Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

So, I'm going on my longest-ever road trip this thursday, and I wanted to know, what do you all look at before leaving on a long-haul? What spare parts do you bring? What tool did you wish you had on the side of the road?

So far, I have the following:

Pre-Flight

Fluids:

Engine oil clean, and at correct level.

Final drive oil clean, and at correct level.

Coolant clean, and at correct level.

No piss-stains on the driveway.

Battery electrolyte level correct (if applicable.)

Mechanical:

Seat is secure, and latched.

All bags and trunk lids are secure and locked.

Suspension is preasureized properly for load

Anti-dive is set for load.

Tires are at proper presure, and tread is sufficient. No cupping. No play in wheel bearings.

Clutch disengages drive completely.

Brakes operate properly.

Steering is firm, no flop, no wiggle.

Electical:

Guages operate properly

Stator connections are intact, and no signs of damage.

Battery vent hose is attatched, and routed properly (if equipped)

Turn signals operate.

Hazzard lights operate

Brake lights operate

High AND low beam operate.

Light modulators operate (if equipped)

HORN works

Fan fuse is intact. (<-- That one almost hosed me once)

Spare Parts

Spare ignition coil

Quart of oil

Liter (Litre for you on the other side of the pond:cheeky1:)of water

Tools

Full socket set

Allen Key set

Cord-stylepatch kit

Air pump

So, what did I miss? I think I'll have room for clothes after I pack all of this stuff!

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

Make sure that not only do the brakes operate, but check fluid level and cleanliness, and check the amount of meat left on your brake pads.

Not sure if I would need a spare coil, but certainly some spare fuses and bulbs.

Raymond

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Well, one of my coils recently failed, so I'm keeping a good one on hand in case the other one decides to depart.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

A bunch of belt and suspenders (braces) men. Do you guys carry your personal gear in a trailer? I defy the road gods, check tire pressure, check oil, fill tank, GO!

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
A bunch of belt and suspenders (braces) men. Do you guys carry your personal gear in a trailer? I defy the road gods, check tire pressure, check oil, fill tank, GO!
Oh thank goodness, I was beginning to think my one spare pair of underpants and toothbrush meant I had forgotten something!:goofygrin:

Some of the small stuff is a good idea though, bulbs will live on bike from now on.

Pete

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
imported post

Yep check tire pressure and tires for wear.......... Recently had a couple of members of a group i belong to.... *man and wife* on there way back home from the holister rally... Was about 30 miles from home going down the interestate in new mexico... blew back tire.. going about 70 when it happened.. pulling a trailer.. yep he lost it.. put both of them in the hospital.. but they both gonna make it..just a long road for them to get back....... alot of broken bones and what not...... but there gonna pull thru this.

·
GERIATRIC MEMBER
57,413 Posts
imported post

Hey Philcsand :waving:What a load of rubbish, you wont need any of that stuff, :stumped: it's a Goldwing your driving, not a god damn hd. :whip: The most important part you will need is your good old plastic friend, "Mr.Visa" :clapper: Good luck and come back safe. :clapper:

:leprechaun::18red::leprechaun:

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
imported post

philcsand wrote:
Pre-Flight

Fluids:

Engine oil clean, and at correct level.

Final drive oil clean, and at correct level.

Coolant clean, and at correct level.

No piss-stains on the driveway.

Battery electrolyte level correct (if applicable.)

Mechanical:

Seat is secure, and latched.

All bags and trunk lids are secure and locked.

Suspension is preasureized properly for load

Anti-dive is set for load.

Tires are at proper presure, and tread is sufficient. No cupping. No play in wheel bearings.

Clutch disengages drive completely.

Brakes operate properly.

Steering is firm, no flop, no wiggle.

Electical:

Guages operate properly

Stator connections are intact, and no signs of damage.

Battery vent hose is attatched, and routed properly (if equipped)

Turn signals operate.

Hazzard lights operate

Brake lights operate

High AND low beam operate.

Light modulators operate (if equipped)

HORN works

Fan fuse is intact. (<-- That one almost hosed me once)

Spare Parts

Spare ignition coil

Quart of oil

Liter (Litre for you on the other side of the pond:cheeky1:)of water

Tools

Full socket set

Allen Key set

Cord-stylepatch kit

Air pump

I used to check like this when I was riding a Norton, but with the Gold Wings, it's just like exavid says, check the oil, tire pressure, fill the tank and off I go.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Over many years I carried parts, over many years I discovered the parts I carried were not the ones I needed when something went kaput! So nowadays I just keep up on the routine maintenance, and ride whether it's a long trip or a short one.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Silverfox wrote:
Oh thank goodness, I was beginning to think my one spare pair of underpants and toothbrush meant I had forgotten something!:goofygrin:

Pete
You don't need spare underpants unless the trip is longer than four days. Day two you turn them around. Day three you turn them inside out. Day four turn them around again. Unless you've had a big scare, then you might want to lightly rinse.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

stormintba wrote:
Yep check tire pressure and tires for wear.......... Recently had a couple of members of a group i belong to.... *man and wife* on there way back home from the holister rally... Was about 30 miles from home going down the interestate in new mexico... blew back tire.. going about 70 when it happened.. pulling a trailer.. yep he lost it.. put both of them in the hospital.. but they both gonna make it..just a long road for them to get back....... alot of broken bones and what not...... but there gonna pull thru this.
That's one of the big minuses about trailers that no one seems to talk about, if anything goes bad with it or the bike your chances of riding it out are much less. I once had a fairly light trailer break a rear spring on the road, I was pulling it with a one ton truck but could hardly keep the truck on the road until I got everything stopped. It's hard to imagine how much force that light trailer could exert on a 6000lb truck or how violent the whipsawing was.I can't imagine what it would be like on a bike,the ratio of towing vehicle weight to trailer weight is a lot lower. I would NEVER pull a trailer with a bike, too chicken. I guess we all have our own phobias.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
Silverfox wrote:

