Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I just wanted to post this to inform anyone that is getting ready to travel to not let this happen to you. We just purchased a Mastercard prepaid travel card. The purpose was to pay at the pump and ride on. We got a $200 dollar card. Rode yesterday used it 3 times. Wife went to check to insure balance was correct. It is gone!! Called the # on card. With the new pumps at stations they charge for maximum pump delivery before the pump turns on. In our case 2 stations charged the card $75 to fill motorcycle. We will get credit back, but it will take 10 to 15 days. Person at the card center said a prepaid card should never be used at pump and to take card inside after fuel is pumped. We are a little unhappy with the fact it took our money instant but will be 2 weeks on refund. Live and learn I guess. Just hope someone else reads this before it happens to them.

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

thats why i dont own any credit cards

·
Just one of the guys
4,799 Posts
imported post

They will do that on a debit card against your checking account as well. They don't actually charge that amount to your card, but they do put a hold on your card for their max amount. The hold is normally released when the transaction completes, which can take a few days. It is possible to bounce a check when you think you have a balance enough to cover it.

That is why I do all my gas purchases with a regular credit card. It has a high enough limit to not get over loaded and I pay it off every month so I don't get hit with interest charges.

·
Premium Member
1,514 Posts
imported post

That would have been nice to figure out on the rode thinking that you had your fuel cost covered and don't. I have used the prepaid station cards before just to avoid going in or after hours fueling. Never had any problems with them but don't depend on them. Thank you for sharing that Ghost sorry they did that to ya.

·
Premium Member
814 Posts
imported post

That is a pain, especially when your out and about.

I've always wondered why it is that they take the funds in a mil a second but it takes days to get a credit. :whip:

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
imported post

That's strange. In '09 , I got a Visa Travel card (prepaid?) when I took a trip to the Grand Canyon. I didn't have any problems with it. I mainly used it for Gas & meals. Maybe procedures have changed.:?

·
Premium Member
910 Posts
imported post

In Missouri That is illegally and they can be prosecuted... call the State Prosecutter and ask Him... I found this when I used my Debit card at a station and lucklly I was across the street from my Bank and the teller told me about the gas station doing this Illegally...
Oil companys are making so much $$$$ and they still ripoff the public by doing this...

·
mr irrelevant
2,205 Posts
imported post

If you buy one of the wal mart pre paid visa's they still take the 75 immediately but also return it after u have completed your transaction, within minutes not days later...I have used of these cards for 3 yrs now, some places wont accept it at pump but can always go inside...

·
Old Broad
3,843 Posts
imported post

Here in B.C we have a law that you have to Prepay or pay @ pump before you can pump fuel.But we never have had that problem. When we P @ P, it ask fill to 100.00 & you answer yes but if your car or bike only takes 25 bucks, that is all you are charged for.:?:action::action::action::action::action::action:

·
Premium Member
1,317 Posts
imported post

grizly wrote:
In Missouri That is illegally and they can be prosecuted... call the State Prosecutter and ask Him... I found this when I used my Debit card at a station and lucklly I was across the street from my Bank and the teller told me about the gas station doing this Illegally...
Oil companys are making so much $$$$ and they still ripoff the public by doing this...
This isn't always the gas company. It is oftenthe bank's policies. I have two cards from different banks. One holds $75, the other $90 at the same gas station.

The $75 card always releases the hold within an hour or so. The other one is often 3 working days.

The solution is to get a gas company card and pay it off when the bill comes due. They don't hold anything and don't charge interest if you pay it off when the bill comes. Some of them also give a discount. I get a 3% discount on gas and 5% on anything in the store.

I once used it only on trips, but now buy all my gas on the card. Not only for the discounts, but also to track my expenses.

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
imported post

While traveling through Canada on my way to Michigan, I used a credit card to pay at the pump. It was charged $75 for two days, then was changed to the actual amount,apparently when the actual sale cleared. I don't know if it was the card company or the oil company, but it all worked out. I saved all of my receipts, though, just in case.

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
imported post

When relying on credit cards to travel, you should have multiple cards from different companies. I have on 2 different occasions had fraudulent charges on my card. Most likely tied to Internet purchases. Each time the fraud was noticed by my card issuer beforeIeven had received my bill. This was great service but what happens is that they immediately cancel your card and issue you a new one. If you are traveling and this happens, you are screwed. I always make sure that I have more than one card.

Always let your credit card company know when you travel or they may get suspicious of transactions far from home and have been known to put a hold order on your card. Not good when you're far from home.

