Neato!

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,910 Posts
imported post

That truly is awesome...but on the downside, there goes ANOTHER big bunch of JOBS!! If there is an upside, it might be that China won't be GETTING those lost jobs! :claps: ;)

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Saw this in one of the Jurassic Park movies, cool!

·
Premium Member
5,377 Posts
imported post

How much for a battery cover? :action:

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
imported post

I wonder what the possibilities are with sugar & spice powder :shock: ...

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
imported post

I am an out of work newspaper printer and thought printing was dead.

Although this is barely recognizable as print, it is still cool to see some kind of reincarnation of the printing trade.
Someone mentioned that another bunch of jobs would be lost to this technology. That may be sad and true, but maybe it also can replace some of the print media jobs already lost. People need to design, manufacture and set up these "printers" as well as operate and maintain them. And don't forget the supplies and consumables needed to support it.

I don't know, we'll see where it goes.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Think of the period between 1900-1920. Horses nearlydisappeared. Livery stables, farriers, wagon makers, leather tack makers, thousands of jobs related to the use of horses disappeared during those two decades. Before 1900 every thing was either pulled by a steam locomotive or a horse. After 1920 the internal combustion engine was king. It's happened before, it happened in 1960-1980 with computers, the decade following it happened again with the internet. All those changes resulted in many lost jobs but also caused new types of employment to appear. How many IT system engineers were there in 1970? How many now? Not too many people making console radios or typewriters either but new jobs do appear. It makes for some social upheaval but every one of these paradigm shifts have improved the lives of most people in the developed world. I sincerely hope these changes never stop.

·
Administrator
58,171 Posts
imported post

Our snail mail service is going through some really though times right now.

Somehow, they have to transition into a different kind of structure. We still need paper shuffled through the mail, but even in the legal world, fax/email is beginning to be accepted as "an original document" with certified digital signatures.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

If it weren't forfourth class mail the USPS would be out of business. They should require a garbage can beside every mail box.

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
imported post

"THAT" is really cool technology....just think what the 2015 - 2020 Goldwing may be made of. :?

....'AND' possibly 70+ miles per gallon.....woof !!! :claps:

·
Premium Member
5,377 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
If it weren't forfourth class mail the USPS would be out of business. They should require a garbage can beside every mail box.
Ditto Canada Post and we do have garbage cans beside our community mail boxes.

If I couldbuild a furnace that ran on pizzacoupons I could cut my heating bill in half.

·
Premium Member
10,253 Posts
imported post

After reading Exavids post there are a lot of things that changed in my life time, so at the time I felt were bad, others I embraced....This one is something I can live with, but as we all know that technology is not cheap, that crescent wrench, if manufactured for the public would costs thousands of dollars...OK with that said in one of the chemical plants I worked in we made a powdered plastic, which I feel might be their "Mystery Powder"...It could only be extruded once, into sheets, cylinders, what ever....From that it had to be machined...This powder once extruded and made into sheets, it was used to line the many chutes that are used in mining operations, had a wear factor stronger than steel, so chutes that were having to be replaced, in say 2 months with this lining could last over a year...

Our company took some to the Everglades to line the bottom of air boats used there by the National Park service...Cypress stumps could puncture the bottom of these aluminum boats in a heart beat...Once lined with this plastic, if they hit a stump, it just made a dent, in the bottom of that boat....Take a hammer beat it back in place keep going....Then in one application they found this plastic could be used in the human body to make hip joints, and even replace bones from badly mashed fingers...Take scans of uninjured hand, duplicate those bones out of that plastic..This stuff was great!!!!...

One application I used it for had our shop machinist hopping for a few weeks...I went to the lab, where they tested new uses for this plastic...They gave me some 3/8ths thick sheets..I cut them into 20" long strips, 21/2 in wide...The had our machinist cut me edges on opposing sides, drilled three holes in the at the center... Viola !!!!!...Blades for our three riding mowers...These plastic blades cut the grass cleaner, and lasted 5 times longer than metal blades....Our plant manager was very impressed, I got a pat on the back, I have no idea if that application will ever be used, but I saved the company a ton of money on metal blades... But like all things the guys that ran the mowers were not the most brilliant people in the world, like metal blades, these blades couldn't mow rocks, curbs or other fixed objects either..... :?...

So my money says its that GUR plastic we made...OH Yeah once extruded, machined the shaving could not be remelted or mixed into later batches???

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
imported post

redbaron wrote:
my money says its that GUR plastic we made...OH Yeah once extruded, machined the shaving could not be remelted or mixed into later batches???
Very impressive plastic, indeed...just a wonder though, if it's more durable than steel and non-recyclable...wonder what would happen to "ALL" the scraps once this product caught on ????...I mean they would have to go somewhere...the landfills?....outer space?...just sayin :?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.