Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
41 - 60 of 101 Posts

·
Administrator
28,665 Posts
I'm not finding voltage anywhere on the black wire. Does that mean it's at the switch?
If you are getting power to the switch and none out of it yes it does. You did check the dogbone fuse?

·
Registered
1988 Honda GL1500
755 Posts
Probably, try putting a temporary jumper cable between red at switch and black at switch to see if everything lights up.
If not try going direct from battery pos to black at switch which bypasses all power connections and fuses.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
All fuses are okay. I get power to the clock, radio and cruise control pad.
I seem to remember having to remove the fairing to get at the switch. Anybody know if that's true?

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Well, there's no point in trying to hide stupidity. Everybody I meet sees it immediately.
However, I prefer the term, "simple minded". It sounds nicer. Note the title of this thread.

So, I tested and tested at every junction on the black wire that I could get my probe on.

If we go back in the thread, you may remember the faulty black wire on the 8 pin connector. I'm back to that. For some reason I thought the top part of that black connector was the input. Not so, and I am getting power on the other half. The half that comes directly off the switch. So...

I am stupid. And I can prove it!

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
62,332 Posts
not to worry,
I have been chasing power wires to the truck's right passenger Window Motor....

Kept thinking the fuse was blown, nope, it is good under the hood, and in the Dash Panel also,
plus, all of the other windows work....

my test light ground was not good....... even though, I had clipped it to the Door Frame screws!!!!
that frickin door is NOT a Ground!!!!

Motor is bad, motor is $26 from rock auto
the entire window regulator with motor is $46.00

I figure it is good Insurance to order a Regulator with the Motor Attached!!!
there must be at least six different motors available for my truck???

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Well, I called in the Calvary, or at least a guy who says he's smart, and he says it is the switch.
I get power to the black wire at that 8 pin plug but not past that plug. Jumping the connection didn't help. He says that indicates high resistance in the ignition switch.

So, I, or Bike, have a real problem on our hands or handlebars.

And as best as I can tell, the fairing does have to come off to get at the switch.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
I bet your correct but have you sprayed cleaner in it,I use marvel mystery oil on every switch I have,keeps working a long time,just flood it with mm oil

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Into the key hole,be generous

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Well, I tried spraying some contact cleaner in the key slot and running the key through its entire range a few times.
So far, still nuttin'.

So far, all I can find for a replacement is the aftermarket (Emgo?) from Sabre Cycle.

I've seen postings on how to reach that switch, without pulling the fairing, but I can't see the bolts on mine.

·
Registered
1988 Honda GL1500
755 Posts
Not sure about your switch but the 1000 had the contacts in a seperate plastic bit clipped to the lock assembly so you could swap the contacts and keep the same key

·
Administrator
28,665 Posts
Would it be less trouble to remove the upper triple clamp, probably not all the way, just enough to access the bolts? Just put a hidden toggle switch and connect the black wire & a hot wire to it.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Would it be less trouble to remove the upper triple clamp, probably not all the way, just enough to access the bolts? Just put a hidden toggle switch and connect the black wire & a hot wire to it.
I'll have to see if taking off that t-clamp is doable.
That should eliminate one of the issues, the air line between the forks.

·
Registered
1988 Honda GL1500
755 Posts
Thete are 2 different contact base units, one of them has an extra spade contact, if you can trace an Emgo catalogue they used to do both, i know i have one of them new in a box in my garage but not sure which one.
Honda didnt list the contact part seperate for some bikes but i think yours is same as the cbx 1000 which used to be available genuine.
If yours is same as the nos emgo i have here you are welcome to it, you just need to check number of wires às no point posting from UK if its the wrong one8

·
Registered
1988 Honda GL1500
755 Posts
If it is the same as cbx its part number 35101422007 which has 5 spade contacts(no contact in middle top row) suposedly discontinued from Honda but an Italian seller on ebay is listing some, i will check what i have in my garage and let you know.
Still a pain to get the lock off but at least you keep the same key

·
Registered
881 Posts
I'd be taking the front fairing off. 4 bolts, and a couple of connectors. Have a friend help. Gives great access to the front end. Don't need the fairing on to operate the bike.

Taking the key switch out without taking off the front fairing is really working in a small confined space. Seeing what you are working on is a bonus.

41 - 60 of 101 Posts