Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have the opportunity to pick up an extra set for my 79, but is it worth it or should I just look for Lester rims?

·
Premium Member
2,350 Posts
imported post

I am not familar with the Lester rims but I did have the rims on my 83 chrome plated and then powder coated with clear. They look great and are easier to clean. I have one friend who polished the wheels on his Sabre and then power coated clear. He was very happy with results. I had rubber dampners in the rear wheel on my 83 but they survived the heat of curing "OK":dance:

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

finding a 16 rear lester wheel is fairly easy, but you hardly ever see any 19 front rims and they alsways sell high on ebay. Also, the 75-77 rotors have 6 bolt holes whilst the 78-79 have five.

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
imported post

hi all,i once painted a set of comstar wheels off my silver wing,i painted them a fire engine red with "hammeright" as the paint dries it tightens up and the finish was as smooth as if they were powder coated...it was an experiment that paid off (thank goodness):grinner::goofygrin::grinner:bri,uk.;)

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
imported post

Powder coating is the way to go as it won't chip like Hammerite. I had my gl1200 wheels sandblasted and pwdercoated just like when they left the factory. Then the shop powdercoated the whole lot with a clear matt finish lacker and the wheels look as good as new.

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
imported post

BRowan wrote:
Powder coating is the way to go as it won't chip like Hammerite. I had my gl1200 wheels sandblasted and pwdercoated just like when they left the factory. Then the shop powdercoated the whole lot with a clear matt finish lacker and the wheels look as good as new.
Good point about the Hammerite. It does chip easily, but gives a reasonably good finish. The problem is when it chips it leaves a bare spot on teh steel taht will rust. If you really want to use Hammerite, use etching primer first. This grips the bare metal better and if the Hammerite chips the etching primer will still protect the metsl.

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
imported post

Jason wrote:
BRowan wrote:
Good point about the Hammerite. It does chip easily, but gives a reasonably good finish. The problem is when it chips it leaves a bare spot on teh steel taht will rust. If you really want to use Hammerite, use etching primer first. This grips the bare metal better and if the Hammerite chips the etching primer will still protect the metsl.
All good information Jason, but I think you need to use the spellchecker! :p

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.