Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I recently saw a bikethat the owner had powder coated the wheels black. It looked good and I saw no chips or other blemishes. Has anyone on this forum done this and if so, how durable is the powder coatingin this application?

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
imported post

From my experience powder coat is the way to go for hard wear areas it has a hard and more durable finish than paint. The way powder coat is applied allows for thicker coats. Another plus to it It doesn't have the solvent VOC's of paint (volatile organic compound) which is good for mother nature.

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts
imported post

Was at a dealership yesterday they had a set on display. They looked great. I am going to check into it. When I pull my 1500 wheels of to replace tires I think I will have it done. The best part is with road grime just rinse off and wipe dry. From what I hear stuff does not stick to it near as bad as metal.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

Powder coated rims hold up well if the person installing the tires takes care and uses a rim clamp machine with the plastic mounting parts in good order. Or like the manual No Mar Bar that is now available.

Some motorcycle rims are now being manufactured out of a carbon fiber material.

Tire irons though will chip the coating around the rim. So it is cool as long as you are careful with changing tires.

Kit

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
imported post

It all depends on the prep and type of powder. jimsjinx

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
imported post

Powder coating done properly is more robust than any paint. There are some bad powder coaters out there and I've seen jobs done and full of dust and marks. It pays to pick someone reputable to do the job.

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
imported post

I have had the wheels on my 1800 powdercoated. I love them, since, as noted above they are so much easier to clean.

I change my own tires, and I learned the hard way about scratching the powdercoat. I actually scratched my rear wheel when I was removing the old tire..........but you have to get down on the ground to find the scratch.

Just FYI, I originally had the wheels powdercoated silver. Then I had my spare rear rim done in gloss black.

I dont care for the black. I think if I had white walls or raised white letters it would look sharp. But, you cant get a tire like mine with raised white letters on both sides :(

·
Premium Member
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Thanks all, for the feedback. I'm thinking black rims on my Pearl White bike will look sporty. I'm not into the chrome much anymore, but I do want it to stand out a little.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.