Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there anyway or a source to locate a previous owner of a motorcycle you have bought? I bought a 99 GL1500SE with an Illinois title. When I got my new title (Arkansas) from the bank, after a small loan was paid off, it came back as "REBUILT." (I didn't do a search before I bought it and was told the bank did.) The bank had no explanation, other than "if their search had shown REBUILT, they would not of made the loan." Anyway...the Arkansas DMV said the Illinois title "transferred as REBUILT," however upon contacting the Illinois DMV, they told me "The title was a clean." The person I talked to did do a title search and said "the bike was titled REBUILT in Kentucky in 2004 and the seller (to the Illinois buyer), somehow had the title "washed" which by all definitions is illegal (fraud). I have had every piece of plastic off of the bike, (changing belts, servicing the drive shaft and differential) there is no... none...evidence of any type of damage. I contacted the Kentucky DMV and was told "they don't have a copy of the title," I didn't ask for a copy, just clarification of the status of the title. I sent them another post to clarify that. Waiting for a response. Going back to my question, there must be a way to find a previous owner. Could this all be the result of a clerical error? I've known about this for some time now and at that time I didn't have any desire to part with the bike. It is a really nice motorcycle, but life is starting to take a little turn and I may have to put it up for sale. No doubt the title will be an issue as in how much it is worth. Any suggestions or information would be appreciated.
Norm

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
There are insurance databases for cars, I would guess they exist for bikes, too. That might help you figure out the bike's history. Because of all the expensive plastics, I would imagine it's easy to get a claim that is beyond economical repair, so a salvage or rebuilt title is the outcome for a DIY repair.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
2003 Red Goldwing 1800
160 Posts
I bought a R title which in Pa means was totaled and rebuilt, if you check my signature that is the bike it had a slow speed tip over and the insurance company totaled it after the estimate reached 14,000. Nothing has been repaired on the bike and it has been nothing but flawless. The estimate which I saw was a joke, they wanted to replace all the plastics due to a color mismatch with the right front fairing which was scratched. Painted the scratch which you could not even see and then rode it like I stole it.😉 Don't worry if the bike rides and looks fine just ride it, it was possible that any damage had been repaired years ago.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I ran the number through American VIN check also. got two different outcomes...one had no damage history and one said "rebuildable" and valued the bike at $5800.00.
Well, I guess if I do decide to sell the bike, I can produce all of this paperwork and let a potential buyer know everything I know about it. Bottom line...I'm darn sure not going to give it away. It is a real nice 1500, draws compliments everywhere I go.
Thanks for all the help.
Norm

·
Registered
1993 GL1500 Aspy 1980 GL1100 STD
1,000 Posts
Register it in South Dakota.

·
Premium Member
1,319 Posts
This doesn't help you now, but in the future, scan the title to your computer before you send it in. Likewise, I always record the name and address of my buyer when I sell. Got burned selling a 1965 Suburban to a guy who never transferred it out of my name, then proceeded to collect parking tickets.

Reactions: circlepilot_3687

·
Premium Member
157 Posts
This doesn't help you now, but in the future, scan the title to your computer before you send it in. Likewise, I always record the name and address of my buyer when I sell. Got burned selling a 1965 Suburban to a guy who never transferred it out of my name, then proceeded to collect parking tickets.
Same thing happened to me on a 1974 Monte Carlo, except it was a tag that never got transferred over. At the time, in Alabama, the tag stayed with the car and the new owner was responsible for transferring the tag to their name. Police officer called one night about 9 months later and asked had the car been stolen, that he had it pulled over and the drivers name didn’t match the registered name on the tag. From that day on I have the new owner sign under witness that they were immediately responsible for any accidents or violations from that date forward.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Is there anyway or a source to locate a previous owner of a motorcycle you have bought? I bought a 99 GL1500SE with an Illinois title. When I got my new title (Arkansas) from the bank, after a small loan was paid off, it came back as "REBUILT." (I didn't do a search before I bought it and was told the bank did.) The bank had no explanation, other than "if their search had shown REBUILT, they would not of made the loan." Anyway...the Arkansas DMV said the Illinois title "transferred as REBUILT," however upon contacting the Illinois DMV, they told me "The title was a clean." The person I talked to did do a title search and said "the bike was titled REBUILT in Kentucky in 2004 and the seller (to the Illinois buyer), somehow had the title "washed" which by all definitions is illegal (fraud). I have had every piece of plastic off of the bike, (changing belts, servicing the drive shaft and differential) there is no... none...evidence of any type of damage. I contacted the Kentucky DMV and was told "they don't have a copy of the title," I didn't ask for a copy, just clarification of the status of the title. I sent them another post to clarify that. Waiting for a response. Going back to my question, there must be a way to find a previous owner. Could this all be the result of a clerical error? I've known about this for some time now and at that time I didn't have any desire to part with the bike. It is a really nice motorcycle, but life is starting to take a little turn and I may have to put it up for sale. No doubt the title will be an issue as in how much it is worth. Any suggestions or information would be appreciated.
Norm
Run the vin number.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts