Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hey Y'all!

Wife picked up an mp3 player for the trike, works great for the most part, but I have a few questions.

I intalled an Innovatek FM modulator. It is powered by the electrical tap at the top of the fuse panel under the left side coverand plugged in to the antenna line under the seat. Got it for $17 plus shipping. (That might be part of the problem.) It works well if I run the player off the player'sbattery, but when I run power to it from the power plug in the left pocket it sounds somewhat like the CB when there is no one talking and you have the squelch turned off. The power port runs off the same electrical tap. I also ran power dierct from the bike'sbattery to the power outlet, and the effect was the same- verynoisy. Sounds the same on both settings available on the modulator- 88.3 or 88.7. Tried a line filter, and that didn't help. There is no alternator whine, and the sound is the same if the bike is running or if the key is in the "acc" position.The sound is good if I use a cassette type adapter whether the player is off the internal battery of the playeror the power tap. The sound is a bit thinner (tinny) with the modualtor than with the cassette adapter.

That's the background, now the questions-

1- What is a good way to run a power outlet? I like the idea of it turning off with the ignition, and as long as I don't pull more than 5 amps,the bikes accessory power seems OK.There probably is a better way, though.

2-This one may be obvious - would a better (more expensive) hard wired modulator be a cure? I saw one that cut out the antenna when the modulator is used. This one is overpowered when I ride past a radio tower with a signal on the same frequency it is set on. And, as I mentioned, the sound is somewhat thin.

3- Can I leave the cassette adapter in the slot indefinatly? I don't want to mess up the playback head in case I want to play a tape. Don't have any anymore, but it could happen.

4- For those who use the adapter- do you close the cassette door with the adapter inserted? Seems to me the wire would mess up the gasket on the tape door after a while and allow water to get in to the tape port.

5- Is there any other way to wire an "aux" input short of pulling the CB andchanging toa radio from an Interstate? I understand that the Interstate has an "aux" input to the radio due to it having no CB. Oh, getting an 1800 isn't and option,either. *sigh*

Thanks in advance!

·
Older and Wiser
1,734 Posts
imported post

Ozarkryder, you say that "It works well if I run the player off the battery," yet you also say "I also ran power dierct from the battery to the power outlet, and the effect was the same- verynoisy."
Ignoring that bit of confusion, the clue is that the unit is noisy with the engine off. If you get noise with the engine off then the FM modulator is either faulty or just not up to the job because it's cheaply made.

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Um...oops. I edited the post to clear up that bit- The sound is ok unless the player is connected to the modulator and power from the bike. Power from the bike and the cassette adapter- OK. Power from the battery of the player and the modulator-OK. Power from the bike and the modulator- not OK.

It seems there is "dirty" power coming through somehow. I just don;t know what to do about it. :stumped:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.