Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Took my bike for a shoty trip to get a hair cut this afternoon. I had to wait 30 minutes to get in, so I just went outside and stood on the sidewalk and had a pop (soda, coke, etc). A young man pulled up next to my bike. I was at least 3 parking spots away from him and on the sidewalk, just standing there. He exited his car, stopped and looked at my bike, and under his breath siad, "Nice f'n bike." My guess is that he was maybe mid twenties. Nobody was with him.Sometimes I just think of the wing as a machine. I tend to forget how beutiful they really are.

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
imported post

Yep, I love my wing. Most bikes are beautiful, but there's just something about a goldwing that draws me in.

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
imported post

I went to my first bikers event in Plymouth, MI today- had to be around 2000+ bikes, most of them HD's. I was parking mine when someone driving by in their car screamed at me 'Hey that's not a Harley!' 'Yeah, thank goodness' I thought to myself with a grin. Proud to be an old wing owner!

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

I like your bike and your forum name moose!

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
imported post

I'll bet I get at least one compliment a day. Nobody believes me when I tell them my 1100 Interstate is 30 years old!

·
Premium Member
814 Posts
imported post

Just something about a wing. Had 2 guys yesterday come up and to tell me what a nice bike I had. got to love it:action::action:

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

I to hear people make comments as they near my wing, but the best comments are the ones I can't hear, I can only see that car come up behind me on the highway, then they stay right beside me for as long as they can before passing. When they do, faces are pressed up against the windows ....... Love it!

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts
imported post

I get lots of complements on mine as well, but my favorite one was from NaturalyGW's sister. He has a large family and always referred to thisone as his favorite sister, until we visited her together.He and I both ride 2000 GL1500SE's, his is white. He introduced me and said, "John's bike is just like mine", to which she quicklyreplied, "only prettier". He calls her his ex favorite sister now. :ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

John

·
Premium Member
1,317 Posts
imported post

I was in town Friday and had a Harley rider ask me how I could get away with a Collector plate on my GL1200. I told him it was 27 years old and he was shocked. He then said something about seeing me on the new red bike with the sidecar. He wouldn't believe me when I said it would be eligible in 7 years.
Then he asked me to guess how old his bike was. I think he was disappointed when I guessed correctly. The 100th anniversary emblem gave it away. :)

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,155 Posts
imported post

That 100th anniversary emblem on that HD would have been meaningless to me, for that matter, it still is.

·
Premium Member
195 Posts
imported post

It still amazes me how much of the riding population doesn't recognize the older wings.Espscialy the naked ones like my 83 1100. It's either mistaken for a bmw, or they just don't know.

·
Premium Member
3,785 Posts
imported post

Jluvs2dive wrote:
He calls her his ex favorite sister now. :ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

Now that's priceless... :gunhead:

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
imported post

We have a 1981 and a 1983 GL1100 Interstate. We get comments about them all the time. We love the lines of hte older bikes. In fact, we wrote an article about the classic wings and the fact that they don't draw the respect they should. It will be in the upcoming issue of Wing World, but if you want me to, I'll be happy to post it.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

Well I live in an HD world as most of you guy and girls do. There are 2 kinda bikes up here HD'S and croch rockets. that's about it. I almost any group ride you may see 1 out of 20 bikes beening a goldwing on a good day.
oout of my 3 bikes the 79 that started out as a standard and i painted it all black and added interstse bags to the back and a vetter to the front draws the most attention. peaple will roll down there windows at a red light and ask about the bike. some know its an old wing and ask about it wondering what yr it is and others have no clue but just wonder what the heck kinda bike it is.
I have no problem with peaple who don't have a clue what kinda bike it is but i like that they find it interesting.
i realy don't think non bike peaple could tell the diffrence between my 1500 and a harley cruser
Wilf

·
Premium Member
1,317 Posts
imported post

AZgl1500 wrote:
That 100th anniversary emblem on that HD would have been meaningless to me, for that matter, it still is.
I live in Wisconsin.:cheesygrin: The 100th anniversary fiasco was August of 2003.

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts
imported post

Rebel Girl wrote:
In fact, we wrote an article about the classic wings and the fact that they don't draw the respect they should. It will be in the upcoming issue of Wing World, but if you want me to, I'll be happy to post it.
Yes, please post it! :cheesygrin: I'm not a member of GWRRA anymore so I won't see it otherwise and I'd like to read it. :waving:

John

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Harleys have become so ubiquitous that many peoplethink all bikes are Harleys. Kinda like all small planes used to be called Piper Cubs and Eskimos used to call all snowmobiles Skidoos as in, "I got an Artic Cat Skiddo."

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
imported post

[align=center]Here's the article.[/align]
[align=center][/align]
[align=center][/align]
[align=center][/align]
[align=center]PRIDE & PREJUDICE[/align]
[align=center]WHERE HAVE ALL THE GOLD WINGS GONE?[/align]
[align=center]By: Pat & James Stebbins, Chapter G[/align]
[align=center]Charleston, South Carolina[/align]
[align=center][/align]
[align=center][/align]
The answer to this question is nowhere. They are still here. Since the inception of the 1975 Gold Wing to today’s newest the 2012 GL1800 Gold Wing, they still own the road.

We are the proud owners of two GL1100 Gold wings, one is a 1981 and the other is a 1983. The typical response from our Gold Wing friends is always “but they’re so old.” Yes, they are, but they do everything a Gold Wing was designed to do; the ability to ride the roads in total comfort and with complete confidence. Owning a classic Gold Wing is a privilege. Although it might be difficult at times to find parts, you will find them; you just have to take a little time and find the resources to do just that.

We attended Wing Ding 33 in Knoxville, Tennessee this year and saw some of the most amazing Classic Gold Wings we had ever seen. We stayed at a campground not too far from the host site and this campground was covered in Gold Wings, old and new. One of the friends we met entered his 1977 Goldwing in the bike competition, which is featured in the October issue of Wing World, and took second place to yet another classic Goldwing. The competition rendered some beautiful classic bikes, some brought back to their original state, so, yes, the parts are out there.

We were also fortunate enough to attend the Classic Gold Wing seminar the last day we were there and met so made so many Goldwing friends who also share our passion for the Classic Goldwing. It was refreshing to not here the typical remarks we generally hear: “wow, that’s old,” “will that bike keep up on the interstates,” and my favorite “when are you going to buy an 1800.”

Although we enjoy membership in GWRRA, those comments can be very insulting and demeaning. I think it’s about time that all members realize not everyone has the same taste in bikes. If they did, there wouldn’t be so many manufacturers out there with so many different models. Can’t we all just get along?

Seriously, the Classic Gold Wing represents where we came from, how far we’ve come, and when we need to go back in order to make improvements. We need to respect each other’s taste in what we choose to ride and just enjoy the ride no matter what year or model Goldwing we own. After all, we ALL love Gold Wings.

·
Premium Member
2,445 Posts
imported post

:claps::claps::claps:Rebel Girl!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.