Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I wanted to put a cigarette lighter outlet in my trunk but I wanted to keep it really simple and not drill any holes in anything. I also didn't want to mount it in the trunk lid as cigarette lighter plugs are not that secure and would fall out while ridding if I hit a bump.
I had the previously hooked up the Battery Tender lead with the SAE fitting to the battery and had it coming out from under the seat under the left rear speaker pocket. I took off the seat and then I picked up a Y splitter with SAE fittings on all ends and connected it to the previouse lead. I left one loose end of the splitter to stick out where it had previously under the pocket and then connected another extension with SAE fittings at each end to the leed. This I ran to the trunk and over the edge. I then connected a cigarette lighter adapter with SAE fittings and tucked the entire thing into a pocket of the trunk lid organizer. I put the seat back on and viola.
I now have power in the trunk through either a cigarette lighter plug or SAE plug. No holes were drilled and the whole thing is fused as well. Entire cost of parts was under $20. Powerlett makes all the parts you need and the quality is excellent. I did put a little electrictians tape around the couplings that I didn't plan on disasembling regularly just to ensure they stay dry and connected. I also saved the little rubber cap that Battery Tender provides to cover the SAE connector and covered the plug that came out of the seat. I used two little zip ties to hold the cord in place under the seat. I will be looking for a cap to cover the cigarette lighter outlet so I do not short it out. I think the Hardware store will have something that will work.
It took longer to put the seat back on then to everything else.

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
imported post

Considering that they just raised the price of a carton of cigarettes $10.00 a pop, spending another 20.00 for a back yard smoking tailgate party seems a real bargain.

Good Job BOB!

One more project for the week-end. I will never get caught up

FerrariMX5

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
imported post

Would like to see a picture of the finished product, but my computer will not load it from your post. Oh Well, I will just look at mine this week-end. I have some ideas already forming on how it will look.

FerrariMX5

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
imported post

Ferrarimx5 wrote:
Considering that they just raised the price of a carton of cigarettes $10.00 a pop, spending another 20.00 for a back yard smoking tailgate party seems a real bargain.
Hi Ferrarimx5,

I know this is a bit off topic (actually a lot) but my wife was here with me as I was reading this and she got a good chuckle. $10.00 a carton? The average price for a carton of smokes here runs about $110.00!

Tim.

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
imported post

Tim, that is .55 per cig.. That is twice the price of a can of coke a cola. Well I guess a Cigarette lasts twice as long, so they are about the same price. So does that mean smoking one pack (20 Cigarettes) is like drinking 40 Coke? If I had an 80 Coke a day problem I just might begin to believe I would have an addiction.

80 Cokes = aprox 8 Gallons

8 Gallons on a Goldwing will get you 6 Hours of distance a day.

8 Gallons of gas = 20.00
Two Packs of Smokes = 22.00

I would rather have my GOLDWING smoke for six hours and enjoy the ride and save Two Dollars.

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
imported post

I will take some pics this weekend to show the job. I didn't think of it till too late.

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
imported post

Here is the promised pictures. This shows the outlet in the trunk and two SAE plugs. Best part - no drilling.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
imported post

This one shows the SAE plug under the left rear speaker pocket. I can connect my Battery Tender or heated clothes there. I used the SAE plug cover that came with the Battery Tender to keep the plug contacts clean.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,581 Posts
imported post

Mr Magic Fingers wrote:
Ferrarimx5 wrote:
Hi Ferrarimx5,

I know this is a bit off topic (actually a lot) but my wife was here with me as I was reading this and she got a good chuckle. $10.00 a carton? The average price for a carton of smokes here runs about $110.00!

Tim.
thats totally outrageous:Xwhens it going to end?

mark:waving:

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
imported post

When they quit smoking

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.