Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I read the manual, 0-25 settings and how it works.Yes, how much you weight and what kind of ride you want, BUT, BUT...

HOW do you know WHEN it's adjusted correctly??? WHAT to look for, that tells you, "that's it"

THANKS

GL1800-2006

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

More info, need more info.

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

Anytime I adjust any suspension, I am looking if I'm one-up, or two-up, and whether I bounce, or bottom out going over rough roads, train tracks, etc. It depends on your weight, your passenger's weight, and your own personal comfort level. The owner's manual should give you some kind of baseline setting, or recommendations, or maybe not.

·
Disfunctional Nimatode
3,381 Posts
imported post

"It depends on your weight, your passenger's weight, and your own personal comfort level."

Mikef sums it pretty well right there..........I set my shocks so they just get by without bottoming out with 2 up. And, I run with at that setting while by myself also. This gives us that softest ride we can get while 2 up..... and gives me a little more firmer suspension while by myself if I choose ride a little more agressively. You don't want to be bottoming the shocks too often...... if at all, if all possible. Other than that it's up to you on how firm you want them.

I might add that I have progressive non-air shocks and they are a pain to switch back and forth(cuz of the bags).... so I settle for the above senario. I do like them alot.

·
Registered
297 Posts
imported post

Finaldrive wrote:
I read the manual, 0-25 settings and how it works.Yes, how much you weight and what kind of ride you want, BUT, BUT...

HOW do you know WHEN it's adjusted correctly??? WHAT to look for, that tells you, "that's it"

THANKS

GL1800-2006
I just played with the setting until I found what felt good to me. The setting will vary widely for different riders and different bikes. One up, two up, rider weight , riding style, spring condition and pre-load lag are all factors.

With the stock spring I would keep mine at 25 all the time, but I prefer a firm ride and weight 300 pounds. With the heavier Progressive spring I usually leave it at about 16 when I'm riding alone. If I'm riding 2 up I set it about 20. When I'm riding hard on twisty roads I move it up to 25 so I don't scrape my as feet often.
Th

·
Premium Member
1,081 Posts
imported post

I suspect at this point you still have no idea where to set your suspension huh???:D

I weight 200 and my wife is around 160. With a full load and pulling a trailer we set it at 18 and have never bottomed out.

When riding 2 up on a day ride it's usually set at 10 and still have never bottomed out.

Riding solo I set it at 8 but not sure if I should even bother because I suspect the difference from 8 to 10 in minimal.

I hope this helps a little bit at least. :waving:

·
Registered
313 Posts
imported post

hi Wrongway, good to see you posting, I run my suspension at about 8 solo and 17 with 2 up. again never really noticed any bottoming. 25 just makes it easier to put the bike up on the center stand. john

·
Premium Member
1,081 Posts
imported post

johnboy wrote:
hi Wrongway, good to see you posting, I run my suspension at about 8 solo and 17 with 2 up. again never really noticed any bottoming. 25 just makes it easier to put the bike up on the center stand. john
Hi John:

Do you still hit deer at 25???????????? SORRY, couldn't resist!!!!:cooldevil::D

Hopefully we'll get our your way for a ride this spring. :waving:

·
Registered
313 Posts
imported post

DEER AHEAD< RAMMING SPEED

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

I like to take the time to thank everyone for all your advice. I beging to see the lite, now I understand alot better what I'm after, thank you ,one and all!!! Have alot to learn.

·
Disfunctional Nimatode
3,381 Posts
imported post

wrongway wrote:
johnboy wrote:
Hi John:

Do you still hit deer at 25???????????? SORRY, couldn't resist!!!!:cooldevil::D

Hopefully we'll get our your way for a ride this spring. :waving:

Man..... thats cold I tell ya. Got any jerky ready?:clapper:

·
Disfunctional Nimatode
3,381 Posts
imported post

Finaldrive wrote:
I like to take the time to thank everyone for all your advice. I beging to see the lite, now I understand alot better what I'm after, thank you ,one and all!!! Have alot to learn.
Go forth myfriend, and rip up asphalt like it was your own...........:action:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.