Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Received a letter today from Farmers Insurance out of California. Basically stating that I need to call them regarding a claim against me for an accident involving "my" motorcycle. Say what? Been 5 years since I was there. The claims adjuster I spoke to says he has a picture of the bike with my tag on it. He read off the number and it is the exact number of the tag that was on my 2004 Rune. Which I sold in June and I removed the tag. Still have it. He then asked me if the Rune was blue. No it is red. He didn't know bikes and couldn't decide if the blue bike was a Rune. The only thing I can think of that happened was when I advertised it for sale on Craigs List I posted pics front and back someone took the tag and made another somehow. Live and learn. By the way The Rune is on its way to Poland.

·
Administrator
57,421 Posts
oh yeah, mostly a good idea to wipe the tag# if you are showing your bike for sale.

if you are just posting it on our forums, and going to keep it, no problem....

Oklahoma just changed the law this year, the tag goes with the Vehicle when sold, you must use a Bill of Sale and report the sale to DMV immediately.

the thought is, if the tag don't match the VIN, then the driver gets cited.

·
Administrator
24,356 Posts
Just sounds like a scammer searching for stupid.
Yep, the latest "how to scare some money out of some moron" scheme. Probably pretty easy to get them to hang up on you by asking a legit question like requesting a copy of the police report.

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
When I first read this I also thought telephone scam, then I saw it was a letter from Farmers.

It could be a mistake in the information about the tag number or state of issue. It also could have been a fake tag but in that case, anyone can make a false plate without actually seeing a photo on the web. Paint one from another state, any number.

If the damage is small, exchange info and no police report. Subsequently the other party's insurance reaches out and finds the info is false. They run the registration info and come up with the holder of that plate. Even if there is a report, did the officer actually run the info and verify the bike's VIN against the documentation?

You probably will need to get copies of everything Farmers has and send a formal affidavit with all the formation in your post (wasn't me, wasn't my bike, I was not in CA that day, etc..). Include your registration and perhaps a photo of your bike with that tag on it. I would forward a copy of same to my own insurance company and to the Police Department where this occurred (although without an incident number, they will likely do nothing).

·
Premium Member
3,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not a scam. It was a formal letter from the Farmers agent in California. I called them. I am not concerned at all as I have proof of sale from a month pryor to the date of accident. Also he stated that the bike involved was blue not red. Also this was an Okla. tag with the number from the Rune tag. That is how they located me.
Anyway all I wanted to do is warn others not to post pics of their plates.

·
Premium Member
3,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
227 Posts
Daughter just received a similar letter from Progressive in NY. Supposedly her car was in an accident before she owned it?!

I told her to call them back, politely tell them she didn't own the car at that time, and refer any future contact to a lawyer.

·
Premium Member
1,438 Posts
I see vehicles for sale all the time on the internet with the plate covered up. I always wondered why, If someone wants to copy a plate there are millions on the road everyday they can copy.

·
Premium Member
3,351 Posts
CrystalPistol said:
So, what is Farmers to you and how would anyone know?
I don't even know what that means.
Like "How would anyone know how you are related to that tag # or Farmers Ins Co.? Are California's records so "loosely" kept that they are open to all? If so, I am sorry, and I wonder why state voters accept such shoddy govt.

Here, in Va., DMV records, tags, etc are not open to any and all. Only LEO and then, only for criminal justice purposes. Every inquiry for access to state or NCIC records is logged and subject to audit. If out of bounds …. it's a problem for the officer initiating the request and his department. Officer can be prosecuted, department can loose terminal and access to files. It happens like if an officer checks a tag for a friend to find the name of a "hot chick" or the owner of "nice car" seen on highway and maybe a complaint is made.

Speaking of tag numbers being seen / shown ….
…. they are viewable to everyone whom sees the vehicle on the roadway.

·
Premium Member
3,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Like "How would anyone know how you are related to that tag # or Farmers Ins Co.? Are California's records so "loosely" kept that they are open to all? If so, I am sorry, and I wonder why state voters accept such shoddy govt.

Here, in Va., DMV records, tags, etc are not open to any and all. Only LEO and then, only for criminal justice purposes. Every inquiry for access to state or NCIC records is logged and subject to audit. If out of bounds …. it's a problem for the officer initiating the request and his department. Officer can be prosecuted, department can loose terminal and access to files. It happens like if an officer checks a tag for a friend to find the name of a "hot chick" or the owner of "nice car" seen on highway and maybe a complaint is made.

I don't really know how it works here in Ok. but I assume that insurance companies would have access to that database.

·
Premium Member
3,351 Posts
I don't really know how it works here in Ok. but I assume that insurance companies would have access to that database.
My bad, but now I wonder why I thought you were in Ca.?:surprise:

Anyway, not so in Va. :wink2:

·
Administrator
57,421 Posts

this is a fact:
I bought a Toy Hauler down in Austin, Texas area last year, and on the way home, the paperwork disappeared. we took about 3 weeks to get back home, stopped and toured the country going home...

I tried twice to get the name/address of the previous owner, and finally the local Chief of Police was nice enough to give me that info. He had to call Texas DMV to get the info.

I then wrote a Certified, Return Receipt letter to the PO to get me a new title and Bill of Sale. It was returned "Addressee Unknown"

After that, I had to get a Court Order to start the process of having Oklahoma Tax Commission to give me a clear title to it. Strangely enough, that new title is now showing that I am the original purchaser of a 2004 model RV.

Hiring a lawyer to get it all done, was not cheap....
so word to the wise, if you buy something, put that paperwork in a SAFE PLACE.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts