anything to do with the wire! was relieved i could fix it cos i know how much a replacement ignition control unit costs!!

Ali

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.