Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hey compadres,
Need some help figuring this one out. About 6 mo. ago installed Dave Campbells electrical harness on my GL1100 (1982). After the install took a road trip and some local riding with about 700 miles since the conversion.
Well, with all the honey due items on my list, it's been about a month since I've been on it. Some friends called about riding out for coffee and I jumped on the chance since the weather has been beautiful these last few days in SW Washington. No rain, so you have to take advantage of it when you can.
Anyway, like it has since I installed the harness it fired right up. As I let it idle to warm up it quit. Battery and starter spinning hard, but no spark. I found the little 3 amp fuse on the harness that goes to the coils blown. This wire goes from the regulator to the coils and has a 3 amp fuse to protect the coils I believe from problems from pulse generators and bad connections. Anyway I changed the fuse out and it starts right up and at high (say above 2000 rpm it runs great. As soon as the rpm is allowed to drop to idle it blows the fuse within 2-3 seconds.
The bike has run so strong since the harness, I can't believe I'm having any problems. I took the wire (that has the fuse on it that goes directly to power the two coils) off and re insulated it while looking for any rubs or faults. There were none, and now 4 fuses later it continues to blow the fuse at idle.
Any help much appreciated. Thank you for any help :baffled:
Jeff

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

I would contact Dave Campbell directly. I have also used his harnesses' on 3 different wings and he has always been very helpful, with technical support. Plus, he would like to hear about the problem to possibly foolproof the harness, if this is a common problem.

I suspect it is not the harness, but I may be wrong.

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks Mike,
I have already received a reply from Dave (fast), and he thinks it is a pulse gen or the ICU (most probably a terminal or bad connection). Now all I need to do is identify this ICU. Thanks for getting back to me. I hope to be riding soon again. The harness from Dave made it a whole new pony after installation. More than worth it.
Jeff:)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.