Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Better get my sweet Honda ST1300 continent crosser down to CENEX this morning for a tankful of non-corn-alcohol gas....just in case this snow is here for the winter and I have to put it up... took a very long and satisfying ride on the thing yesterday without topping it off for just this moment..... actually not snowing yet but it feels and smells and looks like it! But it's been a great summer: two big bucket list motorcycle items down -- Stelvio Pass and the Dolomites! Two unforgettable rides with my unforgettable buddy on that back! Thank you, Red Goudger -- you're the stars in my sky!

Just got back...... nice 50 miler in the snow, which tapered off and quit in front of broken clouds..... I like brushing the flakes off my visor for some reason, mainly because most riders don't ride in those conditions....their loss, not mine.

I think I'm secretly glad that I don't live in a place where I could ride year round...afraid I might burn myself out. I like keeping the motorcycling fresh and clean and inviting, and that 60 day enforced off-the-bike holiday every winter does that..... Forgive me, Lord, but I do love riding so.

(The Cabot Trail, Cape Breton)

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
That ST sure likes the twisties don't they, I sold mine here while back and went back to the 1500 wing, kind of funny went from the gl1800 to a st 1300 and from the St to a 1500. Like all 3 and all 3 great bikes to own, I just got to over confident on the st and knew I was over riding my skills is the biggest reason I sold it. Solaro

·
Premium Member
1,547 Posts
Those of us who live where rain turns to white put our machines away for the winter but in our minds and memories we are always riding.

·
Premium Member
8,921 Posts
If you took any video of some rides you took in the summer, set up a big screen in the garage and watch the video while sitting on your bike and pretend you are riding it again.... LOL :applause: :)

·
Premium Member
67,686 Posts
Mel
Something interesting you said," smell the snow ".. Have you ever tried to explain that rain or snow smell to a cager ??
You can't..................

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
Doesn't really snow where I live, I definetly know what rain smells like.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
Those of us who live where rain turns to white put our machines away for the winter but in our minds and memories we are always riding.

Winter, for those of us that must bed down our steeds for a couple of months (or more) at a time, are made for planning new routes to ride the following year.

Still riding here, Mel. Rode through some Snow Streamers last Sunday for a while and you're right ... one does get some perverse satisfaction while doing that. :wink:

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,841 Posts
No snow here, yet, but it was 27 degrees F when I left my house for work this morning. Most everything was white with frost but the streets were dry and I didn't find any ice fortunately. Man do I love my Gerbings! :action:

John

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
I have a 1,200 mile ride coming up next weekend. I am hoping for good weather and no snow although I have ridden in the snow plenty of times when I lived in West Virginia and some here in Tennessee. I too like the smell that comes with the possibility of snow!

Dubs

·
Just one of the guys
4,833 Posts
I admit I am a wimp when it comes to riding in the cold, I have not ridden to work in weeks as it is cold in the mornings and very often rain as well and I don't like to start my day out in weather like that. My ride to work is 28 miles with about half on 55 MPH 2 lanes and half on 65 MPH 4 lane. If it is cool out it starts to get to me before I get that far at those speeds.

Right now it looks like mid to upper 60's on Sunday so are looking at a ride that day, likely the last for the season for us.

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Simple cold doesn't really bother me too much. I have a Widder Vest, which I put under an older climber's down jacket, which I then cover with an oversize riding jacket. I have some snowmobile gloves, and I wear pile pants with Fieldsheer overpants.... I wear climbing boots with wool socks, and if I think rain threatens, I sometimes wear plastic bags over the socks. It's not cold, but compact snow and ice on the roads that put my bikes to sleep!

·
Premium Member
8,242 Posts
Same here, simple cold is just that, but when Wind and Rain start throwing gang signs @ Rain, I end it just about there.
Still great weather here, and still riding although less riding for sure.
It is a'comin' though.

·
Premium Member
67,686 Posts
It's also like a thunder storm, you can smell it coming

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
18 degrees and 1-2 inches of snow here this morning so think I'm done riding for the season. Crap! Summer's not long enough!
Bill

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
The Florida "winter" is here now supposedly. Day before yesterday I rode a 2 hour trip in 51 degrees, and have to admit I loved it.... Going to 80 this week end....

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
Strange as it might seem the best riding I had in the Arctic village of Kotzebue, AK was during winter. Good thing too since that was about seven months per year. Once it got good and cold riding on the wind driven snow was easy, the stuff was wind packed and hard, the bike hardly left tire marks on the stuff. The sea ice was best not slippery like lake or river ice. You did have to watch out for overflow though. I had a Yamaha 125 trail bike which was just the thing for those conditions. The two stroke was easier to start when it was cold too since there wasn't any stiff oil in the crankcase. The main difference between then and now is a about fifty years. Some how cold got colder over the years even if the thermometer readings didn't. I still ride in cold weather as long as there's no snow or ice on the roads. Long live Gerbings!

·
Administrator
27,900 Posts
Rode in a pretty heavy snow once in New Mexico. It was melting when it hit the pavement but it built up pretty good on the windshield, it was great!!!!

·
Premium Member
3,073 Posts

Same feeling here Mel. I put my 1500 down last week. We had snow and cold weather about two weeks earlier than usual this year. Oh well !

Like some of you said I can dream of all the rides I had this year and look forward to next spring. Just means I will have more time to interact with you on this site.

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
Totally agree, I love the smell of autumn and snow, and going the same places the cagers go, they have no idea what they are missing.

Mel
Something interesting you said," smell the snow ".. Have you ever tried to explain that rain or snow smell to a cager ??
You can't..................

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.