Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I thought I understood what I was doing but now I'm wondering.:?

I decided toprovide the power to the grips from the Accessory terminal on the left side fuse block. There is a + terminal side and a - terminal sideso I assume I can just connect to either side? Is that correct? The terminal is 5 amp. Originally I thought theminus side meant it was a ground but I don't think that is the case.

If I don't use the accessory terminal where is there power in the front of a 1500 I can use? Some day I may add an extra fuse block but at this point my needs are simple.......I just want to keep my hands warm!

Thanks in advance.

·
Administrator
28,067 Posts
imported post

You are correct, you should be able to use those terminals.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
imported post

5 amps is enough???

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
imported post

It would be best to use a relay. You can take the power toactivate the relay from those terminals because they are switched you won't leave the grips on by mistake. I would be best to get the power for the grips directly from a fused line from the battery. If this is confusing, you should be able to search for info on this site as how to hook up a relay.

I was in Madawaska last week.

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
imported post

New day the Grip Heaters are supposed to be about 3+ amp draw. My idea was to get heat to my hands but if I popped fuses I'd add a relay. The wires are so small on the heaters, either 18 or 20 ga I couldn't imagine them taking much amperage. The next step if I add anything else would be to add additional power like what Rudy had Dusty Boots have recommended. I guess Rudy's kits are no longer available though.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Rudy never offered an 'electricalkit' , just advice/a tutorialon how to safely add onan additional power supply,safely.

The grip heaters draw 3.8 amps, on high.

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
imported post

Thanks Dusty for clarifying that. It looked like there was some sort of kit in one of the threads I read that had all the connectors etc. ready to install.

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
imported post

I think I put a 5 or 6 amp fuse in mine, and haven't blown them yet.

·
Administrator
28,067 Posts
imported post

I connected an amp meter to mine when I installed them, 3.2 amps on high.

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
imported post

Got my grips installed along with an aux port for my cell phone charging on longer trips. It's been raining for 3 days here in the NE but I cranked up the bike in the garage, (plenty of ventilation from the exhaust) and the grips heat up, even thought they are the Kury fat ones. I wanted to see what the current draw was but couldn't get a reading? I had the multimeter on the low 10 amp scale, and pulled out the fuse in the external fuse holder I added. I then stuck the two probes in where the fuse was so the meter was in the circuit. It justs read 0 but the grips heated up so I know they are working. I thought I understood some basics of electricity but I'm scratching my head!:?

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
imported post

Most meters require you to put the positive lead in a different position than if you are doing voltage and resistance readings. Dont know which one you have, but take a look, especially if you have a couple different ports.

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
imported post

It's got to be something simple. I was scratching my head,.....even did the unspeakable, got out the manual for the multimeter to make sure I wasn't overlooking the obvious but I must be!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.