Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone been around Prescot AZ. ? I am thinking of camping there in a free camping area and pan for gold a bit at another area, maybe.

I'm going to be riding to CA. and could pass through there without much of a detour, if any, it may actually be in route if I just change the planed route.

It's something I'd like to do on the way home. However I will be pulling a mostly empty 4x7 trailer on way out and on way back I expect it to be rather heavily loaded. Most likely I'll try to avoid small roads in mountains since I'll have the trailer. I loved some of those roads last year coming home with the 1500, but I was on some roads I probably do not want to take this trailer on also LOL

Anyone know the Prescot AZ area? Should I worry much about the trailer if I take the 1500 through there?

Coming home last year I did ride close but I do not remember what that actual area was like for mountains and I was on I17 near there not the side roads.
I had taken 60 to Wickenburg then down to 74 and over to I17 up to Flagstaff.
I remember it was a great night time ride as I had left Oceanside CA. later in the day and rode till morning to the meteor crater off I 40 where I took a nap at a gas station.

Looking at google, the roads into Prescott from I17 south of Flagstaff does not look bad.
Looks like a petty hairy road going South out of Prescott though on I think 89 to Wilhoit, AZ and maybe a spot south of there also, otherwise looking at google it does not look too bad.

Any one know the area?

http://goo.gl/maps/e6uI6

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
Been a long time, but Strawberry was nice.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
Very familiar with the city of Prescott, but not so much the surrounding area. Been camping up there years ago with relatives, had to have a four wheel drive to get where we went. But I'm sure there are more accessible places. Prescott tends to be really warm in the summer. Just a little farther east, around Payson, Pine, Strawberry, and the Forest Lakes area is a LOT cooler. There are plenty of free campsites in the Forest Lakes area, just east of Payson, I have gone motorcycle camping up there before, but on a KLR650. No place to pan for Gold though. They still do that around Prescott, but never find any.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Chromo,

I tweaked your route slightly, to add some scenery and avoid the interstate. This is a nice route... curvey in Jerome with some hills, but not a big deal with a trailer, especially if you're passing through it and not (instead) trying to find parking on the hilly streets.

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Flagstaff,+AZ&daddr=34.7705518,-111.9364758+to:34.6790646,-112.1733309+to:prescott,+AZ+to:34.0920839,-115.4042932+to:I-10+W&hl=en&ll=34.229971,-114.34021&spn=2.988239,7.635498&sll=33.99575,-114.933472&sspn=1.498331,3.817749&geocode=FUghGQIdL4VY-SkxJi7a944thzEAs9vOoTwfjg%3BFXeOEgIdJfxT-SnVO0rC3AgthzHdNKAfTEgA1A%3BFRgpEQId7l5Q-SknlzSTwxkthzGkYnMNTBsQIA%3BFfgJDwId6t1L-SnrfHEA1CgthzHd_u5S5z2kCQ%3BFTM0CAId-xEf-SljKJIK0m7QgDFtchERPXQ12A%3BFWCYBQIdM1oM-Q&mra=dpe&mrsp=4&sz=9&via=1,2,4&t=m&z=8

Hwy-62 across the desert is much more enjoyable than I-10 (or I-40 for that matter), because no traffic and better road surface too. Take plenty of water, and avoid mid-day travel due to high temperatures. This is my standard get-out-of-Dodge-route, for eastward trips.... usually crossing the desert at midnight.

If you post your Entire route, then could advise on other areas too.

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks.

Rest of route pretty much just starting out near Thayer, MO and catch I40 somewhere or follow along side it. Probably be stopping off near Albuquerque, NM area on the way.

No real plans yet other than that. I have a tendency to make plans as I get there and based on how I feel like riding at the time LOL

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No gold around Prescott? Bummer, I was hoping to strike it rich LOL
Actually I thought it might be fun for a few days on way home to give it a try if I go through there. Not really expecting to find any though.

I lost my links long ago and can't find where now, but somewhere out west on the way was a place with free camping up the road and can pan for free and people do find a little gold at times, can't find it now. I think it was in AZ off I40 a little ways.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts

·
Premium Member
653 Posts
Chromo,

I tweaked your route slightly, to add some scenery and avoid the interstate. This is a nice route... curvey in Jerome with some hills, but not a big deal with a trailer, especially if you're passing through it and not (instead) trying to find parking on the hilly streets.

