Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Red and CJ's homeward leg continuued.....

Leaving the green state of Arkansas, Red and I snaked through a corner of Missouri, headed up north for awhile, turned left and we were once again out on the great prairies of America, the beginning of the High Plains..... Kansas.

Many people don't like riding the prairies, but we do. While the roads are often straight as a ruler and the whole world seems like one big agricultural "desert...." just wheatfields, cornfields, and sunflowers forever... if you look a little closer, you can see a few little spots where the plow couldn't go, little gullies and knolls, little pieces of natural prairie, and if you use your imagination a little, you can see the buffalo wallows and the Pawnee, the thin lines of soldiers in blue coats, the whipcord tough and everreaching Overlanders, The Oregon Trailers...... There's a lot of history under that corn and wheat, folks!

Our first stop was at Andover, Kansas, where Flyone makes his home..... Ever met Flyone? I defy you to find a better, a greater, guy than Flyone, who was so excited about us coming through that he made me humble, which is no mean feat! He met us with his lovely daughter Karli riding shotgun on his beautiful Wing, and took us home, where he introduced us to his father and begged us to stay, and when we reluctantly said we couldn't (that time and money thing, ya know?) -- he got on the phone and arranged a lunch with some of his Rhinoes -- Patch and Bill's Girl. We had a great meal, which he wouldn't allow us to pay for, of course, and then we geared up and continued on 135 North and 81 North to Salina, where we spent the night. If you ever get a chance to meet up with Flyone.... do so.... you won't regret it!

The sky is very important in the prairie states, very.... and we were lucky this time and were spared the thunderstorms and twisters that plagued us on the way out. Leaving Salinas, we crossed the state line into Nebraska, where we met up briefly with MDKramer again, and then turned west on Highway 30, the true Oregon Trail.We spent the night in North Platte, visited the Chimney Rock Visitor's center, blew by Scottsbluff, and stopped at one of our favorites, the ghost-filled parade grounds of Ft. Laramie.... and we were in Wyoming and the West again, and I knew the faint blue line of the RockyMountainswas just over the horizon!

Flyone and his daughter.....

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd226/roscinante/MCtrip2009115.jpg

lunch in Wichita....... left to right, Bill's Girl, CJ, Red, Patch, Karli, Flyone....

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd226/roscinante/MCtrip2009117.jpg

Kansas skies.... behold or beware!

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd226/roscinante/MCtrip2009119.jpg

Cj and the St and Chimney Rock and The Oregon Trail,Nebraska.....

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd226/roscinante/MCtrip2009121.jpg

The ST and Scottsbluff, The Oregon Trail, Nebraska.......

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd226/roscinante/MCtrip20092044.jpg

The Cavalry barracks, Old Ft Laramie, where ghosts muster.....

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd226/roscinante/MCtrip2009128.jpg

The soldier's bar, Old Ft Laramie, where drunken ghosts hang out......!

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd226/roscinante/MCtrip2009127.jpg

theruins of theFort hospital, Ft. Laramie

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd226/roscinante/MCtrip2009130.jpg

·
Just one of the guys
4,814 Posts
imported post

Funny thing, all them pictures look the same to me.

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

DougW wrote:
Funny thing, all them pictures look the same to me.
Got em changed, Doug, got em changed......... I think!

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
imported post

CJ, you should give some thought to writing book some day about your experiences. You really have a way with words. :cooler:

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

When riding home in October 18th,long after NASSIR I last year, I rode up along SR 26, from Ogallala, through Scottsbluff and on to I 25 in WY. It was 85* when I stopped to refuel andchatwith a fellow winger in Scottdsbluff.

One of the things that sticks out in my mind was all the long trains, pulling at least 100 cars each, loaded with coal. Must have seen 8 of them and every one blew their whistle when I waved at them. :waving:

You could also make out the ruts of the pioneers wagons, as they ventured west to the 'Promise Land', to start anew.

