Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Several years ago i worked in a lawnmower shop. The boss hired a kid to be the gofer--(you know go for this and go for that). well this one day he was standing around doing nothing so my friend and i sent him to napa,which was in the next town 20 miles away for a 7mm wingnut strecher. had some fun with that kid, his car quit one day so we told him his kanuder valve went bad in his exhaust manifold

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

.........and don't forget the large tin of elbow grease :waving: ;):leprechaun:

·
Premium Member
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Captainbrian47 wrote:
.........and don't forget the large tin of elbow grease :waving: ;):leprechaun:
thats a good one I am gonna have to remember that one.

how about rotating the valve stems to balance to tires?

·
Premium Member
5,382 Posts
imported post

I worked part time in a dairy while in high school and the guys gave a newbie the run around to get a bucket of steam.

He spent half the daywandering from department to department carrying an empty pail and being told to try the next floor etc.

While he was doing that, the rest of us were slugging away unloading trucks, dragging crates, feeding the bottle line. What a dummy he was.......hmmm.

·
Premium Member
6,765 Posts
imported post

Working on towers the best one is to go get a sky hook.

Cabinet shop = Board Stretcher

And no joke, when I was working as a mechanic, an older lady had moved from upper New York to Houston. I did maintaince on her car through the spring and summer. When winter came about she brought her car in to get the air in her tires changed from "summer air" for "winter air". She said her mechanic back home had been doing it for years for her for no charge and he reminded to make sure she continued doing it or the tires will dry rot from the inside.

·
Premium Member
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

i have done the board one. thats a good one though about the summer to winter air pressure...LOL

·
Premium Member
63,058 Posts
imported post

and don't forget the left handed Monkey Wrench

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
imported post

while working in the air force as a fighter mech. we loved to send newbies out for a yard of flightline or tell them we forgot the keys to the plane and send them off for them. later while working at a new car dealership we love sending them back to the bodyshop for a cup of paint thinner in a styrofoam cup.:)

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
imported post

Machinist: Have the gofer stop at the hardware store for a lenght of 1/4-20 thread...not studstock or all thread just the thread part.

·
1984 GL1200 Interstate
58 Posts
imported post

My dad sent my brother and I over to the neighbor's house for a board stretcher one day... Ol' Dickie was no slouch, he sent us back to tell our dad that he didn't have a board stretcher but instead had a bucket of knotholes that we could glue together. I thought dad was going to die laughing when we told him that.

CrabbyJack

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
imported post

Somehow a conversation with a younger fella at work turned toward doing laundry. I told him we only use a "solar" dryer at home. He asked where he could find one of those. I just told him at most any hardware store.

I don't know he ever went shopping for one yet :cool:

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
imported post

I used to be a general superintendent for a home const company, one time my boss hired a kid fresh out of the Navy, because he had stopped and helped my boss change a tire on his car.
Well this kid was sort of a nimrod, my confidence in our nuclear submarines was shaken to the core, until I found out he had a non-combative type assignment.
One day we ran low on nails, and I sent him to the lumber yard to get 100 lbs of 16d sinkers, and 5 lbs of 16d toe nails.
Then after he left, I called the lumber yard to tell them to watch out for him, and to tell him they were out of toe nails so he would have to get them somewhere else.
When he finally came back, he wouldn't talk to me for the rest of the day

·
Registered
110 Posts
imported post

I recall one of our trainees being sent out for a tin of red tartan paint.

He wasn't amused when he returned empty-handed

Alan Y

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
imported post

How about a pea spliter to make split pea soup.
While working in mess halls, it was always entertaining to send the new cook to other mess halls in search. We always called ahead, kept them busy awhile.:cooldevil:

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
imported post

I am an electrician. I would send my apprentice(s) to find various thing in the supply room that would baffle even the material handlers that worked in the supply room.
Now depending on the job it sometimes would take 20 minutes just to walk down there, so my main goal was to send an annoyance away for an hour or so.
The best one was sending a green apprentice after an 8 inch Diksfer. After an hour of not seeing my apprentice I needed some of the other material he was sent for. I was walking along towards the supply room (which was 6 floors below) and another journeyman stopped me to tell me Mark was still looking for my material.(I had forgotten I had sent him for an 8" Diksfer)
This journeyman looked at me and asked "Kevin I am a little curious. What is an 8" Diksfer?"
With as straight a face as I could muster I told him "Well to explain that I would have to explain the birds and bees..... but if you come into this dark room I will show ya."
He laughed so hard I thought he would suffocate from not breathing.
Apparently when Mark and the material handler could not figure out what it was they started asking everyone who came in because by the time I got to the supply room 4 other people asked me the same question.

"Hey Kevin, I am a little curious. What is an 8" Diksfer?"

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
imported post

yuppers, I was a 2nd shift supervisor at a large custom woodworking facility (cabinets, cutting boards, etc.). It worked well, as there were 4 other supervisors on the night shift. We had a lot of temps come through there. We'd send temps from supervisor to supervisor asking for a board stretcher. Fun times...

·
Senior Mem & Story Teller
3,498 Posts
imported post

Worked in a repair shop where one of the young guys was dating the owners daughter and we and the boss parlayed that into a very funny happening. We took two condoms and put a little hand cleaner in them and put them next to the kids creeper. When the shop was opened the next morning the rest of us made sure the boss and the kid were the first in there. The boss lit in on the kid wanting to know if he had been banging his daughter. He had the kid on pins and needles the whole day.

·
Premium Member
973 Posts
imported post

I worked in a fast food joint and during the winter we would have the newbies sanitize a stainless steel bucket with a lid. We then send them across the street to get steam. Of course the guys would just put a little hot water in the bucket and send them back. We would stop them outside when they came back and ask them if they got the steam. Most of them would lift the lid to show us the steam and then we yelled at them for letting all of the steam out. They would then go back to the gas station for a refill.

·
Premium Member
973 Posts
imported post

Another prank that we did at the restaurant was fold ketchup packets in half and put them under the bumpers of the toilet seat. When customers sat down, they would catch a cross fire of ketchup across the butt. Thankfully the manager never figured out that it was the employees doing it.

We also would cover the toilet bowl with Siran wrap. Not the seat but under the seat. When people went in and took a leak, they went all over the floor. The maintenance guy just about killed us when he found out that it was us.

·
Premium Member
209 Posts
imported post

We had a laborer come to work one time who seemed to be lacking something, everything was going fine (boss was getting a kick outa it to). until we sent him to ask boss where the Smoke Grinder was?, boss said enough was enough :wtf: :? :badgrin:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.