Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone recognize this particular Power Block? I've looked all over and can't find any identifying marks on it. I'm refurbing/cleaning/replacing things on this old heifer to get her ready for another 100K+ miles. This is my 4th 'Wing, but my first 1500. Whoever did some of the stuff on this bike was definitely not a professional wire bender. In particular, I'd like to know what the "Input" leads are color coded for. I can decode some of what they've done, but it'd be a lot easier if I had a schematic and description/model in particular. I've got the green negative lead and the red hot lead figured out, but the little green lead and the blue lead are just hanging dead ended with no cap or cover like they were hooked up at one time. And, what is the purpose of 3 7.5 fuses and 2 25 fuses? ANY info would be greatly appreciated. I just added a few pics to show before and after condition as I clean and redo things....

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
It is a circuit isolator not sure which brand you pretty much have to trace each wire to see where it goes this is not factory.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I realize it is not a factory component. My question is...Does anybody know what brand it is and what the 4 leads are coming out of it. I've got the green negative lead and the red hot lead figured out, but the little green lead and the blue lead are just hanging dead ended with no cap or cover like they were hooked up at one time.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
There must be some added items added,put up some more pictures and maybe it will be a hint to what it is,I’d just send that mess down the road,

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

There must be some added items added,put up some more pictures and maybe it will be a hint to what it is,I’d just send that mess down the road,
All I want to know is....What are the SMALL Green wire and The Blue/White wire for?? They were both connected to nothing when I got it and all the lights on this thing were working. I've already traced all the wires coming off the terminal strip. I just want to know if anybody recognizes this particular power block and what those two wires are for.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
My guess it was for the mud flap and trailer wiring,mudflap has the left cover missing,some trailers had to have to have extra wiring.
no idea what the brand is,never seen anything like that.
suspect the blue one might be lighter plug,maybe in left pocket

Reactions: W D Snyder

·
It aint rocket science
3,942 Posts
It looks like the large red wire is direct wired to battery, is there juice on the terminal strip with key off? With key off you wouldn't want items to be powered. They could be trigger wires for an internal relay. OR the whole thing is some type of flasher or sequencer for those added lights. You got to look to see where those wires go.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
The lights on the trunk are added so some of the wires would go there.

·
Administrator
26,569 Posts
Looks home made to me. I suspect those small wires are to activate a relay which I'm guessing is or was on the back of that board.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the suggestions, but I'm not getting the answer I'm looking for. ALL I want to know is.. 1. Does anybody recognize this Power Block? 2. If you do recognize it, what are the SMALL Green wire and the Blue/White wire for?? That's all....This is my 4th wing, I've done avionics on aircraft, wired $300,000 sound and lighting systems, ad nauseam. If you do not recognize this or have a schematic for the pack, that's not doing me any good. Appreciate all the well intentioned comments...but all I want is a simple answer..and...it's not homemade...I can tell.....and the cigarette lighter was a different set of wires....already removed....

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,198 Posts
I have never seen anything like that, similar but much smaller and more professional.
what you have is a WAG.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
with your background you should have the knowledge to trace that wire ,it does go somewhere.

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
Don't recognize it right off but you might look at Amazon, Google, or Cycle-max for power distributing blocks. I've seen some very similar. How it was wired is how the other owner decided likely as not.

I am waiting for the 6 fuse holder distribution plate I ordered, each of 6 positions has a fuse, the total is 100 amp rated, but I'll be using only one 15 amp fuse for driving lights, two 10 amp fuses for trailer tail & brake light power, and a 10 amp fuse for the lower rear trunk and left front pocket power outlets, and a 5 amp one for the power outlet in my top trunk to power my wireless modulator & XM receiver. I have already decided colors, etc … and green will be ground. I'm also installing new lighted switches for driving lights and trailer tail lights, brake light relay will activate from signal on a yellow wire from my trike's brake circuit. The switches will get their relay activating power from the trike's 5 amp accy terminal so the trailer tails and driving lights will only work if the trike is "on". I'll be using some red, some light blue, some dark blue, some orange, maybe some black wire too. All 14 ga or bigger.

Did get two old stumps removed today, used chainsaw & recip saw & Wheel-Horse power.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
with your background you should have the knowledge to trace that wire ,it does go somewhere.
My guess is the 4 wires going "IN" to it have a purpose...big red is hot and big green is neg directly connected to the battery. It's what the purpose of the two little wires are...this thing is a sealed solid block and I hate to totally destroy it to find out what is inside...may be my only option. I was just hoping somebody would recognize it and have a schematic...

