Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My fuel pump is clicking loudly, as many have reported. I saw a video on youtube where a guy took the cover off and cleaned the contacts. Has anyone tried this? I did not post the video link because of his language towards the end.

·
Administrator
27,928 Posts
Loud clicking usually indicates it is starving for enough fuel.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bike accelerates fine. Is the starvation from the tank or an internal pump issue?

·
Administrator
27,928 Posts
Could be the filter partially plugged or the lines or pickup tube or it could be sucking in air somewhere before the pump.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, I'll check the filter and lines. The guy I bought from had it serviced, may not have had that done.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fuel filter looks like its been there for awhile. Also looks like it could be a pain to replace. Looks like a clamp with small screws at angles that make them hard to get to. A parts diagram I looked at makes me think the collar/clamp that goes around filter slides off of a clip? Any help would be appreciated before I dive in. Nothing like experience to make a job go easier!

·
Administrator
27,928 Posts
Take the lines loose at the petcock and the pump and I think the filter clamp is screwed to the lip of the tank, take the whole thing out and the clamps are easy to get to.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Take the lines loose at the petcock and the pump and I think the filter clamp is screwed to the lip of the tank, take the whole thing out and the clamps are easy to get to.
Thanks Dave. I have been searching in regards to the best filter to get. What is your preference. (And anybody else's opinion of course) I have seen Randakk and Emgo filters mentioned in my search so far. Does Honda still stock filters for 1200's?

·
Administrator
27,928 Posts
I think you can get OEM or go to a parts store and find a close match. Emgo has been known to come apart on the inside.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Old fuel filter had been there for awhile, definitely not new. Replaced with one from local Honda dealer ($24.02 with tax). Line from shutoff valve to filter and line from filter to pump are unrestricted. Opened shutoff valve with no line connected and drained into a can, excellent flow. Started bike and clicking seems to be quieter, but is still there. Have not ridden it yet, just let idle. I will try to ride this evening and see if there is any change.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Rode bike for about 5-6 miles. Pump is still clicking loud enough to hear it while riding 40mph. Anything else I should check before replacing pump? I looked back at post from Dave regarding air entering. All of the hose connections were difficult to remove, required twisting and tugging quite a bit, and all clamps were tight. Only place to pull are would have been old filter case cracked, but it is good.

Has anyone has ever cleaned the contacts on a pump that was clicking?

·
Administrator
27,928 Posts
If the pump is working the contacts are good. I heard 1 1200 pump that was making a lot of noise but as far as I know it is still working.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am going to work on finding a fuel pump. The Interstate I used to have did not make that noise, it was quiet. I do not want to get too far from the house with the pump making that noise.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Honda does still sell OEM pumps.. at least they did last year when I bought mine.

Not cheap, but they work. And keep your old one as a backup.

·
Registered
54 Posts
on my 85 1200 the pump has been clicking for 1 and half years and 30,000 miles, havent had any issues other then just clicking, still gets 44mpg and more power then my 2nd 85

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
on my 85 1200 the pump has been clicking for 1 and half years and 30,000 miles, havent had any issues other then just clicking, still gets 44mpg and more power then my 2nd 85
Well that makes me feel much better. I hate the thought of being miles away and the fuel pump lay down on me. May look into getting one of the Prelude pumps for a back-up. I will have to dwell on this one! Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Blueridgerunner, have you installed one? I have seen photos of one installed.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,331 Posts
If the fuel pump dies and you are far from home, you can keep going as long as you keep the fuel level in the tank high enough to gravity feed.
That would mean gassing up every 50~75 miles, but you could get home.
I managed to get an '87 pump (pretty rare) on eBay for under 100 bucks. It was very clean and pretty. That's rare for eBay too.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
If the fuel pump dies and you are far from home, you can keep going as long as you keep the fuel level in the tank high enough to gravity feed.
Hum, in another thread it was stated that the fuel pump according to Honda would prevent gravity feed so the petcock need not be turned off other than for long term storage.

One has to wonder what the true poop is and no I'm not going to pull the outlet line off my pump to test.:lash:

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.