Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have just chrome plated the wheels on my 1983 Gl1100 and taken to the power coaters for a coat of clear. It would be no problem on the front wheel but the rear wheel has final drive dampners made from rubber. I did not know for sure if the rubber would withstand the 275 degree heat from the curing process so I did not leave the rear for coating. I went by my local Honda dealer and these dampners are not even shown in the catalog and they did not know where they could be obtained. I am not willing to screw up a $300.00 chrome plating and have a wheel I can not even use. Does anyone out these know where these dampners are available? Has any one powercoated a rear tire and had the dampners survive or destroyed. I would think they would not be damaged but just don't know.Does any one have a scrap 83 rear wheel that I could use at powercoaters to find out what would happen at 275 degrees?:p Dean

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

stretrod48 wrote:
I have just chrome plated the wheels on my 1983 Gl1100 and taken to the power coaters for a coat of clear. It would be no problem on the front wheel but the rear wheel has final drive dampners made from rubber. I did not know for sure if the rubber would withstand the 275 degree heat from the curing process so I did not leave the rear for coating. I went by my local Honda dealer and these dampners are not even shown in the catalog and they did not know where they could be obtained. I am not willing to screw up a $300.00 chrome plating and have a wheel I can not even use. Does anyone out these know where these dampners are available? Has any one powercoated a rear tire and had the dampners survive or destroyed. I would think they would not be damaged but just don't know.Does any one have a scrap 83 rear wheel that I could use at powercoaters to find out what would happen at 275 degrees?:p Dean
stretrod48, 275°F would be marginal for those dampener rubber's survival (it could easily change the durometer of the rubber). That 275° seems awful low on baking temp though, most bake the powder coat more up in the high 300°F to 400°F range. That would surely destroy those dampeners.

As far as I know those rubber dampeners are not available anyplace that I know of.

Twisty

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
imported post

Dean

It's not a problem had my 1500 wheels powder coated gold then clear coat with out any problems.

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

I looked for the dampers last fall as I thought it would be a good thing to replace them. Bad news. You have to buy the whole wheel to get them. Booooooooooo.

Luckily, I didn't end up needing them.

Hobie.

·
Premium Member
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Did you have the dampners in the rear wheel when power coated?

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
imported post

Yes the dampers were in place.Just tell them not to fill them with clear coat and they will mask them up.

·
Premium Member
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Thanks for all the information--I don't know where I could have got this info so quick.:D

·
Premium Member
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

I also have a friend that polished his alumunum wheels on his Honda Sabre to a very high shine and then power coated clear. They should never have to be polished again. This might be a good idea for some folks.:D

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
imported post

Just had the wheels on my 1800 powder coated - and the guy that does has just started doing black chrome coating. Have to admit it looks really nice.

rgds

Phil

·
Premium Member
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Phil, Were your dampners in place when power coated? :D

·
Premium Member
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Twisty, You were right about the 275 degree temp. I have found out it is more like 325 degrees.:gunhead:

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

Phil, any chance you could get me some contact info on that fellow that does the black chrome? I have several pieces on my Wing that I'd like to have black chromed, but, I would like more info on the process before I proceed with it.

Vic

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
imported post

Hi Goldwinger - the guys web site is www.aerocoat.net - only a small setup but the stuff he produves is of real quality

rgds

Phil

·
Premium Member
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

:D I just got back from picking up my wheels from H.M. Elliott Inc. who did the clear powder coating on my wheels and am delighted to say that the rubber dampners in the rear wheel survived the 325 degree heat without any problem. As with any powder coating I have seen, there is a little orange peel if you get up close but other than that, you can't tell the chrome has been clear powder coated. I would not have chrome plated these wheels without the powder coating because of the many hard to clean areas on the 83 wheels. Thanks for the feedback that helped me make this decision. :clapper::clapper::clapper:

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
imported post

WE NEED PHOTOS!!! I would love to see those lovely wheels.

Dadoo

·
Premium Member
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

I will send photo's just as soon as we can figure out how to do it.We have a digitalcamera and have put pictures on Ebay but will need help from someone with more computer knowledge that I have to get on Forum... :action:

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
imported post

Dean, to keep it simple why not show us the link to the pictures on EBay? The one of us can put a link to them for you or you can do it yourself by clicking the INSERT IMAGE button on the text editor. That way you don't need to upload them or resize them just linking to the images on EBay will probably be better.

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

What happens if you ever need to remove the powder coating? I've got some aluminum wheels on my Jeep Cherokee with clear powder and the coating needs replacing. Tried hot tanking the wheels and it didn't even soften the powder coating.

Vic

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

glennuk wrote:
Dean

It's not a problem had my 1500 wheels powder coated gold then clear coat with out any problems.
There's a big difference with the 1500 rear wheel, the rubber dampers are removable and I'd imagine the powder coater would pull them out before baking if you left them in. The dampers are also easily available from Honda for the 1500 though you'd think they were made of gold! It cost me $160 to replace the dampers and the aluminum inserts in the rear wheel of my bike.

·
Premium Member
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

I hope to get pictures by next week and then get them posted one way or another.:cheeky1:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.