Never use a debit card in an unfamiliarstore or on the internet. They can get all the money that is in the account and your bank will not do any thing to help you recover it. You will not get it back.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

I was once paid for a job with a prepaid American Express card. I had no choice, as I found out that was all the guy had, no money. It clearly said on the site NOT to use it at gas pumps, or anywhere else where the exact purchase amount will be unknown until AFTER the card is used. Unfortunately, that is common practice, and it should have said so on the paperwork that came with the card. With today's technology, I have no idea why it takes so long to put the money back on the card, it should take a few minutes at most.

I usually use a debit card at the gas pump, and it shows up on my online statement within minutes. I maintain several thousand $$$ in my checking account (why not, you don't get any interest from a savings account) so I am in no danger of running low. I use a credit card to buy bigger more expensive stuff, because if it breaks and they refuse to honor the warranty, you have options. A debit card is the same as cash, and comes out of your account at the time of the transaction. If what you bought turns out to be junk, or you never get what you ordered, a credit card can give you some degree of protection. I also have another credit card specifically for Chevron/Texaco, in the event the other cards don't work. I have had bad experiences trying to buy gas with a credit card 7-8 times a day, from 2-3 different states, they thing the card is stolen, and turn it off. Chevron/Texaco assured me that wouldn't happen with their card.

·
Premium Member
1,317 Posts
imported post

JerryH wrote:
...Chevron/Texaco assured me that wouldn't happen with their card.
Now we know which one to grab:badgrin:

Seriously, we just call the 800 number on the card when we plan a trip. If I tell them I'm going to Atlanta, I don't get any surprises along the route.

We once had Visa block our dessert.:shock: We were in a restaurant in Davenport, Ia. After our meal, I paid the check and we got up to leave. As we were approaching the door, a waitress came walking by with a wonderful smelling apple pie.

We decided we still had room for dessert, sat down and spent another thirty minutes or so. I went to pay and the card was declined!

Seems a computer flagged it because we made two purchases in the same restaurant 40 minutes apart. When I called, they immediately released it. The girl says it would look like I lostthe card and another person picked it up and tried to use it.

Inconvenient, but kind of reassuring to know they watch that close.

·
Premium Member
1,317 Posts
imported post

JerryH wrote:

Seriously, we just call the 800 number on the card when we plan a trip. If I tell them I'm going to Atlanta, I don't get any surprises along the route.

We once had Visa block our dessert.:shock: We were in a restaurant in Davenport, Ia. After our meal, I paid the check and we got up to leave. As we were approaching the door, a waitress came walking by with a wonderful smelling apple pie.

We decided we still had room for dessert, sat down and spent another thirty minutes or so. I went to pay and the card was declined!

Seems a computer flagged it because we made two purchases in the same restaurant 40 minutes apart. When I called, they immediately released it. The girl says it would look like I lostthe card and another person picked it up and tried to use it.

·
Premium Member
1,317 Posts
imported post

JerryH wrote:

·
Premium Member
1,136 Posts
imported post

I always find it a nightmare paying for gas in the US. It is much simpler here. If I pay at the pump in the US it asks for my zip code but won't accept Canadian ones. Then I have to go inside, prepay with the cashier, fill up and then go back inside and get the extra amount refunded. So I just carry enough cash for gas.

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

Talked to a lady at a gas station this morning. She told me they have the same problem. I happens on the weekend. The bank systems are shut down. She told me that normally by 8 am monday it credits and straightens itself out. I just did a balance check and at 8 this morning I got my credits back. I still don't like the system. but I did get my money back.

·
Premium Member
10,253 Posts
imported post

A friend of mine gave me a $100.00 pre-paid Visa, "Gift Card", for my birthday a couple years back.....I never thought about using it till one day seen something I wanted....When I tried to use it, they said it was "No Good" appears that every month the credit card company deducted a "fee" and over that one year period, the fees had taken that whole $100.00.....What was so bad, was I had gotten not one but four cards from family and friends that year, all of them wasted, in processing fees...The other cards were from $20.00 to $50.00.....Now if I get one I use it with in a day or two later....

I had a Texaco card for over 20 years, Shell bought them out, had mega problems, had to be "bailed out" so they checked credit ratings again???? We were only late twice in over 20 years, but Shell decided I was a risk, so they canceled my card...Guess what??? Three months later Shell made me an offer????...Give them my Credit Union account number and they would issue me a "Shell Card" through my credit union?????...Now just where and who do they think I buy my gas, groceries through now????....I buy gas with my Credit Union Visa card, its for that amount and nothing more....

We used to buy Travelers Checks to have along with cash, and credit cards to travel with.... Now no one will even take a Travelers Check because of the counterfeit ones out there....Its a shame that a few unscrupulous people can ruin it for everyone...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.