Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has a new battery and am losing power completely starts with jump box but when try to pull away it dies all power is gone gl1500 interstate goldwing

·
Pwhoever
3,171 Posts
Sounds like maybe your alternator has failed. These require quite a bit of juice to start and then the alternator charges the battery back up. If the alternator isn't providing a charge, the bike will die right away when you remove the jump box. It may also be the main fuse. A multimeter will be needed to test.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like maybe your alternator has failed. These require quite a bit of juice to start and then the alternator charges the battery back up. If the alternator isn't providing a charge, the bike will die right away when you remove the jump box. It may also be the main fuse. A multimeter will be needed to test.
Could it be the stator I was pretty sure it was alternator but part store is saying could be something more and referred me here the jump box will start it as soon as i take it off and pull away it dies all power gone Had to leave box on it to get home 2 miles away

·
Registered
450 Posts
The stator is part of the alternator. If you are not confident about understanding charging/electrical tests you need to find somebody who is to do it for you

·
Premium Member
6,731 Posts
As the others said the alternator on a GL1500 has an internal stator unlike the stators that failed on the GL1200.
There is a slight chance the battery is shorted. It is unusual but more common if it has an AGM battery. I would disconnect the ground cable from the battery and charge it up. Then reconnect the battery ground cable. The bike should start and run even if the alternator is bad. It would run off the charged battery for a while. If the battery will not take a charge the battery is no good and must be replaced no matter what.
So if you charge the battery and it starts and runs fine connect a volt meter to the battery. Let the engine run for several minutes and watch the trend of what the meter is doing. If the voltage is going down the alternator or wiring is bad. Probably the alternator. If the voltage is going up or holding close to 13.7 volts the alternator is probably good.
.I am relatively confident the issue is the battery or the alternator. If you do the things I listed above I think you can narrow it down. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts