Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a 2004 GL1800. I just purchased a set of Show Chrome replacement trunk and saddlebag moldings with LED lights. To install the trunk lights, I need to remove the tail light assemblys on the trunk and splice the wires into the running lights. Here lies the problem. The tail lights are held in with 3 acorn nuts threaded onto bolts that I presume are molded into the plastic of tail light. On the left side, 2 nuts came off OK and the 3rd just spins (feels like the whole bolt is spinning almost like the nut was put on too tight at the factory) On the right side, one nut came off and 2 are spinning. I have tried backwards pressure with vice grips and pulling while turning - no luck. I have tried a socket mounted into a drill a hit it with high speed to see if the nut would break loose from the bolt - no luck. ANY THOUGHTS??

Like I said earlier, it seems that the entire bolt stud is turning with the nut. An option would be to wire the lights to a switch up front, however, I still need to get into the tail lights should I ever blow a bulb. If I take this to a dealer, would one think Honda's warranty would cover it?



Thanks!
 

·
Postpubescent member
Joined
·
36,382 Posts
imported post

:waving::waving:Welcome to the Best Goldwing Site on the Internet TNelson!:waving::waving:

I know there wasa poston the forum with something similar, but have been unable to find it. Maybe someone will remember and post it. If worst comes to worst you could cut it off with a Dremel tool, being careful to cool it often with water to prevent melting the plastic. Once you have the tail light out it ought to be possible to cut the stud out and glue a replacement. If you could bed in a hex head bolt to replace the stud and plastic weld it in or use a glue to hold it or instead possibly seal up the hole and drill it out for a self tapping screw that could be screwed into it from the trunk. Not much to lose if the warranty won't cover it so it's worth a try.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
720 Posts
imported post

Hi TNelsonand welcome to the forum. This happened to me as well (saddlebag lights) when I was replacing my lights with the clear Eurostyle ones. It's a common problem I'm afraid and I had to break the studs out of the lights. This has happened to lots of people and it's generally accepted that the nuts were put on too tight at the factory.Honda don't want to know, because you are fitting it yourself.

Bottom line is you will have to break the studs or just leave the lights in place. You can just remove the bottom trunk cover and splice the wires there. If the wires for the saddlebag trims are long enough you can run them up to the same place as you spliced the trunk lights, if not long enough then you will have to splice them to the harness inside the sadlebag.
 

·
Other side of the pond
Joined
·
3,409 Posts
imported post

Do as 03Silver says and splice into the harness under the bottom trunk cover. You have a problem with the light that 2 bolts have stripped out. You may need to squeeze some silicone behind the light to stop it rattling.

Oh almost forgot, welcome to the forum TNelson
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
510 Posts
imported post

The trunk lid catches have a similar problem. They tend to bend and have to be straightened every now and then as they miss the locking mechanism. If you put them on too tight the little plastic lug they screw into is so flimsy it simply breaks off leaving you with a major problem. I think we have to remember that we are screwing a metal screw into plastic and the plastic will break first. I have formed the opinion that for £17,000 we don't get anywhere nearthe quality on the 1800 that we actually pay for.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Thank you for the responses. I will look into the wiring harness solution. I am also considering just splicing them into a longer wire and running them into a switch up front so I can leave them off if desired (daytime).



Thanks !!
 

·
GERIATRIC MEMBER
Joined
·
57,413 Posts
imported post

Hey Littlejohn :stumped: Where have you been, we haven't heard from you since the 30th June :headbanger: is that the result of your birthday bash. :bananas:

:doh::18red::doh:
 

·
GERIATRIC MEMBER
Joined
·
57,413 Posts
imported post

Hey TNelson :leprechaun: Welcome to the best Goldwing Forum on the net. :clapper:

:weightlifter::18red::weightlifter:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

I stopped in to a Honda dealer this afternoon. He said he has seen this many times on the trunk tail lights but never on the saddlebag lights. The problem he finds is that the bolt stud bottoms out inside of the cap nut and sticks. Honda almost needs to make the plastic housing a bit thicker so the bolt stud does not protrude so far or use a small washer so the bolt cannot reach the bottom of the cap nut or use open ended nuts (best option in my opinion). He has never had one he could not break loose before. I told him I have tried a high speed drill hoping that the initial jolt would free it, I have tried reverse pressure, etc... He is checking with the Honda rep to see about replacing the tail lights under warranty if need be since this problem came from the factory.

