Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I’m have a problem with my 1988 gl1500. When passing large trucks, just as I become abreast of the front and hit the wind being pushed by it my goldwing will almost shut down for a few seconds then pick back up. It does the same when hit head on with a big gust of wind. Thanks

·
Older and Wiser
1,734 Posts
imported post

When you say "almost shut down," do youmean the engine almost cuts outeven though the throttle is open, or does the bike seem to lack power?

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
imported post

oldmarinedi wrote:
I’m have a problem with my 1988 gl1500. When passing large trucks, just as I become abreast of the front and hit the wind being pushed by it my goldwing will almost shut down for a few seconds then pick back up. It does the same when hit head on with a big gust of wind. Thanks

Ben is asking the right questions, we really need a bit more info before attempting to help. Do th erevs stay the same when you get gusted, or do the drop down and almost cut out the motor, or do they evenincrease with no gain in power or speed?

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Haven’t noticed a drop in RPM but a big loss of power and Speed. (10-20 MPH)

I’ve tried opening the throttle more but it just seems to increase the speed loss and duration.

·
Best looking member
3,107 Posts
imported post

If the rpm's are not dropping, and eveything else seems to still be working.Sounds like it just from hitting the wind wall,

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

Something like this happened to a friend of mine who was riding a 1985 Magna V-45 some years ago..We Airmen are very sensitive to power vs action you know... We were traveling along side a 42ft tractor trailer on the way up to Maine andthe same thing happened to him when he moved out in front of the tractors' slip stream.. The bike had over 80 thousand miles on it. The Honda tech said the clutch plates were worn to the point that when on level ground, and on mild inclines, there was no noticeable lag in power. However, when we were passing the truck, we were also going up an incline plus the force of hitting the wind from the truck caused the clutch to slip. He had the clutch rebuilt and never had the problem again.. Not to say this is your problem, but something to concider.. He did not mention looking at the tachometer at the time... Hope this helps... Renegade

All Gave Some,, Some Gave All

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
imported post

If the revs are not increasing when you hit the wind then the clutch is okay, so in that case you might have a problem with the carbs out of balance. Out of balance carbs won't pull properly together and you will probably only notice a difference when under extreme conditions like you described.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.