Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As subject says. Lots of oil coming from dust seal area, not holding air for longer than couple hours, front and back bottoming out, etc...
There has been a great amount of incredible info from Google to this forum about fork rebuilds which are VERY educational for anyone with mechanical skills so there is only a few things I would like to ask pertaining to shopping for certain parts. Just going to pick up Progressive 416 assemblies for the rear.

I have found fork seals at many places, but want to know which brands are better quality?

Are folks ordering slider bushings from Honda or elsewhere? I have not been very successful at finding them online.

The consensus seems to be use 15wt fork oil with Progressive springs, is that correct?

Thanks,
Chris

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Hi Chris and welcome to the forum. I would get OEM seals if I could, as for the bushings, you will probably have to get them where you can find them. They are not as critical on tolerance as the seals are. The weight of the oil is a matter of personal taste. I currently have 20 in my 1100.
Be sure to clean the fork uppers good and inspect for scratches and gouges that will damage the new seals.

·
Administrator
27,933 Posts
FYI the Parts Unlimited brand seals are the same seals you get from Honda (Honda does not make seals, or a lot of other soft parts, they buy them). The bushings as far as I know are only available from Honda.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Chris and welcome to the forum. I would get OEM seals if I could, as for the bushings, you will probably have to get them where you can find them. They are not as critical on tolerance as the seals are. The weight of the oil is a matter of personal taste. I currently have 20 in my 1100.
Be sure to clean the fork uppers good and inspect for scratches and gouges that will damage the new seals.
Thanks for the Welcome Jack,
Honda dealer told me the seals are discontinued and they can not order them. They do have the bushings that I will just go ahead and grab. Thanks for the tips on the fork uppers.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
FYI the Parts Unlimited brand seals are the same seals you get from Honda (Honda does not make seals, or a lot of other soft parts, they buy them). The bushings as far as I know are only available from Honda.
Thanks,
I will look for Parts Unlimited. I saw you post on another thread explaining about a small 3rd spring in the forks of an 83 GL1100. Does this "3rd spring" stay installed when changing to Progressive springs?

·
Administrator
27,933 Posts
Thanks,
I will look for Parts Unlimited. I saw you post on another thread explaining about a small 3rd spring in the forks of an 83 GL1100. Does this "3rd spring" stay installed when changing to Progressive springs?
Yes, it is the rebound spring under the oil piston, leave it in there.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Will i need a progressive adapter line kit and limiters for the Progressive rear shock assembly for the GL1100?
You will need the line adapter kit to hook up your on board compressor. If you don't want to use it, you can ground the sensor wire to make the warning light go out and air them up through a schrader valve like the Interstates do.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks again Jack,
I ordered the kit.

You will need the line adapter kit to hook up your on board compressor. If you don't want to use it, you can ground the sensor wire to make the warning light go out and air them up through a schrader valve like the Interstates do.

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
You may want to consider installing a set of "Seal Savers" on the forks before putting the forks back on the bike. I have used the Seal Savers for years on dirtbikes and opted to try them on my 1200 after finding rock damage to the uppers. They offer exceptional protection from gravel and bugs...which can dry on the uppers and get dragged underneath the seal. I like to use the Short Seal Savers without velcro. I'll send a picture if you wish. Good luck with your rebuild. http://www.sealsavers.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=3

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you for all your help. New bushings, seals, and 10w fork oil. The fork rebuild with rogressive springs and new progressive shocks make the bike ride and steers great in corners! A little tight with no passenger, but no more bouncing front end. They barely had 5 ounces of oil when I disassembled. Gets real tight if I add any air.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.