Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Just refreshed my starter and it worked fine for about three turn-overs then went back to slowing to the pt. it stopped. Checked volts at starter; 12.6 when button pushed, negative .3 and climbing (downwards) with key off??? Yes I had meter hooked up correctly (checked it 3-4 times!).

Took starter off 1100, removed back cover and took the brush assembly off. A piece of solder fell out of casing, burnt smell, discolored around the "plate" that holds brushes.

With starter removed, still have negative voltage reading on the wire that runs from battery to starter, this with ignition off. Bum Fuzzled at best!!!

Any ideas as I am in process of trouble-shooting now?

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
imported post

O.K. Now I have taken the starter back down and the wires going to the positive brushes side are bare of their insulation and the connection that goes to the inner housing is fried to the point of nothing left! What happened here? If those bare wires had made contact with the housing, would that have fried that connection?

Also, the starter wire from battery is now reading/drawing apositive .3 Volts. I am no electrician, thus do not know if the initial negative reading was due to voltage being "stored" in that cable or what (had just been attempting to crank), though it doesnt make common sense that it would. As I said earlier, no clue!

HELP!!!

·
Premium Member
724 Posts
imported post

Starter only gets voltage when start button depressed. If your solenoid is stuck starter will turn engine or try to do that.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.