Pete
You don't need spare underpants unless the trip is longer than four days. Day two you turn them around. Day three you turn them inside out. Day four turn them around again. Unless you've had a big scare, then you might want to lightly rinse.
Lightly rinse! I thought that's why I had the tooth brush!!!:baffled:

Pete

·
Premium Member
1,099 Posts
imported post

Don't forget the joining a break down and relay service, a waste of money for a wing owner, but you never know!!!!!. but it does free up your boxes for your own possessions. As the three back boxes are for her who must be obeyed :rollingeyes:, the fairing pockets are for us poor males:byebye:.

Happy riding:11red:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

manxblackcat wrote:
Don't forget the joining a break down and relay service, a waste of money for a wing owner, but you never know!!!!!. but it does free up your boxes for your own possessions. As the three back boxes are for her who must be obeyed :rollingeyes:, the fairing pockets are for us poor males:byebye:.
Whuss!:tongue:

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
imported post

Bandannas, 30 block suntan lotion, aspirin, 3 water bottles, at least one long sleeve light t-shirt, a pair of comfy broke in shoes, (along withriding boots), ball cap. You gotta take care of yourself first and foremost!!!!!

Always keep extra water with you, keep hydrated!!! don't be shy in taking an aspirin (they're not just for headaches) Keep that sensitive skin covered like your nose and ears by using sunblock and a bandanna. I know some wear full leathers no matter what the temp is, I can't do that but use a L/S t-shirt to keep the arms protected from the sun. Use wet bandannas, wet shirts, whatever, to keep body temp. down. Keep your melon covered either by bandannas, skullcap, ball cap, or helmet. Keep snacks packed & handy, and sunflower seeds are good for getting rid of the sandman. A pair of comfy shorty riding gloves. Back up comfy footwear, just in case you have to take a hike.

So many times, guys are more worried about their machines than themselves

Everything sounds good for the bike, but do pack electrical tape, a little wound of electrical wire (speakerwire works), crazy glue, in addition to your tool kit, wirestripper/cutter, knife, (a good multi-function knife can cover this), quality sun glasses and night riding glasses (yellow lens) MAKE SURE TIRES ARE IN GOOD SHAPE

Enjoy

Kyle

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Kyle wrote:
Keep snacks packed & handy, and sunflower seeds are good for getting rid of the sandman. A pair of comfy shorty riding gloves. Back up comfy footwear, just in case you have to take a hike.

So many times, guys are more worried about their machines than themselves

Everything sounds good for the bike, but do pack electrical tape, a little wound of electrical wire (speakerwire works), crazy glue, in addition to your tool kit, wirestripper/cutter, knife, (a good multi-function knife can cover this), quality sun glasses and night riding glasses (yellow lens) MAKE SURE TIRES ARE IN GOOD SHAPE

Enjoy

Kyle
Kyle, in order to help you to pack for your trip over to UK I have extracted all the unnecessary items from your list!! However, you will unfortunately have to pack some of the following instead:

Helmets, (No choice on this one, unless you want a comfy bed in secure accommodation!)

Thermal underwear.

Gortex double lined jacket, trousers, gloves and boots.

Heated gloves.

Umbrellas, wellington boots, ( both of these could substitute the comfy shoes)

Hot drinks and sandwiches and cakes, kettle tea/coffee, milk, sugar, cups and saucers, teapot, cooker, table, chairs, napkins, doilys, tablecloth, knives forks , spoons, cake forks, serving cutlery, oh and most important, the Butler.

10p pieces, for the public loos.

Names and addresses of all the European members of this site, so that you can use their tumble dryers to dry the wet clothes!!

Pete

PS, Yes a leatherman will cover just about all other eventualities.

:goofygrin::goofygrin::goofygrin::goofygrin::goofygrin:

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
imported post

Silver,

Man it's a good job I have a trailer!!!!! Is orange pekoe tea OK? What's her name can double for the butler. I believe I have everything else. I guess I'll have to wear my Joe Rocket jacket as opposed to my comfy leather.

Kyle

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Kyle wrote:
Silver,

Man it's a good job I have a trailer!!!!! Is orange pekoe tea OK? What's her name can double for the butler. I believe I have everything else. I guess I'll have to wear my Joe Rocket jacket as opposed to my comfy leather.

Kyle
Sounds like you are well sorted, especially as you have the essential Butler covered, might want to chuck in the smoking jacket and tuxedo incase we have company from a BMW rider.

Talking of trailers, if you take a tour on motorcycle whilst here I have a new little trailer and you are welcome to use it if needs be.

The "Butler" can always go fetch anything you have forgotten, like if you run short on the foi gras pate, or the ice has melted for the champers.

I have followed this thread with interest actually, and have reolised that my toothbrush and underpantsleave me woefully under equipped, I will definately get the yellow night glasses and sunglasses incase we go on the day of summer. Don't want to get caught out on this vast wilderness called Britain!!:goofygrin:
Pete

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.