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Flagstaff,+AZ&daddr=34.7705518,-111.9364758+to:34.6790646,-112.1733309+to:prescott,+AZ+to:34.0920839,-115.4042932+to:I-10+W&hl=en&ll=34.229971,-114.34021&spn=2.988239,7.635498&sll=33.99575,-114.933472&sspn=1.498331,3.817749&geocode=FUghGQIdL4VY-SkxJi7a944thzEAs9vOoTwfjg%3BFXeOEgIdJfxT-SnVO0rC3AgthzHdNKAfTEgA1A%3BFRgpEQId7l5Q-SknlzSTwxkthzGkYnMNTBsQIA%3BFfgJDwId6t1L-SnrfHEA1CgthzHd_u5S5z2kCQ%3BFTM0CAId-xEf-SljKJIK0m7QgDFtchERPXQ12A%3BFWCYBQIdM1oM-Q&mra=dpe&mrsp=4&sz=9&via=1,2,4&t=m&z=8

Hwy-62 across the desert is much more enjoyable than I-10 (or I-40 for that matter), because no traffic and better road surface too. Take plenty of water, and avoid mid-day travel due to high temperatures. This is my standard get-out-of-Dodge-route, for eastward trips.... usually crossing the desert at midnight.

If you post your Entire route, then could advise on other areas too.
Based on the OP's posted concerns re: trailering heavily loaded in the mtn. twisties, I would not recommend the route up to Prescott, then on to Flagstaff that you've posted. I live on that route and ride it regularly. I would not tow a heavily loaded trailer with a m/cycle on that route.

There is an alternate route from Yarnell to Prescott, via Skull Valley, that normally would be a better route for a m/cycle towing heavily loaded trailer, however it is under construction, and for ~ 12 miles, the road surface is poorly graded gravel, with large embedded rocks in the dirt. I won't even take my truck over it, until the re-paving project is complete, which is scheduled to be complete late Sept / early Oct.

Additionally, the route shown going from Prescott, thru Jerome on 89, then down to Cottonwood, and onwards on 89A to Flagstaff is not in keeping with the OP's stated concerns. The road from Prescott to Jerome, up and over Mingus Mtn. is tight and twisty mtn two-lane, with the hill going down from Jerome, long and steep.

The road from Cottonwood to Sedona is ok, but once through Sedona, the road through Oak Creek Canyon and up the hill into Flag is narrow & winding, with a steep twisty climb up the rim of the "boxed" northern end of Oak Creek Canyon, before becoming a beautiful and easy ride into Flagstaff.

I would have no major concerns with an empty or lightly loaded trailer for these routes, but would not recommend doing so with a heavily loaded trailer.

Just my $0.02 & humble opinion.;)

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Based on the OP's posted concerns re: trailering heavily loaded in the mtn. twisties, I would not recommend the route up to Prescott, then on to Flagstaff that you've posted. I live on that route and ride it regularly. I would not tow a heavily loaded trailer with a m/cycle on that route.

There is an alternate route from Yarnell to Prescott, via Skull Valley, that normally would be a better route for a m/cycle towing heavily loaded trailer, however it is under construction, and for ~ 12 miles, the road surface is poorly graded gravel, with large embedded rocks in the dirt. I won't even take my truck over it, until the re-paving project is complete, which is scheduled to be complete late Sept / early Oct.

Additionally, the route shown going from Prescott, thru Jerome on 89, then down to Cottonwood, and onwards on 89A to Flagstaff is not in keeping with the OP's stated concerns. The road from Prescott to Jerome, up and over Mingus Mtn. is tight and twisty mtn two-lane, with the hill going down from Jerome, long and steep.

The road from Cottonwood to Sedona is ok, but once through Sedona, the road through Oak Creek Canyon and up the hill into Flag is narrow & winding, with a steep twisty climb up the rim of the "boxed" northern end of Oak Creek Canyon, before becoming a beautiful and easy ride into Flagstaff.

I would have no major concerns with an empty or lightly loaded trailer for these routes, but would not recommend doing so with a heavily loaded trailer.

Just my $0.02 & humble opinion.;)
Thanks!
I will look that over much more before I try to ride it.
I came through Wickenburg last year but dropped down south on 60 to 74 and over to I17 I think then up to Flagstaff. Was a nice night time ride and got cold early morning about time I got to Flagstaff.
I remember some mountains up that way but being on I17 they did not seem bad.
I hate gas stations with an open sign when they are actually closed!
I had plenty of gas but wanted to go inside and warm up and find a snack to eat etc.. and put on some warmer gear. OPEN means the pumps take a credit card I guess because the store was closed up tight and no-one around anywhere! :lash:
Nothing was OPEN, just the pumps were turned on! But that big bold sign in the store window could be seen to the off ramp saying OPEN!

Well I stood out by the pumps and changed into the warmer gear, ate my cheese and crackers etc.. I had with me, huddled over the warm engine a bit, then after about 20-30 minutes back on the road again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.