Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have one?? Is it possible? Dont want to run a TV, just something small like a small radio for example. I have Compufire Alt and battery so not too worried about draining the battery

thanks

Ok, sorry did a search here and think this should be alright. I have 90amp Alt so not worried about draw.

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,675 Posts
While the engine is running it won't be a problem providing the amperage draw does not exceed the alternator's capability.

Using it with the engine stopped though can be very problematic "real soon now" as the battery voltage will drop below the point where it can start the engine again.

If you want to use it while stopped, I suggest a dedicated battery solely for the inverter.

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
I use a small inverter plugged into a cig lighter socket while running for my video camera all the time, works fine, while you are stopped perhaps a battery operated radio might be an option, I also carry a solar panel charger plugged into a cig lighter socket which keeps the battery topped up if needed for our cooler etc ...

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
Keep in mind that the inverter itself uses some power. Be sure to figure that into your power plan.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
I carry a 2nd mcycle battery with me for camping trips... used only to run the air pump for the mattress, or as an emergency jump-start. It doesn't take up much room in the saddle bag. Anyhow, I'd only use the Spare for an inverter... as I'd be afraid of otherwise draining the bike's battery, and ending up stranded.

·
Village Whack Job...
7,908 Posts
Did anyone think to ask for some details about the inverter? An inverter can pull on ehell of a draw without even having anything powered by it. Those little ones that plug into a cigarette lighter aren't worth the plastic they're made from in my opinion, and anything bigger than that would have me worried about the electrical system on the bike. Your battery and alternator aren't the only concerns here. You have to think about the rest of the system as well. Personally I would never run an inverter on motorcycle. And even running one in a car or truck I'd only do so if it connected directly to the battery terminals.

If all you want is a small radio just get a small battery operated unit, that way you only lose the radio if you lose track of time and sap the battery. Because an inverter will drain a motorcycle battery in just a few minutes if the bike isn't running.

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
The small 60 watt inverter plugged into the cig. lighter socket works well if the bike is running and you have enough of a charge going. Stock stators beware, also stock alternators do not charge at idle/parade mode, but my alternator conversion on my 1200 is always good for more power.

The bigger inverters should only be used on car/truck batteries that have plenty of reserve in them.

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
I've used many of the small inverters to run 110v chargers and laptops. Never on a motorcycle, but I wouldn't be scared to.

A) Wire in a power on/off relay to the inverter. (Not just a switch).
B) Remember that they're normally about 60% efficient.

Let's take a USB cell phone charger. I have one here for an iPhone that indicates:

0.3 Amps @ 120VAC. That's 36 watts total draw. (.3 x 120).

Now divide 36 by 0.6 (efficiency) and you have 60 watts power consumed.

Now divide 60 by 13.5 (running bike VDC) and you get 4.44 Amps. It raises to nearly 5 if you divide by 12.5 (stopped bike VDC).

This little math drill was to show you how something as small as an itty-bitty USB charger translates to a 5-amp drain on your battery. I'm not saying to not do what you want. I'm saying be armed with numbers and knowledge before you go forward, and certainly wire in the on/off relay so you don't get stuck somewhere inconvenient.

·
Premium Member
653 Posts
Here is the one I use for keeping the laptop, camera, and phone batteries charged when I am on the road.

It is run off a power plug which is switched with ignition on only, which I installed in the trunk. I use it to charge my portables, while I'm riding. If I stop somewhere for lunch or forget to unplug the devices at night or ??, it's switched off with the ignition, so it cannot inadvertently drain the battery.

Hope this helps...;)

http://www.harborfreight.com/automo...-200-watt-peak-slim-power-inverter-66944.html

·
Premium Member
555 Posts
I use a small inverter to charge my laptop while riding during the day and to charge our headsets over night while we're camping. I've had no problems with starting the bike the next morning.

·
Senior Moment Member
3,707 Posts
I have a 300 Watt inverter that I have used for years. It does plug into a lighter socket, and I have the sockets fused at 30 Amps. Normally I never use anywhere near the 300 watts, typically just a laptop and a couple of phone/ipad chargers. Normal use on an 1800 while running is not a problem but I would limit the amount of time you have it on when the bike is off.

I have a spare battery I built into the trailer and I charge that while going down the road. After stopping I have run the inverter for several hours with no problems.

I recommend you look at your max wattage and then get one that allows you a small amount over that. Make sure to use the right size wire and fuse the circuit appropriately so you don't either blow a lot of fuses or overheat your wiring.

It can be done, just plan ahead.

Henry

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.