Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I am having problems with my engine backfiring at or above 5,000 RPM's, it may also be cutting ou, but I'm not sure of that, it just feels like that because when it backfires, it looses power.

I'm thinking that the high RPM jets in one or more of my carburators may be clogged because of my "RUST" problem in my fuel tank.

I've tried SeaFoam, but the problemstill persists.

I'm thinking the only and best way to get to the problem isto take both myfuel tank and carburators out and clen them and rebuild my carburators at the same time.

Are there any shortcuts I could try, just so I can run my bike? I still plan to pull both items and do the job right.

Oh yea! the MC starts and idles very good and runs OK until you get up into the higher gears and the RPM's at or above 5,000 like I said above.

Rockhound Rider :coollep:

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
imported post

I would go out and ride it until it acts up then immediately shut off the petcock and kill the engine. Then check the color of the spark plugs to see if one is whiter than the others, and unscrew the floatbowl drains to see if the same amount of gas drains from each one.

Q

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
imported post

That's a good suggestion. Mine was doing the same thing after a Randakk carb rebuild. Come to find out one of the plugs was black, and the float level was so far off it was dumping way too much gas into the cylinder causing the misfire on hills.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.