Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Anybody had experience with either do the self-refill or having it done at a photo shop? Costco does them for about $10 each ($18 to purchase new) and I'm just wondering if they work as well.

Thanks,
Steve

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

I"ve tried them (refilled both ways) & more often than not was not satisfied. :byebye:

·
Premium Member
1,356 Posts
imported post

I have an HP Officejet and have refilled it myself many times with good results. If you let them run completely out of ink the refill doesn't always work.
I haven't used the Costco refills but I know some businesses that do with good results.

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
imported post

We tried a few times with two different printers, each time the 'new ink' caused the print heads to go bad.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

I get new cartridges in bulk from tonerdepot2010 on ebay.

Ends up costing me $2 per new cartridge in the high yield compatible cartridges.
The ink is a good as any factory ink and you can't tell the difference in density, flow or hue.

At that price, I'm not going to ruin a shirt and have my jets clog the next day.

He's out of Canada and it takes a while to get shipments but when it gets there, all fears are over.

I buy the 30 cartridge set (5 complete sets including black) for $59.95 shipped to my door.

I can't get one and a half complete sets of the factory stuff for that.

Some things just aren't worth trying to squeak another buck out of.

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
imported post

I have had success with the refils from Walgreens both the black and color.

·
Premium Member
5,377 Posts
imported post

I have a HP 842C and refill my black cartridges without a problem. Colour cartridges have a foam in them and are harder to work with so I buy new ones. Since I don't run much colour it isn't a big deal.

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
imported post

I've been using refills on my Officejet 6300 for a couple of years with no problems. Printers are inexpensive in comparison to the cost of ink cartridges. Even if the heads clog up, the printer itself has become disposable. Unless you have a high end printer, I'd go with refills.

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
imported post

Hi Rudy,

Do you use these cartridges for photos or just general use? A set of 30 for my printer is cheaper than buyingonebranded set.

And free shipping for the ones I need!!!

Thanks,

Rudy wrote:

Ends up costing me $2 per new cartridge in the high yield compatible cartridges.
The ink is a good as any factory ink and you can't tell the difference in density, flow or hue.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Greg and Carol wrote:
Hi Rudy,

Do you use these cartridges for photos or just general use? A set of 30 for my printer is cheaper than buyingonebranded set.

And free shipping for the ones I need!!!

Thanks,

Rudy wrote:

Yes, for photos, manuals and labels for all the 'Rudy's' stuff except the business cards. Absolutely indistinguishable from the branded ink. You could move the factory label over to these and never know the difference. They even seal them with the same tear open vacuum sealed bags.

It is so cheap that I don't even worry about what the Mrs is printing or how many 8x10s she asks me to make for her. Color printing costs are simply not a factor any more.

My printer is an Epson Artisan 710. I bought it to get away from HP's ink rape business and to have a nice networked all in wonder that also prints directly on printable CDs/DVDs and to have built in double-sided color printing (I use that for the manuals as I print originals each time). I also wanted individual ink carts so I didn't have to throw away more HP ink just because one ran dry.
The scanner is also pretty amazing. Labels and card stock go right through it.

It made it worth the little extra money for start up getting the machine. Great printer and all the computers in the house print to it directly over the network.

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
imported post

Thanks for the info Rudy.

I just ordered a set for my Epson R220 - not a "business printer" but it does a very nice job of photos and general purpose printing. I also do most of my CD/DVD labels on it. We stopped doing much colour printing because of the cost compared to mono-colourlaser, but at these prices we'll get back to colour printing.

Again, thanks.

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
imported post

The package of ink carts arrived today. Actually it's pretty good delivery time to our small town on the prairie ;) Well packaged too. As you said, each cart seems to be very well sealed so there shouldn't be any problem achieving the expected shelf life.

I haven't put any in the printer, but that will happen over the next day or two.

Regards, and thanks for the link, to the ink

·
Premium Member
1,822 Posts
imported post

Hey! Haven't any of you guys heard of "The Paperless Office"? :ROFL:

·
Pwhoever
3,084 Posts
imported post

We went "paperless" here at work several years ago and now go through almost 6-7 times the amount of paper we used to use....

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Greg and Carol wrote:
The package of ink carts arrived today. Actually it's pretty good delivery time to our small town on the prairie ;) Well packaged too. As you said, each cart seems to be very well sealed so there shouldn't be any problem achieving the expected shelf life.

I haven't put any in the printer, but that will happen over the next day or two.

Regards, and thanks for the link, to the ink
You are going to like that ink. I had to change a light cyan this morning and I really didn't mind at all.

For you 'paperless' guys our there, apparently you don't have someone in the house who likes to print digital photos, and in my case, package labels and full color installation manuals. Guess I could just glue an unlabled CD to the outside of the package. :cool:

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
imported post

Wish they had the toner cartridges for the Samsung clx3170. I'd give them a try. They don't list them on the site though. They usually cost be about $40 per toner cartridge. They do last a long time though. We've used almost 2 black and one yellow in the last year. I like the color laser better than the color ink jet.

·
Premium Member
768 Posts
imported post

I rarely print things (prefer to just keep it electronic) but my partner prints a number of things - she uses the refills from Cartridge World and has never had an issue. One time (out of many, many times) the cartridge didn't work (I think something wrong with the traces on the connection plate) - they tested again, apologized, and replaced at no cost and gave a discount on a second one. Otherwise, never had a problem.

She did try to refill herself once...lets just say it was months before she became "unstained" :cheesygrin: ...and the kitchen walls had to be repainted...and the kitchen floor had to be re-tiled...and the cabinet had to be sanded down and stained...:doh:

Needless to say to say that was the first, last, and only time for that experiment...

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
imported post

Back about 98 or 99, we experimented with refilling the cartridges on an Epson printer. After a couple refills, the printer quit. It was still under warranty, and when we talked to tech support, about his 3rd question was if we were refilling the cartridges. We admitted it, and he said that was a common problem and sent us a rebuilt printer. I was surprised they covered it. We didn't use any more refills with that printer. The refill technology has come a long way since then. I haven't heard of anyone having a problem for a long time.

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
imported post

Hi Ellen,

That too has been a concern of mine, but Rudy has used inks from this supplier without issue, so that's good enough for me.

My Epson R220 does a nice job of printing and is quite good with photos, but it's at the lower end of the photo printer spectrum and has limited adjustability and it's difficult to set-up (can't do profiles)to workperfectly with PhotoShop. The CD/DVD feed tray is getting a bit flaky. All in all, it's about time to be replacedbut I don't mind buying more ink as long as it's working, and at this price I didn't have to do too much thinking :)

I've replaced three colour carts. These are a bit smaller than the Epson ones so they aren't quite as snug in the carry tray,although there's no printing problems. After changing a cart, a message comes up saying that I'm using a non-genuine ink and my warranty may be in jeopardy (or words to that effect). I have a chip resetter so maybe I'll do reset some carts and see if that gets rid of the nag message.

The test pages, DVD's, regular printing, and photos seem to be OKand the inks are somewhere around 1/6 of what I pay at my favourite office supplies store.

Regards,

Ladybird wrote:
I ruined an Epson printer with refills. They blocked the heads and eventually leaked inside the printer.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.