Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I need to put an accessory socket in the trunkof my 2008 GoldWing.

I am trying to put a power inverter in the trunk (so I can recharge my laptop.) The inverter has an inrush of 10 Amps so the accessory socket in the faring won’t handle it.

I know there is way to get cables into the trunk for the CD or the CB so how do I get through the trunk?

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

You'll have to remove your seat and see where those other wires enter the trunk. You may have to drill a new hole for your new wiring. No biggy, just insert a rubber grommet before running wire(s) through to eliminate chaffing and possible shorting.

Dusty

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
imported post

I did it. Rather easy to do. Be sure to use a fuse and heavy enough wire. 10 amps seems like a lot. That may be the input amps when it is producing maximum output. Just be careful nothing gets hot back there!

John

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

standard fusable link wire is 16 guage. I think I would go with 14 or 12 guage wire. Nice fat stuff that can let the currant flow without the heat build up. Come up through the bottom of the bag. The suggestion to use a grommit is very important to protect the wiring.

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
imported post

I put a power plug in my 2008's trunk. I drilled the hole in the back of the trunk going into the passenger storage under the speaker. Pushed the plug into the hole so its flush in the trunk. Ran the wiresfrom the acc. hookup in the fuse panel, under the seat, to the passenger storage. There is a small drainage hole in the storage pocket big enough to thread the wires thru.

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
imported post

Instead of running an inverter, why not get a 12 volt power adapter for your laptop? I have one for my Dell Latitude.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

Do not computers have a gadget that can allow you to hook up 12 volt DC power? Some type of converter? If so there is a power plug in the upper space between the trunk lid and the liner originally intended for the ladies make up mirror, that you can use for 12 volt power. (this plug is hot all the time)

I would caution against a cigarette plug type lighter for the amp draw an inverter will pull. The socket will get hot enough to melt plastic, they are not made for high amp draw and will build up lots of heat. Just bouncing around they get a bit loose and that causes the thing to get hot, arc and so on. They are not made for high amp draw for any period of time.

If you do wish to use an inverter, you should hard wire it, and maybe use a couple of those inline wire connectors that make a solid connection.

Kit

·
Premium Member
1,847 Posts
imported post

not sure if you guys have Maplins over there but they do a 12V to multi voltage adapter suitable for the majority of laptops, it still a high current draw but is fitted with a cigarette lighter adapter, however agree with Kit, these were not really designed for plug and do come loose. Do not fit to accesory output as this is only 5amps rated. Again the best way is to go with a realy, the power is fed direct from the battery and the relay is switched so that it isd only on when the igniton is on. You mention where the wiring goes for CD player, if this is not fitted there is no hole, you have to drill a hole for this. Remember if its fed freom the battery its need a suitable fuse to protect it

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
imported post

That's what I was thinking, most all laptop/notebook computers run off 12volt, so a direct connect with maybe a conditioner would be all you need. Rememeber devices are self limiting as far as current and I don't know of any laptop/notebook that requires 10AMPS! I checked everyone of mine and the top one is 5AMP and that's for a dock system with external devices.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

I have a small inverter I got from Walmart, 250 watter, that I power my laptop with in the truck off the cig lighter or the acc plug. It came with screw on leads for either a cig plug or alligator clips to connect straight to a battery. I use it on the bike with no problem.

Now the reason I went with this instead of a 12vdc adapter for my Toshiba is because the adapter from Toshiba is so much higher, like around 90 bucks versus the 30 bucks for the inverter. It also has a 12vdc plug on it for hooking up the charger for my GPS or cell phone while still powering the laptop.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.