Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let see what your GL1200 looks like.

Feel free to tell everyone what you have done to it since you bought it.

Year and mileage so we can see how well these bike hold up.

·
Premium Member
3,516 Posts
As some know, I sold my vintage red '85 GL1200A June this year, really near give away in hindsight. Bought it in August 1995 sight unseen from a fellow (agent) whom I only talked to on the phone, whom was known by my supervisor from their rooky days, but whom lived on opposite end of state down below Va. Beach near Dismal Swamp. It was my entry into "Gold Wing-dom". Drove my supervisor's Suburban pulling my trailer to go get it, our wives with us, great trip, many thumbs up on the way home from other "riders" seeing the untagged strapped GL1200A on the trailer with a smiling driver pulling it. My trailer was made from a Ford pickup, but I had built in a tilt set up. 26,xxx miles on bike then. Bike had been owned previous to him by another agent in Richmond.

In the next few years I removed the floorboards & H&T shifter, went back OEM. Swapped over to Progressive 416s in rear, new Progressive fork springs, air line kit, Corbin saddle, SunPro 12VDC meter added, built a CB integrator that let me incorporate over the counter CB into intercom like OEM did, added some chrome, swap in new stator in '98, added old school Unity 5" fog lights, built a hitch I never used, perked up the starter with a ground mod, added passenger arm rests, trunk set back bracket incorporating provisions for cooler carrier supports, provisions for carrier rack with it's own tail lights, additional support behind saddle bags from rear FB mounts up to behind seat, WS vent, Baker wings, made some lights for saddle bag sides, reinforced trunk for carrying our little dog and added a light inside for if needed, added XM docking, Over the years, maybe three windshields. Other Stuff. I sold it due to my health in June 2019 after I had added just over 50,xxx miles to the odometers (I had to put another in after a gear stripped, but miles were very close) so it had a bit over 80,xxx then, but I didn't get to ride it in '17 or '18 at all, but I kept fresh gas in it. Two up usually, easy 40-45 MPG, one up not in a hurry, 50 MPG or better.

Trips included NC (western & outer banks), SC, Tenn, WVa, Ohio, Ky, Pa, Md, De, and all over Va. Never left me to walk. Never left home but that I knew it'd bring me back. Got us involved in chapter too with those many new friends. Good times. I miss it, but it was time to let go.

Last pic looks over loaded, was us two and or 11 pound then Yorkie-Pom Abby. Lower box was just extra clothing for cool mountain evening, a few pin pulls at wing nuts and unplug a wire connector and it all went in the room.

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
No pictures, but I still have a 1984 Aspencade that I bought new in April that year, which also was in a crate.

It has 64,000 miles and is the black cherry, almost black in color. Completely stock except for Commander II tires, (came with Dunlop RWL Qualifiers) factory CB and Intercom. Pulls duty with a couple of other bikes, one being
a 2010 Goldwing.

I still enjoy riding it as much now as then.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Mine is... On the mend. I hope one day she can look as nice as yours, julimike54 !
Long story short: New rider, bought it from a retired firefighter and pastor, has 80k and was stored for 18 months due to a clutch problem. It's an '86 Aspencade. I'm trying to restore her for an 8,000 mile around-the-country ride in the spring of 2021. Currently i've done Belts, carbs, battery, fuel line,and a few other things... Including fixing the issue that grounded her. Working on full brake caliper rebuilds and new HEL stainless lines, as well as aftermarket Facet Cube fuel pump. Very close to being able to get her back on the road!

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
This is the 1200 that I bought new in April, 1984 and thanks to my wife, I still have it. I was going to sell it after we got married and she convinced me to keep it. (I thought a married guy with children should not have a motorcycle.)

She rode with me for 30 years on this Aspencade and the 2010 GW.

Sadly, she passed away 3 years ago from cancer. So many memories.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I too miss my 1200A i name Angela. Mods included Poor Boy alternator, JM cb radio, MC floor boards. Complete repaint to original colors due repair from high side get off. I sold her and upgraded to ‘05 1800. BTW I still have some body parts (but no trunk) left that I’ll sell cheap$. PM if interested.
0AED4B93-BF5F-45C8-93FF-7AD360257817.jpeg BA21E31D-A9A1-494B-ABAF-81A6ADA90A59.jpeg CC5ADD77-B61B-4D2A-86B1-3787059658F7.jpeg 0AED4B93-BF5F-45C8-93FF-7AD360257817.jpeg

·
Average Goldwing Rider
1,043 Posts
Remember when the 450 was the Big Honda ? Wish I still had one :( It looks so small next your 1200
Yes, The CB750 came out when I was a junior in high school. I saw my first 750 when cruising Hinshaw Honda to get parts for my 1960 C100 (know what that is?). I thought you would need to be a harry chested beast to be able to ride one of those. The CB450 DOHC became my HS dream bike. By the time I got enough money to buy one the DOHC had become the CB500T. That bike didn't appeal to me so I bought a new CB360T in 1975. Fast forward through a BSA 650, a couple of CB750s, a GL1000 and GL1100 and my HS dream cam true. The 450 is a great mid sized bike. It's 360 degree crank makes is smooth (for a twin) and it is very powerful. In its day the British outlawed it from racing because it was too much like a race bike. Parts are easy ti find for the old 450 and they are fairly easy to work on. There are a few great CB450 DHOC restorations going on over on HondaTwins.net

1 - 20 of 21 Posts