As for Flyone, you hit the nail square on the head. Bill is 'Special People' Couldn't find a nicer guy if you tried! :cooler: ..... it's just that he dresses a little ..... peculiar .... at times! :doh:

Nice report and photos, CJ

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
imported post

Dusty Boots wrote:
As for Flyone, you hit the nail square on the head. Bill is 'Special People' Couldn't find a nicer guy if you tried! :cooler: ..... it's just that he dresses a little ..... peculiar .... at times! :doh:

Nice report and photos, CJ

Ya know, Dusty, it might of been the heat, but he didn't put a thong on his head once...... not once!

Thanks for the compliments, but mine is poor work stacked against your reports! And in answer to one of your earlier questions.... yup..... sure are planning on being at Montrose! You, too?

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Cousin Jack wrote:
Ya know, Dusty, it might of been the heat, but he didn't put a thong on his head once...... not once!
And in answer to one of your earlier questions.... yup..... sure are planning on being at Montrose! You, too?

I heard through the Grapevine, that he's thinking on a new piece of 'attire' for Montrose. ;)

Yup, sure am going to Montrose,CJ.

Plan on leaving Sept 1 and spending my 1st night at Eagle Creek campground, in the 'Gorge'

2nd night is a toss up, depending on the weather.

If it's nice, I'll head on over to Astoriaand head ondown the Oregon Cost, to either Sunset Bay State Park(by Coos Bay) if I'm making good time, orBeachside State Park(just south of Waldport) if I am not making good time/miles. Then on to Crater Lake

If the weather is not so hot, I'll stick to the leeward(drier) side of the Cascades and head for Crater Lake

Cheers, Dusty

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
imported post

And anyone coming across Nebraska on the way to Montrose would find an addition to your party in Gina and I on the way through. :)

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
imported post

Dusty Boots wrote:
Yup, sure am going to Montrose,CJ.

Plan on leaving Sept 1 and spending my 1st night at Eagle Creek campground, in the 'Gorge'

2nd night is a toss up, depending on the weather.

If it's nice, I'll head on over to Astoriaand head ondown the Oregon Cost, to either Sunset Bay State Park(by Coos Bay) if I'm making good time, orBeachside State Park(just south of Waldport) if I am not making good time/miles. Then on to Crater Lake

If the weather is not so hot, I'll stick to the leeward(drier) side of the Cascades and head for Crater Lake

Cheers, Dusty
Red and I are also going to be heading down...... maybe just me if Red can't get off work. Maybe we or I could hook up with you for a bit....... (won't hurt our feelings if you want to travel alone.... we would understand!)

I thought you would be in Ontario by now....... is that move delayed? Or have you decided to remain in B.C.?

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

Awesome pictures there CJ. :clapper:

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

CJ, I'll email you my 'travel route plan(s) a little later today and if they work into your schedule and style, you(both) are more than welcome to join me. No 'big mileage days, as most are between 5 - 7 1/2 hours travel time and almost all secondary roads. The only 'fly in the ointment' was not reserving a camping spot at Lake Tahoe, but with a few members suggestions, I have tracked down a couple of good 'possibles', nearby

As for moving back to Ontario, that happens soon(28th or 29th), so things are getting a little 'close, but I got most things pretty well organized.I have the moving van and tandem axle float for transporting my vanall ordered,a 10x20 storage room booked close to my parents and about half the stuff packed ;) Just gavemy bikean oil change, installed a new rear tire and completed a pre-trip 'going over. All that's left to do is give her a good cleaning, deciding what camping gear to take and pack her.

I'll be leaving my bike here in Penticton, in my storage room and am flying back here on Aug 31. The I'll grab a short cab ride from the airport to my storage room, pick the bike up and crash out at Beemer-Brad's place and leave the morning of Sept 1. He is considering accompanying me to Eagle Creek Campground to spend the night(if he's not back to work), before returning home.

Cheers, Dusty

·
Premium Member
6,097 Posts
imported post

What always crosses my mind when I think of that part of the country is the people heading out west back in the past.

I think about how fast our steads can take us where we want to go and then about them,

wagons loaded so heavily that the women and children walked behind.

After living in the crowded forest land on the civilized side of the Mississippi, I can only imagine how beautiful that great piece of farm land had to seem to them.

Oh, just to be able to go back to that time for just a short while.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.