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
The wire your referring to goes SOMEWHERE,I would follow it to the end,I was Electrical liaison on Apachie helocopter and it had 7 miles of wire in it but it easy to follow,if you get the block apart all you gonna find is that end,the other end is what you are looking for,you may may need to remov3 more plastic to find it.

·
Administrator
26,569 Posts
My guess is the 4 wires going "IN" to it have a purpose...big red is hot and big green is neg directly connected to the battery. It's what the purpose of the two little wires are...this thing is a sealed solid block and I hate to totally destroy it to find out what is inside...may be my only option. I was just hoping somebody would recognize it and have a schematic...
Maybe it's just too simple. The small green wire goes to ground, the blue wire goes probably to the accessory terminal on the fuse box or somewhere else to provide power to the relay built into the box. Or maybe there are 2 relays and the 2 wires are to control them separately and the relays ground is internal. it wouldn't take 5 minutes to figure out.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Maybe it's just too simple. The small green wire goes to ground, the blue wire goes probably to the accessory terminal on the fuse box or somewhere else to provide power to the relay built into the box. Or maybe there are 2 relays and the 2 wires are to control them separately and the relays ground is internal. it wouldn't take 5 minutes to figure out.
I do have a tendacy to overthink some things....after doing avionics for years...the simple stuff throws me on occasion...lolol. I'm stewing it over while I do about a dozen other things to this heifer....

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,198 Posts
I have worked as an electronics tech since 1958....
the single BEST TOOL that I had, was a light bulb with a sharp prod on it, and a long lead with a heavy Alligator Clip.

Voltmeters have their place, but they aren't worth a darn for tracing power, ............
Unless you understand Ohms Law, and Divide and Conker to see where the power gets lost from the Battery Terminal to the Load.

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
... etc ... Does anybody recognize this Power Block? 2. If you do recognize it, wh … etc … View attachment 322564
I saved that picture, blew it up, and now I know … Red is juice or power supply, it goes to battery + post. Green is ground of course. The black project box with rounded corners and black 9 screw terminal strip are for sure Radio Shack, likely the 5 yellow fuse holders too. I see no sign of a relay, but there might be one or two in there. The whole deal is "potted" using a big dose of something like J B Weld or something similar. It looks grey, that scuffed part looks like J B Weld when cut or ground away. The blue/white and green/yellow wires likely tie into the bike's brake or accessory or tail light or maybe signal light circuits, only tracing will reveal the termini.

Check the trailer plug.

I too have built items using J B Weld or cheaper Silicone to "pot" the parts in project boxes where I wanted weather resistance. Things like a button & switch on a cord to operate my KR-11sp when the factory switch box broke, the "CB integrator" I built to use a standard Cobra CB with my GL1200's Panasonic Type III AM/FM/Tape/Intercom just like factory, some other things. Once I built a digital alarm clock in a project box, potted it, worked superbly for a couple years, then battery died. Lesson learned. :D

I also see a Comp-U-Fire alternator in the one picture showing that area.

Yard looks better with those two big stumps gone.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I saved that picture, blew it up, and now I know … Red is juice or power supply, it goes to battery + post. Green is ground of course. The black project box with rounded corners and black 9 screw terminal strip are for sure Radio Shack, likely the 5 yellow fuse holders too. I see no sign of a relay, but there might be one or two in there. The whole deal is "potted" using a big dose of something like J B Weld or something similar. It looks grey, that scuffed part looks like J B Weld when cut or ground away. The blue/white and green/yellow wires likely tie into the bike's brake or accessory or tail light or maybe signal light circuits, only tracing will reveal the termini.

Check the trailer plug.

I too have built items using J B Weld or cheaper Silicone to "pot" the parts in project boxes where I wanted weather resistance. Things like a button & switch on a cord to operate my KR-11sp when the factory switch box broke, the "CB integrator" I built to use a standard Cobra CB with my GL1200's Panasonic Type III AM/FM/Tape/Intercom just like factory, some other things. Once I built a digital alarm clock in a project box, potted it, worked superbly for a couple years, then battery died. Lesson learned. :D

I also see a Comp-U-Fire alternator in the one picture showing that area.

Yard looks better with those two big stumps gone.
Thanks Bud, I appreciate it.......I've never seen anything like it....and I've seen a lot....

1 - 20 of 31 Posts