Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

thiers been a number of times Ive drove off and didnt rememeber to put the kickstand up on my 84,well this time it got me!!!!!goin left around a slight curve and all of a sudden the bike wentcockeyed hit a guard rail threw me off and kept on goin, luckily the cars behind me saw it comin and slowed down or it could of been bad, both me and the bike got a little scraped up but is fixable, what ever ya do rememeber to putthe stinkin kickstand up.........:shock:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
606 Posts
imported post

Glad to hear that you and your bike are not torn up too bad. That is one good thing to say about the safety switches that are on most models anymore, including my 99' 1500SE, that kill the engine when you put it in gear with the kickstand down.

Cobra

:15grey:
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

I hear yaand had no time to flip the kill switch!I was on the ground andthe bike was down the road!!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,401 Posts
imported post

No TW, Cobra was saying the 1500 has a "kick stand kill switch" that kills the motor if the stand is down and you put it into gear.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,259 Posts
imported post

In the early 80's I had a 76 gl1000. I rode to work with a friend who had a KZ900 and he rode it Hard!
We stopped at a rest area to set fire to some nicotine one day and as we left his k-stand did not get put up. The entrance back on to the free way had a slight "S" to it and when he started out, like a house on fire, as usual, his stand dug in. I never new a guy could bounce that many times out through the grass on his head and still survive. It took a month for his head and neck to get centered on his shoulders again! The safety switch on the kick stands is one of the best improvements made to improve the safety of bikes in my opinion.
 

·
Guru
Joined
·
3,074 Posts
imported post

I done that last summer ONCE! dam near touched cloth, if ya know what I mean! But I felt like a rookie & of course lots of people saw me panic but I kept it upright. Now I check all the time, twice.
 

·
Postpubescent member
Joined
·
36,382 Posts
imported post

twowheeler wrote:
both me and the bike got a little scraped up but is fixable, what ever ya do rememeber to putthe stinkin kickstand up.........:shock:
Sorry to hear you and your bike got scraped up. You did what you do to remember the kickstand in spades. You probably won't forget for a couple years now.:cooldevil:

I've done it twice with an 1100 but luckily it didn't take as big a bite out of the asphalt as yours did so I could ride it out. Not because of any skill on my part, just luck. But I haven't forgotten it.

On the other hand I just went through a spate of putting my 1500 in gear killing the engine because the stand was still down. That was embarrassing but the safety switch on the stand compensated for my CRS senior moment.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
644 Posts
imported post

Been there, done that too on my 84. However, I was pretty lucky in as much as I didn't go down. I was able to recover and get the stand up. Since then, I got an 89. I learned quickly about the kick stand safety switch. What a life saver! I'm not sure but I think that was the first year for that switch. I wonder if it could be retro-fitted onto earlier models? Hmmm....
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,276 Posts
imported post

Do you have that little rubber extension on the bottom of the stand? That is supposed to help kick it up. I didn't have one on, when I first got my 1200, but later did install one. It didn't completely stop the problem, but it did seem to minimize the situation, when I continued the practice. :cheeky1:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
428 Posts
imported post

I've bumped kick stands a couple of times, gets your attention. I try to develop a repeatable starter procedure that I use every time that involves putting the kick stand up.

The other thing that has caught me a couple of times is when starting the bike on a cold start and I know its going to need a couple of minutes to warm up and I'm in first gear. I release the clutch like its in neutral, yikes!

Chuck

Chuck
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,947 Posts
imported post

I've caught the stand a few times...But I have a good reason.

I normally use a Bates ride-off stand, and only rarely use the side stand.

More often than not, I'll start the bike, pull it up off the stand, be sitting waiting for everyone else I'm riding with to get ready, and forget which stand I had it on to begin with.

Mike
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
21,185 Posts
imported post

I got lightly caught out on SBinSC's 1100 once whilst we were with him a few weeks back, the kickstand jsut touched the ground to remind me and I was able to flick it up with my foot before anything went wrong. :shock::X



With all the talk of this happening, is there not some way that someone has found of doing a simple "disabling" or warning buzzer type of fix to help remind riders who have the older bikes without cut off. Surely someone has worked around this . :baffled::baffled:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
426 Posts
imported post

Man I'm glad you're ok..Anyonewho has ever ridden has probably done the exact same thing.. Glad that you're not hurt..
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,502 Posts
imported post

Silverfox wrote:
I got lightly caught out on SBinSC's 1100 once whilst we were with him a few weeks back, the kickstand jsut touched the ground to remind me and I was able to flick it up with my foot before anything went wrong. :shock::X



With all the talk of this happening, is there not some way that someone has found of doing a simple "disabling" or warning buzzer type of fix to help remind riders who have the older bikes without cut off. Surely someone has worked around this . :baffled::baffled:
It would be a simple task to rig up a micro switch in series with the existing kill switch on any older motorcycle that does not have the modern safety built into the design.
Just put the switch in series, make a small mounting bracket out of almost anything and that way the side stand would have to be in the up position or the bike would not even start.
That would be easy enough to do.

Kit
 

·
Token Canuk
Joined
·
8,236 Posts
imported post

Kit Carson wrote:
Silverfox wrote:
I got lightly caught out on SBinSC's 1100 once whilst we were with him a few weeks back, the kickstand jsut touched the ground to remind me and I was able to flick it up with my foot before anything went wrong. :shock::X



With all the talk of this happening, is there not some way that someone has found of doing a simple "disabling" or warning buzzer type of fix to help remind riders who have the older bikes without cut off. Surely someone has worked around this . :baffled::baffled:
It would be a simple task to rig up a micro switch in series with the existing kill switch on any older motorcycle that does not have the modern safety built into the design.
Just put the switch in series, make a small mounting bracket out of almost anything and that way the side stand would have to be in the up position or the bike would not even start.
That would be easy enough to do.

Kit
I put a warning lite on the dash of my 1200 by using a rear brake light S/W wired into a wire connected to the ACC. terminal. the S/w was mounted behind the kickstand, connected with a spring, when the stand was extended - the spring operated the S/W & turned the RED light on. Saved my butt several times. Cost minimal with $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ value. :waving:
 

·
Probationary
Joined
·
4,535 Posts
imported post

Since I've been riding for decades, I've developed the habit of kickstand 'down', only if dismounting. Then, the very 1st thing I do when mounting is kickstand 'up'. My wife knows to check side stand is up before climbing aboard...she NEVER forgets.

Stand stays up when I get gas....side stand for dismount only. Then mount up, key in, side stand up....then begin the thinking process.

Not as important with my 1500SE, but the habit is still handy when I ride my Honda Shadow.

Of course, this habit evolvedfrom a few near 'Pole Vaults' in my early riding days....& seeing others doing the same. Back then, after 'kick-starting', was to remember to turn on the Headlight.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
86 Posts
imported post

Popeye,

So you stay on your bike when putting gas in it?

Gasseous
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,847 Posts
imported post

glad you are okay, did it years ago on a suzuki gt250 but was on a long sweeping bend, it dug in, i tried to flick it up but could not and ended up braking hard and using a slip road, which incidently was the slip road for the crematorium. I was lucky.

Now on the 15s and 18s, you often see people put it in gear the engine cut off and someone shout side stand, its annoying but when you think about it really, its a great invention.

I too was thinking about a retro fit for bikes that dont have this system fitted, good winter project. Maybe someone with the various bike models that dont have a side stand switch and a good electrical knowledge of the bikes, ie colours for kill switch, tap in points and type of microswitch suitable, they could sus it out, this is a life saver.
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top