Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

Premium Member
Get an AGM battery period! (y)
All 1500s will benefit from an AGM, as will any other motorcycle for that matter. :)

The reason is: the AGM battery chemistry holds up (y) the Terminal Voltage much better than the old Lead Acid type batteries (n)..... the result is immediate starts for the 1500s, 馃榿馃挭馃毚鈥嶁檪锔忦煆峞ven before you release your finger from the starter button. (y)
You know you have a good baattery when it starts before you push the start button!!!

Where did the Emoticons go?

Registered
Bought a new standard Wet Cell battery for my Jeep from Walmart this summer.... It, too, made by Johnson Controls.

Registered
Discussion Starter #44 (Edited)
Unfortunately the only battery available at Walmart for my 1990 GL1500 bike is this lead acid battery, which happens to be what I currently have that failed TOTALLY...

Administrator
Thanks again to everyone that has taken the time to respond.

So all those (most everyone) that was saying my battery was the problem was RIGHT AS RAIN!!

Here is one I spotted on Amazon for $64.90...

The only concern I would have with some of the AGM batteries I found that say they're for the 1990 GL1500 Goldwing is with the fit. Some of these batteries have very odd dimensions. The dimensions of the above listed battery from Amazon looks like it should fit OK.

Again... THANKS everyone that has responded!

You are correct about the size. I tried one of those and... it wouldn't fit in the bike's frame with the stock holder in place. And, the connector posts were the wrong size. Also the battery didn't last long enough to talk about, and always seemed low on power.

Eventually I gave up and bought a new battery from Wal-Mart and it doesn't seem to be much better. I'll be going back to the OEM Yuasa next time.

Administrator
Unfortunately the only battery available at Walmart for my 1990 GL1500 bike is this lead acid battery, which happens to be what I currently have that failed TOTALLY...

View attachment 320384
I have bought several batteries from Battery Mart, very good vendor, I trust them.

this is your 1990 year 1500

this AGM battery is 350 CCA, and I guarantee you, that the engine will be running before you get your fingers off the start button. and it is the lowest priced on the site at $72 and free shipping.

Premium Member
Hello,

My 1990 GL1500 bike has experienced some kind of power issue/failure.

I wanted to take it for one last ride before putting it away for the winter... I turned the key and all the lights came on nice and bright like they always do, pressed the start button and everything went out and now the power is completely dead.

Cycled the key off/on but still nothing at all. Checked the battery and all seems OK with it. Checked the main fuse (dog bone) located next to the battery and it looks fine and also checked all the fuses in the fuse block on opposite side of battery and didn't find any blown fuses there either.

The next day I tried turning the key again to see if anything had changed but still nothing. :frown2: I did notice on the second day that the back light for the LCD display and stereo knobs comes on... but nothing else. I cycled the key off and on a few times and started getting a noise I would describe as a relay buzzing and trying to energize... almost like the sound the air pump makes when it is running.

I know there is a block of 10A & 20A relays next to the fuse block but I haven't taken the time yet to remove the side saddle to get access to them and check those and see if the "buzzing" sound comes from there. I did Google around a bit and found some comments that were somewhat similar but not exactly the same as my issue/symptoms related to those relays.

So... my question is, am I looking in the right area and suspecting one of those relays or should I be looking somewhere else?

Thanks for any guidance provided.

Tim
I have bought several batteries from Battery Mart, very good vendor, I trust them.

this is your 1990 year 1500

this AGM battery is 350 CCA, and I guarantee you, that the engine will be running before you get your fingers off the start button. and it is the lowest priced on the site at $72 and free shipping.

The 71.95 battery is a Chinese knockoff battery. The Big Crank is made by East-Penn manufacturing in Lyon Station, PA.

Registered
Discussion Starter #50
So the Big Crank battery looks like it should fit the battery compartment of my '90 GL1500... I think terminals should match up as well.

Administrator
I purchase my Big Cranks directly from the Battery Mart store (for less money)...!
when I lived in Phoenix, AZ,
we actually had a Battery Mart store there, and I also noticed that the same battery on the website is cheaper in the local store....
  • IMO, that means they have the "Free Shipping" already embedded into the "online pricing".

Registered
I used to buy from Battery Mart too. Now I go to Batteries Plus Bulbs. They have a brick and mortar store about fifteen minutes from home. Good prices, good batteries and very good customer service. I call to tell them what I need and they've got it charged and waiting for me. It's silly but makes me feel better than yanking one off a shelf or having UPS drop it at the door.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts