Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello All,

First off, I am new here and from what I have seen so far, this looks like a great place to be.

Here is a question I have for someone/everyone about my wing. It is a 97 1500SE with 23,000 miles on it. It has a salvaged title because the previous owner (My friend) hit it with his combine and whipped out the left side. In Iowa, any damage over $5000 is a scraped bike. So my question is, what is this worth? Is it worth anything or should I just drive it until it dies?

Thanks All,

Corey

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

kinda hard to say without some pics to see the damage . still---- i`ll bet you its worth more than you gave for it .

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
imported post

From what I've heard about that bike, you'll be riding for years and years to come. That bike, with full repairs is like new. If you decide to sell it, you should get about what you paid for it. Unless you plan on upgrading to a 1800, it is well worth keeping. Just my two cents.

Roryrob

·
Premium Member
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thanks for the response. I did drive the 1800's. The way my right wrist is, I think I could get in trouble with the 1800.
Think I am going to keep it. After all, it is paid for!!!

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

I think you should get the 1800 - here in California.

Ride out here on your 1500. Drop the 1500 off with me. I'll give you $1,000 for it - then go buy a new 1800 and ride home!!

:action:

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
imported post

Keep it and ride the living hell out of it.

BTW,,,,,,,,,, you may want to consider changing out the timing belts if it hasn't been done already.

Enjoy

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Cobenson, you bike is pretty much worth what any '97 with low mileage would be worth, the salvage title really doesn't drop the price much if the repairs are done properly and not evident to the eye. I've got a '93 with 126,000 miles on it and plan on riding as long as I can handle it. Right now I'm 66 and hoping to get another 100,000 out of her before I get too feeble. I look at 1800s but just can't convince myself they're worth $10,000 more than my bike, not to mention those ugly headlights on the 1800s.:cooldevil:

·
Premium Member
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Thanks for all the responses guys. It was 71 degrees in Iowa yesterday and the bike wouldn't start. Boo Hoo Hoo for me. Talk about turning a good day into bad. I am with ya exavid, I just can't justify the price of an 1800. Well, I guess I can't convince the wife of the price of the 1800.

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

Salvage title in CA will reduce the resale value some, but not very much, but it does limit the number of buyers. Buyers "in-the-know" will not run away, but will be expecting a discount. The rest will be scared away at any price short of giving it away.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

My first 'Wing was on a salvage title and I paid pretty much market price for any '86 1200 even though it needed some work. I sold it to buy my 1500 a couple years later and got a good price and the second person to look at it bought it.

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
imported post

Around here the 1500s have been going for $2500 to $6000, depending on all sorts of things including mileage, upkeep and state of title. There are two at a local bike shop that have under 70k and are listed at $3200 and $4200

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.