Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Preventing Flag Fray?

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Solo So Long 
#1 ·
I have been flying the American Flag on my beast for a few years now but have not figured how to prevent the flag from getting frayed after a few months of riding. No matter how sturdy the stitching looks when new, they invariably break down and the end gets frayed and "ugly".

I've been using the 12" X 18" flag mostly and before putting on this new one, I found a clear compound called "Fray-Check" that I plan to coat on the end of the flag. I also stashed some "Clear" Gorilla glue in my bag just in case the Fray-check begins breaking down sooner that I would like.

DOES ANYONE HAVE A FOOL PROOF METHOD TO PREVENT FLAGS FROM GETTING FRAYED AT THE END?

#3 ·
It's an 18" X 12" flag by a company in Bend Oregon called "In the Breeze" and it has a double stitch on the end with about 3/8" folded back for the double stitch.

I put a generous coating of the "Fray-check" (front & back) and once that dried, I put a generous coating of clear Gorilla Glue (front & back). I covered the end 3/8"+ a bit for good measure. Hopefully this will give a better result. The clear products didn't discolor much and won't be noticeable on the highway as it waves.

#6 ·
Tamathumper- I'm satisfied with the finished/dried results of the Fray-check with some clear Gorilla Glue over the top and I'll let you know how it holds up after a few months of "wear-and-tear".

RambozoClown- The Lexan sheets have some merit, ,and I'll think about it more. My major concern though is that I can only use the AM-FM antennae and its 1/4" dia. so it will not survive much weight or "bending". I would hate to have it "snap" in two or cause so much strain on the mounting bolts that the antennae mount breaks the tupper-ware it bolts up to.

#7 ·
While it's true the weight would be a bit higher, I think it would be more than offset by the reduced aerodynamic drag compared to a flapping flag. Just hold one going down the road and feel how much pull there is on it. A quick back of the napkin says the pull at 70mph would be around 8 pounds. Here is a paper on the subject.

#8 ·
Search Amazon for car window flags. They make a flag to withstand wind and weather. Made of heavy nylon. I have one that I have been flying on my trailer for years.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.