In the mean time, in speaking with him, I decided to install a set of toggle switches that sit on top of my front brake fluid reservoir. He is going to wire it directly to the battery with an in-linefuse and a relay to an accessory fuse so the power won't be on to the switches unless the key is on. This seems best so I can turn the lights off during the day and it gives me 2 additional accessory power points (GPS, MP3 player, etc). And with the relay, I can't be an idiot and leave them on so as to drain my battery when the bike is off. :gunhead:

It's all good when things work out like they should. I'll make another post when we find out if Honda will warrant the tail lights so others that might have this issue have some info to go on.

Thanks for your responses! :waving:

Tom - Indiana
 

·
Postpubescent member
Joined
·
36,382 Posts
imported post

TNelson wrote:
I stopped in to a Honda dealer this afternoon. He said he has seen this many times on the trunk tail lights but never on the saddlebag lights. The problem he finds is that the bolt stud bottoms out inside of the cap nut and sticks.
Seems like it might be a good idea for anyone who takes one of those nuts off to put a washer under them to prevent that from happening in the future.
 

·
Other side of the pond
Joined
·
3,409 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
TNelson wrote:
I stopped in to a Honda dealer this afternoon. He said he has seen this many times on the trunk tail lights but never on the saddlebag lights. The problem he finds is that the bolt stud bottoms out inside of the cap nut and sticks.
Seems like it might be a good idea for anyone who takes one of those nuts off to put a washer under them to prevent that from happening in the future.

There's been lots of saddlebag lights with this problem on the GL1800 only forums, so it isn't a new or uncommon problem.
Good idea about the washr Paul. :waving:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2 Posts
imported post

I'm new to this so bear with me. I have a similar problem with the studs turning in the housing except I just need to replace a burnt out buld in my 02 Wing trunk lights. Anyone ever noticed how the studs are put in the plastic such as press in, or studs with a small head. Don't really:baffled: want to replace but no choice at this point
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,502 Posts
imported post

ncmech wrote:
I'm new to this so bear with me. I have a similar problem with the studs turning in the housing except I just need to replace a burnt out buld in my 02 Wing trunk lights. Anyone ever noticed how the studs are put in the plastic such as press in, or studs with a small head. Don't really:baffled: want to replace but no choice at this point
Cut the acorn nut off with a small cut off wheel on a dremel tool.....down two sides.....pry it apart with a small screwdriver.........replace with an open nut and lock washer. It is hard to see and recessed so you will cut into the trunk housing a bit...so you can fill the small saw cut with abs glue.....the studs are molded into the light housing.....a small drill hole down to the stud.....and filled with super glue will lock the stud again. Kit
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
224 Posts
imported post

My sons 2008 Wing had this problem with his left trunk light. All three were spinning. The dealer let me remove the acorn nuts. I placed a 10mm deep well socket on the nuts as a drill guide and then used a drill bit that was the biggest that would fit inside the socket and drilled just deep enough to remove the acron nuts. On the recessed nuts I used a mirror to look to make sure I was drilling straight and to periodical check on the depth I had drilled. All this said, the new light(s) were free under warranty because they were fogging up and water was leaking in at this location.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,502 Posts
imported post

Buzzmoe2 wrote:
My sons 2008 Wing had this problem with his left trunk light. All three were spinning. The dealer let me remove the acorn nuts. I placed a 10mm deep well socket on the nuts as a drill guide and then used a drill bit that was the biggest that would fit inside the socket and drilled just deep enough to remove the acron nuts. On the recessed nuts I used a mirror to look to make sure I was drilling straight and to periodical check on the depth I had drilled. All this said, the new light(s) were free under warranty because they were fogging up and water was leaking in at this location.
Thank you........I put that little trick in my bag of keepers. Kit
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top